Pluto is dead...

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Pluto is dead...

Post by rockstar »

I've just read the news on Google and stumbled over an article about the results of the debate of the IAU in Prague. They've decided to split Planets into two categories now - we now have "planets" and "dwarf planets". Pluto lost his status as planet and the number of planets in our star star system is now reduced to eight.
The three new candidates - Xeres, Xena and Charon - had no chance of getting an planet-like status.

Here's an article from Associated Press on Mercury News

Maybe some of you guys might be interested...
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hiho rockstar!

I was thinking the whole evening to start this thread,
you were faster than me. :lol:

And if a conference of scientists decide, that we ( the human race) are all a part of a computer-simulation, what then?

Regards
Plueschinger
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

ask for a refund or reprograming maybe; the awnser is 42 :wink: even Pluto's discoverier was not sure of planetary status the orbit was problamatic and the mass was not right.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Pluto is dead...

Post by Zeog »

rockstar wrote:I've just read the news on Google and stumbled over an article about the results of the debate of the IAU in Prague. They've decided to split Planets into two categories now - we now have "planets" and "dwarf planets". Pluto lost his status as planet and the number of planets in our star star system is now reduced to eight.
Yes, that was quite a thriller. Despite that this is just arguing about a definition it quite raised the public's awareness of how crowded the solar system is. And we didn't start talking about NEOS (near earth objetcs) yet. If you think that that there are just a few other objects out there look at this: http://szyzyg.arm.ac.uk/~spm/
rockstar wrote:The three new candidates - Xeres, Xena and Charon - had no chance of getting an planet-like status.
Actually, they had a chance to become a planet, because the first proposal of a planet definition would had included them as planets. Now, they're already having the "dwarf planet" status. Their names aren't right though. The dwarf planet orbiting sun between Mars and Jupiter is called Ceres not Xeres. What you call Xena hasn't been officially named yet. Currently it is officially called 2003 UB313 but inofficially refered to as "Xena" or "Lila".

Why reading newspapers? Here is the official announcement from the IAU: http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.o ... index.html
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Next they'd be classifying all planetoids as teeny tiny dwarf planets. Then gas giants as very dark brown (lol) dwarves. Then classify all asteroid bodies orbitting palnets as moons (of course they are, at least.. satellites.. :wink: ), then finally Earth will be classified as nothing more than Starbirth slag.

Oh yeah... the Moon will be classified as a Giant Satellite, as opposed to Dwarf Satellites, like the pebbles on Saturn's rings, lol.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

My apologies for the spelling mistake... it was quite late yesterday and I just thought it might be interesting to post it here. Well, and the news link ain't that informative... I read the news on Google.de and just switched over to Google.com to find something in english.

The public's awareness is a result of that until yesterday it was one of the well known and untouched facts of science that we had nine planets in our lovely little star system and Pluto was one of them - at least that's what I guess. We all learned that quite early in school, didn't we?! It's a major change in general knowledge, although it's indeed absolutly unimportant for everyday's life.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

it WAS big news. It reached even our local stations. omigosh we only have 8 planets now. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

new system needed

Post by wirser »

maybe we need a brand new way of looking at the universe. like for earthquakes etc,
so like a size 1 would be atomic or simple molecule size and up,
the term planet would apply to certian set of orbit possibilities,

I was waiting to hear pluto was going to be called a moon for a while
if current_situation=fact and if current_situation=faith
then current_forcast = excitement
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I think it is totally irrelivent to life. Though important to PR. Make all planets different sizes.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Actually... I always knew 10 planets.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto & Charon.

What about Charon?
Is it a planet or not, in the end?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Charon is Pluto's moon, and is if I remember correctly, slightly smaller than Phobos.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

I seem to recall Charon being almost as big as Pluto, leading to the shared orbital point being oddly placed - will check on that.

Edit: Ok, so it's not almost as big - but the ratio is noteworthy (earth-moon numbers provided for comparison).

Charon — Diameter: 1172 KM
Pluto — Diameter: 2274 KM

Moon — Diameter: 3476 KM
Earth — Diameter: 12,756.3 KM

(Phobos and Deimos are both <25KM in diameter)
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

klauss wrote:What about Charon?
Is it a planet or not, in the end?
Officially, it's now a double dwarf planet together with Pluto. (A dwarf planet is not a planet, just smaller. It is a distinct class of objects.)

From the FAQ:

Q:Why is Pluto-Charon a “double [dwarf] planet” and not a “[dwarf] planet with a satellite”?

A: Both Pluto and Charon each are large enough (massive enough) to be spherical. Both bodies independently satisfy the definition of “[dwarf] planet”. The reason they are called a “double [dwarf] planet” is that their common centre of gravity is a point that is located in free space outside the surface of Pluto. Because both conditions are met: each body is “[dwarf] planet-like” and each body orbits around a point in free space that is not inside one of them, the system qualifies to be called a “double [dwarf] planet.”

(added the dwarf everywhere by hand as this was an old version)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

jackS wrote:Pluto — Diameter: 2274 KM
Moon — Diameter: 3476 KM
Go Moon!
I never realized it was that big. It never occurred to me comparing it to Pluto, and it never occurred to me that the Moon would win. Go Girl!*

(*) Moon, sp. "Luna", is a she: sp. "La luna".
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

it's interesting to not that the moon was always female.

Artemis, Diana, Selene, Luna, our won culture has myths of HER, we call her Bulan or Buwan. An especially poetic way of describing midnight in our dialect is "Udto sa Bulan" in english "Noon of the Moon". :wink:

The moon is actually quite small compared to Ganymede and Titan... :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Oblivion wrote:it's interesting to not that the moon was always female.
The moon is male in German (the sun is a female) and in Hobbit speak as well, if I recall correctly.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Japanese also uses a male pronoun for the Moon.

Enjoy the Choice :)
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Filed under the list of things Japanese, Germans and Hobbits have in common. That'll make a good trivia question some day.
-- My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

How about being ex-Axis?

:wink: Hobbits too probably.

Well, as I remember, to the elves , at least eldar of the western isles, the sun was male. Referred to as "aran". Hobbits share same language characteristics as the elves right? how come?

Well, I'm orucai anyway. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,