Football-Worldchampionship

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

Congratulations Argentine!
and happy birthday to Riquelme and Messi :)

I'm not so happy with this victory, Mexico would have been an easier opponent.
So we meet next Friday in the quarter final.
Now after the k.o.-sytem started, ony the best and the lucky ones survive, but that we meet so early,
the half-final or the final would have been better.

By the way, the goal from Messi in the 93.rd minute, should have counted, it was a mistake from the Schiedsrichter, I don't know the english word, (the man with the whistle).
Diego Maradona went after the first half time from his place and went to the v.i.p. lauch
and congratulated Franz Beckenbauer, who married yesterday, then to Sepp Blatter, the president of the FIFA, then he had a cigar, you now it is forbidden to smoke in a stadium during the championships,
bad people here tell, he got the cigar from Beckenbauer or Blatter, then he climbed up some lines of chairs and started smocking his begged cigar,(sended live in german television during the game).I think it was his own cuban cigar.

May the best team win.

Regards
Plueschinger
Last edited by plueschinger on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

referee is the world
you should bookmark this great site:
http://dict.leo.org/?search=

Yeah, the goal should have counted. But he also should have given some more yellows to argentina. So at the end, it was balanced.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

energyman76b wrote:]

If you get hit by a soccer boot, at the speed this guys run&kick, it really, really hurts.

It is sometimes acting, but most of the times genuine pain.

Luckily, as long as nothing is damaged, this pain will go away fast - and with some ice spray even faster, but at first, it hurts like hell...
Rationalize it all you want and try to pretend it's real, but it isn't. I remember a decade or so ago it was very common to see players tumbling several times after falling, until that was cracked down on. Now they tend to flare back and fall straight down. Wow, amazing how they fall completely differently now. It was fake then, and it is now, though they've removed one of the overly dramatic elements of it.

Seriously, watch a US game, or any of the Danish games from WC '98. Are they that much sturdier than everyone else? Bah.

If "simulation" is not such a problem, why is there article after article after article about it?

Whether you believe the pathetic show put on by so many players or not, it does have an affect on how the sport is perceived here in the old USA.

In the wake of our miserable exit this year, there are many failings listed. Lack of true stars, most of our kids playing some other higher profile/paying sport (in the US that is), lack of players in the European leagues, and others. Another that is commonly mentioned is that we are not good enough at diving. There are writers here who feel our chances are hurt by not acting enough. Unfortunately, changing that is only likely to get the team laughed at.

As long as the rest of the world tolarates and glorifies and justifies such behaviour, you can express no surprise that the sport has no popularity here. Seriously, I am a longtime player and a big fan of soccer (we didn't make that word up so please no pissing about terminology), but the constant lameness of the acting really makes it hard sometimes, and it doesn't help to have someone jump to the defence if the world's sport and tell me it's real. Don't insult me for saying it like it is.

Now, I'm not saying people never get hurt. Just that they play it up a little, and sometimes a lot. And when those times result in the game's only goal.. well, frustrating.

On a related note, I think it's safe to say Vlade Divac was widely mocked for constant flopping against Shaquille O'Neal. We hate it, and it is a big reason we for the most part find soccer lame. When a significant amount of the very rare goals comes from it, it's unwatchable. At least when Vlade did it it didn't usually alter the course of the game beyond repair.
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

You had your chance against Italie:
USA with 11 players, Italie with 10 players, and what you did,
instead of using this to win, you got two red cards, :roll: :wink:

So what do you expect, in four years, I hope, the USA will have learned from their mistakes.

Regards
Plueschinger
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's no surprise the USA doesn't shine on this sport.
It's too little "sponsored", to put it one way, by the media.
That is... they do have very good players. I know one guy, for instance, that was amazing at Soccer, and he was American. But they don't get rewards for that, other than the joy of being good at a good sport, so it's not likely that good teams will form up, or even enough compelling factors for the good players that exist to decide to dedicate their life to it instead of something else.
It's simply a second-grade sport in the US (at best), media-wise, and so the teams that go to WCs will always be less proficient, less motivated, less everything. Imagine that - the entire country, here, is hooked up to their TV sets watching our team's matches (even I that normally don't watch soccer - I usually say "playing is much better than watching"). So... our players have the entire country on their backs - supporting them. It's both pressure and support, I know, but it carries some weight.
I bet a small percentage of the American people, though, watch the games with any interest. In fact, I'd be surprised if more than 50% of them even knew that the Soccer WC is taking place - hm... I may be underestimating the media here, but at least my mistake shows my point - poor media coverage = poor interest generation = poor prospective player spotting.

Just my thoughts - I'm no american, only lived there a very short time (very), so I got a very partial picture. But I bet there's some true to what I said, hidden beneath the inaccuracies. I won't mind if someone pointed at them (both) ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

The USA doesn't seem to be too much different from Australia in that regard (in terms of the divers thing). Hey, we even managed to get fouls against us apparently for not falling over (because we didn't fall to the ground we must have been doing something wrong in the contest?!). But it is part of soccer, the fact that a few cultures don't like diving isn't gonna make a difference in the long run, as most tolerate it. And re: getting knocked out, the USA were unlucky enough to get a death pool from hell ... things like that happen :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

Portugal against the Netherlands, wasn't a game, it was a battle.1:0

How Figo provoked the second red card, first he banged his head against a head of another player, he got the yellow card for this, but the dutch went crazy about this 8)

Anyway this game made footballhistory, 4 red cards, this is a new record for the wordchampionships, it never happened before. :shock: :wink:
and 12 yellow cards :roll:

Em perigos e guerras esforçados
Mais do que prometia a força humana,
E entre gente remota edificaram
Novo Reino, que tanto sublimaram;

Regards
Plueschinger
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Well, at least we can joke about the dutch again ;)

Hm, I am a little bit sorry, that I missed this part of football history...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

and 16 yellow cards not 12 o well what's another 4 a this point :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

Today was really boring:
Italie:Australia Penalty in the 93rd minute 1:0 :oops:
Bad luck for Australia, they could have made it, if there wouldn't have been this stupid player.

Ukrainia:Swiss after 120 minutes 0:0
After penalty shooting 3:0 for Ukrainia :roll:

@ loki1950
The thing with the 12 or 16 yellow cards has happened, because people interpret statistics different, in the whole it were 16 yellow cards, but four of them were yellow,red,
so most people don't count them as yellow, only as red (16-4 =12). :) :roll:

So we all will have a lot of fun with the game Italie:Ukrainia in the quarter final,
how both teams did it that far, I don't know :P
O.K. the italians did it perhaps with money for the referee?! :lol:

And what is even more frightening, one of the both teams goes to the half final,
this means Italie or Ukrainia, one of them has minimum place 4 in the end,
and if one of them wins the half final, then.... :shock:

Regards
Plueschinger :shock:
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Well, my POV is, that the pk for Italy was not correct.

The Australian player was on the ground and the Italian let himself fall over him.

I would have given him yellow for diving not a pk ...

Swiss - Ukraine was mind numbing ....
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

energyman76b wrote:The Australian player was on the ground and the Italian let himself fall over him.
Definitely. That should never have been called a penalty. The italian was diving in the hope of drawing one .. I (along with the rest of Australia) just would have hoped the ref would have been more alert to the fact :-/

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

the problem with italian teams: they are the masters of diving and hidden, brutal fouls :(

There are two reasons why I don't like their football:

it is incredible boring. 90 minutes of beton like defense

it is incredible unfair.

They defend all the time and hope that one of their strikers fell in the opponents penalty area.

And that kind of football is played for almost 60 years now...
wtrmute
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wtrmute »

I'm sorry to any Italians in the board, but that win was absolutely disgraceful.

Nearly as disgraceful as our (Brazilian) coach; the press here likes to say he is very "consistent". I think I'm going to start using "consistent" with a connotation of "stubborn like a mule" a lot more... :roll:

Really, our first game (vs. Croatia) was horrible, our second game (vs. Australia) was also terrible. Finally, already classified, Parreira goes and uses a "mixed" team rather than the starting one, and, to very little surprise on our part, the team goes really well.

I spent this last half week wondering whether he'd learned his lesson: apparently that's a no. That's the same starting lineup as the first two games and the same bureaucratic style as the first two games. The team only really started playing after 40 minutes into the second half... If Cafu wasn't this old geezer we might have scored a fourth there.

Oh, well. I'm waiting eagerly France x Spain, which promises a good show... at least for Spain. Frankly, I was shocked upon finding about Domenech's methods for picking a team. It's amazing France's made it this far... (no offence to any French)
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

So now we have two days without football.
Time for specuations.

Germany-Argentine------------|
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|---------------|
Italie - Ukraine ------------------| . . . . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|-------------Worldchampion
England - Portugal ------------| . . . . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|---------------|
Brazil - France -----------------|

France played good against Spain the last 15 minute.
Les Français peuvent jouer football, s'ils veulent,
but only if they want :)

The Basilians always win, why because they always win. :wink:
Os brazileiros jogam muito cansativo, mas eles fazem os golos, sempre. :P

So the best would be in my opinion, we win against Argentine, Ukraine wins against Italie,
Portugal against England, and France against Brazil, Then we just have to win against Ukraine, and Portugal against France, then the final would be Germany against Portugal
and we would be the 4th time worldchampion. :D

Only speculation :roll:

Regards
Plueschinger
Last edited by plueschinger on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Germany - Argentina

Argentina 2 Germany 1
Germany played well so far, but Argentina is a great team. Anything but a win of Argentina would be a big surprise.

Italy - Ukraine
5:4 after pk
Both are total defenders. 0:0 after extended time, penalties won by Italy because of better strikers.

England - Portugal
Portugal 3 England 0
Portugal played well so far and has great strikers. England played horrible so far and its strikers seem to take a timeout at the moment. Englands defense is not very strong. I expect a massacre.

Brazil - France
Brazil 3 France 1

it is BRAZIL they have the best strikers, and France is pretty slow. Plus Spain had a lot of not so experienced players, but Brazils players are experienced. No chance for France.
wtrmute
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wtrmute »

Germany x Argentina: I'm not risking a score on that one. Too much tradition; anything may happen. Ultimately, this one will be a psychological battle more than anything; both teams are in great form, and I know the Argentinians, at least, will try to strike at the confidence of the German team to destabilize them.

Italy x Ukraine: Meh. 5 x 4 on PKs is about right. Italy has shown a mediocre game so far, and sometimes I get the impression the Azzurra spends about as much energy in infighting as in trying to win a game. Still, they are three-times world champions, and that weighs some.

Portugal x England: I certainly wish Portugal would win, but I'm not so sure England won't prevail on account of the weight of their uniform, and because of all the Portuguese players like Deco and Costinha who will have to sit this one out. But if Felipão (that is to say, coach Luís Felipe Scolari) manages to intimidate his team well enough, they will probably make 1x0 like last time. Hopefully, without as many red cards...

Brazil x France: Turnabout is fair play. I believe the French will want to exorcize the ghost of their past performance by beating the incumbent world champions, but our players will be certainly hungering for payback for '98. I believe in Brazil 2x0 France, at least.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hm... let's go for a "galerazo" (wildest guess you could think of)

Semi-finals:

Argentina - Ukrain
Brazil - England

Final:

Argentina - Brazil (I wish)

Champion

Argentina (hehe...)
Wing Commander Universe
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

I have the same opinion, that it would be good, if the Ukrain wins against Italie
and enters the semi-final, 8)

But about the rest :roll:

Regards
Plueschinger
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Congratulations Germany.
Wing Commander Universe
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Wow, this WC is full of surprises so far!

I thought Germany would loose against Poland, loose against Sweden, loose against Argentina...

I am not sad of being proved wrong... but at the moment it is quiet scary ...
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

@klauss
Argentinia was the better team, but unlucky, 1:0 through Ayala,
then for our luck 1:1 Klose, and then the penalties,
and we were cheating, Jens Lehmann had a piece of paper in his socks, he was reading
before the penalties were shot. :wink:
On this paper was written to which corner the argentinian players normally shoot. :roll:
So bad luck for Ayala and Cammbiasso, it could have ended different,
no reason for Jose Pekerman to quit his job as the trainer of Argentinia,
and don't forget your main goalkeeper Abbondanzieri was injured, only Franco got the goals, but he is an excellent goalkeeper as well, Argentinia keep your heads high,
you made very good games.

And now against Italie, I hope we get our revenge:
Unforgetable the half-final 1970 in Mexico 4:3 for Italie, 1982 final 3:1 for Italie,
we never won against Italie in worldchampionchips, we lost 4 times, and our last game
4:1 for Italie.
I'm quite good in probability calculus and so this spell curse has to be broken earlier or later,
I hope soon, in the next game.

And please not against Brazil, like 2002, or if yes let the luck be with us. :)

Regards
Plueschinger
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

plueschinger wrote:...and we were cheating, Jens Lehmann had a piece of paper in his socks, he was reading
before the penalties were shot. :wink:
On this paper was written to which corner the argentinian players normally shoot. :roll:
:shock: Where do you have this from? :mrgreen:

Anyways, you can't say Argentina lost the match. They lost the shoot-out which is more or less like loosing at dice.
But IMO, the reason why Argentina hasn't won the match is this lousy decision to take Messi out. Honestly, I think this is enough reason for Pekerman to go...
klauss wrote:Congratulations Germany.
Thanks, but I was hardly involved... :mrgreen:

.... :wink:
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
wtrmute
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wtrmute »

I thought it was odd that the German goalie called all the sides correctly. I figured the Argentinian players were telegraphing where they would shoot -- but I guess having a piece of paper with some intel data can't be considered cheating.

I was actually rooting for Argentina, though most Argentinians I know wouldn't believe that in a million years. After all, facing a final with Germany in Berlin is much worse than any match even with our arch-rivals.

That is, of course, considering we crush France today. Pelé said he had a bad feeling about this game. Good thing whenever he says something, it turns out to be wrong... :lol:
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wtrmute wrote:I thought it was odd that the German goalie called all the sides correctly. I figured the Argentinian players were telegraphing where they would shoot -- but I guess having a piece of paper with some intel data can't be considered cheating.
Well, I haven't noticed this piece of paper and I don't belive it for one simple reason. This paper can't containe much more than a name and a "left" or "right". And with all this tactical traning they do, with all this studying the other team, it would be really sorry if the keeper wouldn't know the other players usuall behaviour by heart.
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.