The Restricted Area, REVEALED...

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

The Restricted Area, REVEALED...

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Ok, do you remember the topic about the restricted area...?

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9106

People were wondering what was inside it, and finaly, Ive successfully got inside!! My friend, decrypted the security protocall overites, whilst I entered... There is four screenshots.. IN ORDER of how this all went...

1. I first travelled through a system, to my targeted barracks...

2. I checked the outside, with my crappy targeting lense...

3. Then I went inside the barracks, and once my friends decrypted the security crap blah blah blah... I finaly entered! This is the main corridor inside the "Restricted area" room...

4. This part was terrible... I was caught by a Cyborg-Guard and it kicked the crap outta my Enviro-Suit, (as you can see on the HUD)...

The "Restricted Area" is MASSIVE! Full of Geneticly-Enhanced super mutants as I said, and much more... After getting beat-up by the Cyborg Guard, I fell unconcious, and I woke up inside a Cryogenic Pod.

Then my PC crashed, and I got pissed off...

(PS: I know my HUD is crap, but I tried my hardest.. :S)
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

Cool....and I thought it was just some dumb old Black Hole generator :)

Maybe thats what the Cyborg Mutant Ninja Gentically Engineered Ninja Cyborgs were guarding? Anyways, cool screenies.

BTW, where'd that fourth one come from?
My Dream Machine (Soon to Be):

Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Quad Core
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
320GB SATA HDD (Raid 0)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Jeff2121 wrote:Cool....and I thought it was just some dumb old Black Hole generator :)

Maybe thats what the Cyborg Mutant Ninja Gentically Engineered Ninja Cyborgs were guarding? Anyways, cool screenies.

BTW, where'd that fourth one come from?

Trade secret. :wink:

I made the HUD (Visor thing), the effects...
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

Wait, you mean that is the actual room? And you just drew a HUD and some lasers? :shock:
My Dream Machine (Soon to Be):

Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Quad Core
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
320GB SATA HDD (Raid 0)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Very imaginative. :P
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Jeff2121 wrote:Wait, you mean that is the actual room? And you just drew a HUD and some lasers? :shock:

Yes, and no....

(PS: Halleck, I always enjoy modding stuff.. And being imaginative.. :D )
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MostlyconfusedFPSer »

*Just read the topic 5 times*

AHAHAHAHA.... I was like "WOW! *writes questions out of excitement*" But then I went back to make sure what to ask and I noticed the 3rd pic was an IRL pic but then I read the topic AGAIN and I was like "x.x I was about to be frustrated over my own stupidity" So yea.... Congrats on the imaginative thinkings. *gives a cookie*
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

MostlyconfusedFPSer wrote:*Just read the topic 5 times*

AHAHAHAHA.... I was like "WOW! *writes questions out of excitement*" But then I went back to make sure what to ask and I noticed the 3rd pic was an IRL pic but then I read the topic AGAIN and I was like "x.x I was about to be frustrated over my own stupidity" So yea.... Congrats on the imaginative thinkings. *gives a cookie*

Heh, thanks!

But seriously, if I one day get a modding tool, I could put this into the REAL restricted area on Vegastrike.. :twisted:

Also, I'm bringing out some more pics..
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Just so you know, there is no do-all modding tool.

My personal VS modding/hacking toolkit consists of:
  • GAlex's units.csv editor
  • Gnumeric/OpenOffice.org calc for other assorted csv editing jobs
  • The GIMP to edit images (textures and sprites usually)
  • imagemagick for additional scaling and information
  • Wings3D for tweaking models
  • Blender for advanced model cleanup
  • 3D Exploration (for windows, now I run it under WINE) to preview models and find problems
  • vegastrike's mesher utility for converting obj/mtl models to ship
  • a text editor with syntax highlighting. (I use GNOME GEdit and Vim but anything will do.)
  • Also, a terminal for svn operations, mesher, and random hackery.
You can get all of these tools for free on Windows or Linux (or even Mac OS X in many cases.) The hardest thing is just getting experience with the way everything works and fits together under the hood of VS.

When I used to develop VS on windows, I also used some rudimentary batch scripts to interact with mesher since the windows command line sucks.

Now to answer your question. ;)
It's not that hard to add new rooms to bases (or entire new bases) in Vegastrike, all the python scripts are there in /bases/. You just have to look at what's already there. I learned some stuff that wasn't documented, such as the coordinate system, etc. If you really want to work on this I can show you how, all you need is a text editor. :D
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Halleck wrote:Just so you know, there is no do-all modding tool.

My personal VS modding/hacking toolkit consists of:
  • GAlex's units.csv editor
  • Gnumeric/OpenOffice.org calc for other assorted csv editing jobs
  • The GIMP to edit images (textures and sprites usually)
  • imagemagick for additional scaling and information
  • Wings3D for tweaking models
  • Blender for advanced model cleanup
  • 3D Exploration (for windows, now I run it under WINE) to preview models and find problems
  • vegastrike's mesher utility for converting obj/mtl models to ship
  • a text editor with syntax highlighting. (I use GNOME GEdit and Vim but anything will do.)
  • Also, a terminal for svn operations, mesher, and random hackery.
You can get all of these tools for free on Windows or Linux (or even Mac OS X in many cases.) The hardest thing is just getting experience with the way everything works and fits together under the hood of VS.

When I used to develop VS on windows, I also used some rudimentary batch scripts to interact with mesher since the windows command line sucks.

Now to answer your question. ;)
It's not that hard to add new rooms to bases (or entire new bases) in Vegastrike, all the python scripts are there in /bases/. You just have to look at what's already there. I learned some stuff that wasn't documented, such as the coordinate system, etc. If you really want to work on this I can show you how, all you need is a text editor. :D

Ah, right. ;) I could use Anim8tor or Wings 3D to make the room and all the other scripting stuff you said, (Python).

And some old Tools could come in handy, maybe add the shooting part..? :twisted:
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Actually adding some way to shoot things would be rather difficult. Remember that VS bases are currently static images, although privateer mods use animated base elements.

Anything more complicated than, say, an extra room or so would probably be a monumental task to code. :shock:

In the future, the transition to OGRE will open up the possibility of having 3d walkaround bases (a long-standing feature request) and possibly even some sort of shooter thing if there are people with the inclination to code and create art for it.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Right now, I don't know about the coding, but modeling....?

Certainly! :)
elli222
Trader
Trader

Post by elli222 »

can i have the base picture for the corridor? i *might* try to make a little modification to my vegastrike
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

elli222 wrote:can i have the base picture for the corridor? i *might* try to make a little modification to my vegastrike
Ummm... Yes. Sure...

Give me time to dig through all my crap and I'll send you it. ;)
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

This is an AWSOME idea!!!!!

Post by Dragonseraph Angel »

Salutations! :mrgreen:

Again it is I, the over-enthusiastic :oops: visonary, Dragonseraph Angel. :D

*Dark-Blood-Hound*
Ah, right. I could use Anim8tor or Wings 3D to make the room and all the other scripting stuff you said, (Python).

And some old Tools could come in handy, maybe add the shooting part..?

*Halleck*
Actually adding some way to shoot things would be rather difficult. Remember that VS bases are currently static images, although privateer mods use animated base elements.

Anything more complicated than, say, an extra room or so would probably be a monumental task to code.

In the future, the transition to OGRE will open up the possibility of having 3d walkaround bases (a long-standing feature request) and possibly even some sort of shooter thing if there are people with the inclination to code and create art for it.

Very, very, clever trick, Dark-Blood-Hound! :mrgreen:

A way to explore the planets and bases would be ABSOLUTELY AWSOME!!!!! :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
It would add an entirely new dimension to the game! :D You could by weapons/shields/upgrades for your own personal arsenal, just like you would for a ship. It would be wonderful if someone worked on this, though of course, I, being inexpereinced, have no idea how hard it would be, :? :( but there should be some way to do it in a practical way, :) if you had the time, is there not? :? :P