VegaStrike -- on sale on eBay

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

VegaStrike -- on sale on eBay

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Well, I had to let you guys know about this one. It certainly got me thinking, specially as this is not the only OSS product they're selling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0090477132

Of course, it's perfectly legal to sell GPL'd software as long as you respect the license conditions and keep the notice -- in the disk itself.

That's right, nothing in the GPL forces you to advertise the fact that what you're selling is, in fact, OSS. It allows you to distribute it, sell copies and provide support services as long as you keep the notice within the distribution.

Not surprisingly, the provider fails to mention the OSS nature of VS and every other piece of software they're selling (a list that includes Blender and OpenOffice). It remains to be seen whether he posts the notice and license with the CDs though.

In more than one way: dang.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

nice to see your avatar Cub been a while busy busy. looks to be that there are still people that look for deals to good to be true i've gotten a few spam mails offering OSS stuff i wonder if forwarding them to the developers so they can check for GPL compliance is in order.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

i hef chack google and i fonunt this:
http://www.dangerdeep.net/forums/viewto ... 7aeebd56e5

And i contact ebay about this.

Thx for the info CubOfJudahsLion.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

well, we've all been warned about gpl. lol. still i wish the seller couldve at least made mention that it was open source. i know i know. not needed. but hey when they open the disk and see the gpl license stuck there, they'll probably think they were better off dling it. ;)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

i hef send a report to ebay
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I've additionally contacted the auction winner and sent him all information. I'm not sure if eBay blocked me because I'm not affiliated on eBay as seller or bidder with the guy.

I told him a way to withdraw his bid: The screenshots are from VegaTrek, not from VegaStrike. So he could argue that the game he'll get is not the game he has bid for. Maybe the poor guy can save his money.
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

i found this in the opitions form apexsoftware
Feedback Policy:

We want to receive and leave positive feedback for each and every purchase.
If you have any issues with your purchase, please let us know and we will work it out.
Negative feedback without any communications will result in negative feedback to the buyer.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: VegaStrike -- on sale on eBay

Post by Shissui »

I am not sure that all of the material is GPL --

How is the art and the music used in the game licensed? I think that the creator retains copyright & it is used with permission. If true, then there is copyright violation by selling the art/music without an extended letter of permission. They could legally sell VS if they stripped the art & music and replaced it = within the boundaries of GPL repackaging, for which they may be fairly compensated.

If this is *not* the case, then I suggest that somebody slap a copyright on whatever artwork goes onto the next disk pressing. Then, they would be able to auction the software distribution, but we could protest to copyright violation if they resell the disk itself (ie - selling without repackaging).

We want to receive and leave positive feedback for each and every purchase.
If you have any issues with your purchase, please let us know and we will work it out.
Negative feedback without any communications will result in negative feedback to the buyer.
This is pretty typical of eBay, even if relatively few sellers are honest/blatant enough to say it openly.
Last edited by Shissui on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Re: VegaStrike -- on sale on eBay

Post by www2 »

i hef notes a dutch tv programe about scams about this user.

if som one want to tell about this scame on the ducht tv contact this adres:

Redactie Opgelicht
P.O. box 28555
1202 LP Hilversum
The Nederland
Tel: 0900-6743542 (only in the nederland)
Email: opgelicht@tros.nl
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

^ - -^ Heh- I used to do this sort of thing back when I started in college- difference being that I would sell 'supplementary bandwidth' and 'electronic-research' at a fixed rate of $7.50/gig.
^ - -^ Things were good until I got swamped with orders for Gunbound and consequently three 'watchdog' groups threatened to sue me for 'piracy'. [Morons] didnot even serve me, just demanded 'money or else'.

^- - ^ Those were the days before my housemates discovered they were a drug dealer, bartender, brewer, and a frenchman that combined to form a drunken rabble every day and night.
^- - ^ ...
^- -^ I think I now understand why I hate freshmen so badly.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think it's hilarious they're selling Vega Strike :-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

The cheek.

I've got to email this thread to my brother. He has had the same thing happen to him.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

i think it's alright too. but the price just doesnt seem to justify it. anyway, it was a bid. :P
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

snow_Cat wrote:^ - -^ Heh- I used to do this sort of thing back when I started in college- difference being that I would sell 'supplementary bandwidth' and 'electronic-research' at a fixed rate of $7.50/gig.
^ - -^ Things were good until I got swamped with orders for Gunbound and consequently three 'watchdog' groups threatened to sue me for 'piracy'. [Morons] didnot even serve me, just demanded 'money or else'.

^- - ^ Those were the days before my housemates discovered they were a drug dealer, bartender, brewer, and a frenchman that combined to form a drunken rabble every day and night.
^- - ^ ...
^- -^ I think I now understand why I hate freshmen so badly.
You did this sort of thing??? Haa. An ex-spammer in our own midst. We have been receiving e-mails like that. How would one stop it?

Team Fortress 2
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:We have been receiving e-mails like that. How would one stop it?
^ - -^ Easy. To avoid recieving unwanted e-mails don't check your e-mail.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

snow_Cat wrote:
micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:We have been receiving e-mails like that. How would one stop it?
Why am i suprised? I was not execpting that.

Team Fortress 2
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

snow_Cat wrote:
:lol:
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Problem is i can't do that. I live and breath by my e-mail.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Problem is i can't do that. I live and breath by my e-mail.
Then spam should not be a problem at all -- think of it as a form of pollution, so that makes it a lot like the air that you also breathe.

Edit: But, personally, I have air filters in my office and I do the same for my email -- I run it first through "Spam Assassin" & then through a fairly complex procmail file tailored to my personal environment. The combination removes all but about (1 to 3)/1000 spam, except when the spammers get a new idea . . . and then it is maintenance time again.
Last edited by Shissui on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

^- - ^ The best thing I can suggest is that you use filters to sort your mail into three categories:
  • known Contact
    Users (or bots) who you know.
  • known source
    Servers (or routers) who host contacts you know
  • unknown/unsorted
    Russell Baker wrote:Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

That requies energy. Something i don't have. But otherwise it is logical.