^ - -^ meow?

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

^ - -^ meow?

Post by snow_Cat »

^- - ^ Meow?
I'm back after many months away.

^. . ^ Still looking for a new job and someone to date who isn't obsessed with themselves.

^ - -^ Who took over the Masher front-end tool in my absence? I'd like to pick that up again if I could.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

another welcome back and as far as i know no one has touched your masher code yet :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

< · · > mew....

< . .> not ten minutes after I made that last post my Primary machine went all "PFN_List_Corrupt" on startup and sent me running in circles trying to fix it on the half-ased advice of various company techsupports.

^ - -^ I tried different bios configurations, diffrent bios versions, swapping hardware (perpherials, hd's, memory, video-cards), stripping out hardware, reinstallling windows (impossible:PFN errors), active refrigereation.

<- - > Finally I Googled and learned the following:
  1. There is a known unresolved issue with AMD 64 processors and NVidia SLI systems running XP/2K.
  2. There is a known unresolved issue with AMD 64 processors and CMedia systems running XP/2K
  3. There is a known unresolved issue with AMD 64 processors and Intel Pentium D systems and running XP/2K with DDR2
  • Replacing CPU, mobo and/or upgrading PSU (from a 1400VAR AC-independant re-generator) are the only solutions for PFN_List_Corrupt that I have not tried yet.
^><,^ It will be atleast another month before I have the replacement parts to resume programming.

<- -,> mew.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Ouch :cry:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

< . .> a liver lining...

Post by snow_Cat »

< . .> meow...
^ . .^ flipping through tht Gigabyte manual I noted that I could try using slots two and four (DDR2 bus positions three and four) instead of one and two (DDR2 slots one and three) and it worked ...

^. . ^ with one memory module locked down
^·o " and the other half in/out
^- - ^ I've yet to test whether or not any two of my modules will work.
^ - -^ And this does prove that my mobo is heat damaged, and will need replacing soon, else I'll have 1.5GB of DDR2 to scratch my back with.

^ -.-^ At any rate I'll be contributing widgets by the end of the month instead of in two.
edit wrote:^ - -^ I have discovered that the memory failure is caused by my northbridge heating the board, and memory until one of the modules fails hard. I suspect that the glue on the back of the (foil) warranty sticker expands causing ripples that short-out the surface mounted capacitors. This got me thinking about my old-old job in the technical department where when faced by a vendor hardware failure I would take the vendor warranty sticker off and the part would magically work. I wonder how many warranty claims for hardware failure are because of warranty stickers shorting (or otherwise interfering) with perfectly good hardware.

Unlike back then I have a very good chance of getting an RMA because I don't have some crook of a sales-rep embezzling 'warranty' fees and my vendor has extended me a life-time replacement warranty on all hardware I have purchased from them, provided the damage is not fire or water related... that has gotten me thinking just what [--] do people think I do with this stuff to make very specific stipulations about fire and water? This is not the only warranty I have that specifies ‘user fire’ as breaker. ^· ·^

I'm watching the holographic aluminum-foil 'warranty void if removed' label cool. The ripples are disappearing and the thing goes from perfectly flat on eht edge furthest from the northbridge to wrinkly and dipped torwards the hot edge. ^ . . ^