...christian scientist...

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Oblivion wrote:That hurt and that got me angry and I DON'T GET ANGRY EASILY. But I don't see this topic as something even worth holding grudges for. So I'll be cool and forget about this.
Well, you got me pretty angry several times BEFORE my last post. Wonder why?
I did not insinuate that you treat them differently. And I'm sorry for giving unsolicited advice. There as just no warning signs on this forum. I post here because it seems like a nice diversion to VS. And I did NOT come here to start fights.
All the YOU's were not you alone, and if you feel like I've been contradicting you for the sake of contradiction, please. I meant the general nameless crowd out there.
Fine; I'll accept that.
Just because you're scientifically ignorant and want to remain so
Low. As in waaaay below the belt. just because my interests vary from you, and I don't google my stuff...
Ahhh, but then, if you claim that you don't want to start fights, and your interests vary in such a way that they don't include this subject, why come here and doggedly contradict someone who IS interested in this subject, and who DOES google his stuff? Besides, argument ("dialogue"), was invented as a procedure to to get closer to Truth, but you don't seem to care for truth, so what gives?
If the truth offends anyone, that's their problem.
Truth is not always the best thing for everything. This is not an advice, but a fact of life.
"Facts of life" MY ASS! Whenever truth is compromised in consideration of some sensitivity or political factors, it only prolongs agony.

So, to repeat: If you're not interested in a given subject enough to spend a few minutes googling about, then why argue? This subject intersts me enough to google around AND read books AND magazine articles about it, AND talk with people... Is it any surprise to you that someone who spends time researching something might be offended at being contradicted by some opinionated twit who did not research it, and is obviously only mildly interested in it (at best), and that all he can do is regurgitate the commonly held falacies, --when not actually proclaim "truth be damned"?
Heterosexuality is NOT a condition, simply because that's what our biology intended.
Oh. So just because we find the correct sexes attractive excludes our psyches from being called a condition.
I don't understand.
In fact, they are not even formed in childhood, but at the time of transition to adulthood.
That's nit-picking.
No it's not. A false statement, propagating a false belief; should be clarified for the benefit of anyone who might read it and for the next ten years be in the dark about it.

Fetishes are formed AT puberty, NOT during childhood. It's like this: We have a (prenatally formed) basic brain circuitry for recognizing opposite sex: In the human male brain it probably recognizes the female's wide hips, breasts, motions, voice pitch, pheromones, etc.
But as species evolve and adapt to environmental conditions, their apparance may change; such as fur or plummage coloring patterns, average amount of body fat, etceteras. This might interfere with "opposite sex recognition", and therefore evolution favored a refinement... So, we have a mechanism triggered AT the onset of puberty, and only lasting a short time, during which the basic opposite sex recognition algorithm gets "dressed up", complemented, adjusted, tuned, fleshed-out... And the way it works is, whenever the basic opposite sex recognition circuit fires up, any other partern recognition circuits, such as fur/skin, patterns of speech, scents, touch feelings, that may be firing at the same time, get connected to it. Thus, at puberty time, the sights of females that attract you become your extended opposite sex recognition apparatus; --that's when the picture consolidates.

So, to take myself for example, when I was a child, women used to wear long skirts. At the time of my puberty, the fashion was short skirts. Shortly after the onset of my puberty time, the women's fashion changed to tight shorts. But neither long skirts ***nor shorts*** do much for me. My fetish is definitely mini-skirts. When I read about this mechanism being activated at puberty, I felt enlightened by it, and I like to pass on the knowledge of how it works to other people, who might also feel enlightened by it. The idea that fetishes develop in childhood is WRONG, incorrect, and unenlightening. For me this is important. If for you it isn't, then I can understand you might think of my correction as "nit-picking"; but for me it IS important.

It is important also in understanding the role that media may play on sexual disfunction, as well as fetishes... In our present society, thanks to the religious prudes that still rule the day, people reach puberty and, in many cases, aren't even exposed to nudity. Chances are they might, for the rest of their lives, have to fantasize that the person they are in bed with is dressed, in order to maintain arousal. This is NO joking matter. And the images they see that attract them the most, during puberty, are from magazines or television, which means that their tactile and olfactory recognition circuits won't be connected to the general gender recognition picture. Opposite gender scent and pheromones may be of no consequence to them, from then on. A lot of men in present society are insensitive to women's arousal, or lack thereof, simply because it wasn't part of the images in girly mags they were browsing at the time they reached puberty. Same goes for women, who often need to fantasize their husbands in a 3-piece suit, or dressed as a fireman. Or like my cousin, whose recurrent fantasy was long haired guys lining up at a military base, getting their heads shaven; probably because she saw some scene like that at a movie. Or women who need to get spanked because they had their first orgasm while getting spanked by their daddies. We're living in a society that is 99% sexually disfunctional, due to prudish traditions, like calling nudity "inappropriate" or "unhealthy" for children to see, which is an absurdity that only serves to perpetuate prudishness by instilling in our children a sense of shame about the human body. We even have software to facilitate this injustice, like net nanny or whatever it's called. High technology at the service of collective madness being passed down to new generations. Children should be exposed to nudity from early on, and specially to nude opposite sex at the time they reach puberty, for their future mental health.

That's why I corrected you when you said "fetishes form in childhood". It is important that we understand exactly where our societal problems come from, if we're ever going to be able to put an end to them.
All attempts to connect homosexuality to childhood environment or experiences in studies have failed
Oh really? And it really doesn't change the reality. How many gays do you know, instead of just researchers? Have you ever asked one how he/she thought he/she became gay? You'll get answers. And don't blame me if it doesn't coincide with the "studies".
Yes, really. As a matter of fact, I used to work at a community radio station for three years, and I was one of the ***very few*** "straights" there (make that 3, out of about 100 people); I got invited to gay and lesbian parties all the time; most of my friends were gay or lesbian or bi, in those days; --and in fact I don't personally know any researchers (except one in plasma physics). And I did get answers from gays; lots of them; which are part of my mental model now. FYI, there may be differences between what answers gays give to people they've just met, from the answers they give to someone in confidence, once they trust the other party. Behind the political facade, some might tell you they felt there was "something wrong with them", before even puberty --long before they felt "discriminated against". That's why I said in an earlier post that gays aren't necessarily happy people, despite the semantic roots of the term. They live tortured lives, that a bit of scientific understanding could clarify and help them come to grips with it all. The same scientific understanding, in fact, which would also help heterosexual society relax about homosexuality and stop attributing it to "the devil", or some other equally ignorant theory. The same scientific understanding that could lead to methods for early diagnosis of health or dietary conditions in pregnant women, and a possible treatment; if the subject was not so "politicized", and ignorance being considered politically necessary.

Sure, gays will outwardly tell you that they are happy and proud, but in confidence they might break into tears and tell you about the feelings of guilt and shame they fight against all the time. IMO, admitting scientific evidence that their condition is a tiny malformation in the brain is a very small price to pay, for an understanding that would finally release them from all that guilt and shame and insecurity. VERY small price to pay. And necessary, because straights KNOW, deep inside, that there's "something wrong" with homosexuals; but the problem is they don't know exactly what is wrong. Being told that there isn't anything wrong with them, only exacerbates their problem with it. It fuels the fire of misunderstanding. All that heterosexual society needs, really, is the confirmation of the correctness of their correct intuition, and a clarification of what EXACTLY is wrong with them. Seeing that it was neither their fault, nor can be treated, nor cured, will cure the problem of hatred, and silence the preachers. But insisting on the falacy that gayness is normal and healthy won't help clarify matters, won't help heterosexuals or homosexuals in any way but the most superficial.
So just because there are studies showing that it seems like, or people saying it is. At least I chose what seems reasonable to believe in freudan psychology. Not swallow it whole. And do tell me, if a surgeon finally founds the human soul lodged somewhere near the pineal gland, or if a study proves that the moon is actually made of cheese.
Can't parse...
And arguing about what IS a condition is pointless. I just wanted to LET those who might not know (which obviously excludes you, it seems), that they don't like to be treated like it's a sickness. Much less, the vague references to brain "malformations".
I know they don't like like hearing about brain malformations... (Heh... Tell me about it... LOL!) Their "culture" has built up a house of cards on the premise that homosexuality is "natural" and a "healthy condition" (as well as the incorrect assumption, in many cases, that there's something wrong with **heterosexuals**, like equating heterosexuality to "homophobia"). This is a house of cards built on shakey ground, and it will come down, one way or another; and the less painful way for it to come down would be, I tell them, to take it down in an orderly way and build something better instead, based on scientific understanding.
Do you really think sexuality is formed by balance between estrogen and testosterone?".
What you call common hermaphrodites. Are NOT hermaphrodites. They are those that exhibit the external physical characteristics of both sexes, but are NOT capable of reproductive functions with BOTH organs. I will not debate on that further. As you seemed to have see at least 3 in every subway crowd.
Point taken. People wear clothes in subways, though; I just happened to read an article a few years ago that revealed some disturbing stats.
you just ignore everything I DO say, and then insinuate I said things I DIDN'T say...
I confess, I do just scan your posts, because as opposed to you people, I'm not always online. And I apologize if I don't always end up with the correct conclusiona s to the gist of your post. But then, I take that accusation back at you. I'm pretty sure I just might as well not spoken many times.
And
Quote:
Huh... I seem to have missed that... funny.
Quote:
For some unknown reason, I'd totally missed it too.
probably coz it's not highlightd? or the alway is missing an S.
I tried to think of these in friendly terms. I know now it's NOT. And if you're implying I editted the post just to show that I mentioned a book. I did not. I hesitated to edit it to highlight the book and correct the missing S. NOTHING GETS ME ANGRIER THAN IMPLYING THAT I'M A SNEAKY SONOFABITCH WHO WOULD LIE TO GLORIFY MYSELF.

Maybe you people treat each other that way over there. Maybe you see it as okay, because after all, I'm not even a westerner who, it seems, has all the rights to call themselves intelligent. Just because I do not have the access to as much information as I would have wanted to, doesn't make me stupid. I don't care if my opinions do not carry as much weight as yours. As long as I'm pretty sure it's being respected as I respected yours.

Oh. Like your last line. REAAALLY nice. Like "Fuck that monkey, I wouldn't actually believe he CAN read, would I? And If he does, hell Dr.Seuss is probably the pinnacle of literary achievements in his library. So I'll just ignore him".
It did cross my mind, but when people edit their posts, *after* the posts are replied to, there's a notice automatically tagged at the bottom of the post saying "Edited on..." date such and so. That was something I looked at right away, and I noticed that you hadn't edited it; so I knew I'd simply missed it. Your theory that I was insinuating anything at all is all in your head.
I think the reason I missed it was that it was "just" a little, un-sexy piece of info, floating right in the middle of attention-grabbing arguments. If it had been at the beginning or the end of the post, I probably would have noticed it more consciously, and googled it.

Uhmm... Last line you quoted wasn't mine. Who's Dr. Seuss, anyways? If it's some TV character you're talking about, you've lost me; I don't watch TV at all.
So, if you're going to continue contradicting me gratuitously, then
a) Do so without: 1) twisting my words, 2) saying that I said things I didn't say, 3) giving me personal advice, or 4) insinuating I treat gays differently, and
b) Come up with some data in support of your uninformed opinion that gayness develops during childhood.
Oh sure, I love to contradict because I like to get people mad. And I'm always looking for ways which I can be degraded by the superior Aryans.
LOL! All I know about Aryans is that they supposedly invaded India from the North, 5000 years ago or so. I'm not even sure what an Aryan looks like; but maybe you know that they moved to Montreal, and I don't; but although I may live in Montreal, my country of origin is almost as far as yours from Montreal, close to the South Pole. Maybe you thought my avatar pic was me... That's Professor Monkhouse, from Privateer, FYI. Is that what an Aryan looks like? LOL
Don't worry; I know a lot of smart people from the Philippines, including a coworker of mine who's really cool. There's no chance I will take you as being representative...
SO OKAY. I can take a hint, even if it has to be something as blatant as raining me with insults. If that's how you usually make a point with others, then I'm sorry if I thought otherwise. I keep an open mind and If I threaten you in any way, then write it off as another "Asians-invading our homelands" thing.

And I'm really angry right now. I will shut my mouth but I will not apologize for something that does not need an apology.
Add to the above list:
a5) Without insinuating political or racial motivations.

It is actually pretty obvious that you like to contradict. You yourself said you "just scan" my posts, that you don't "google up stuff", that truth being second to politics (or something else?) should be accepted as a "fact of life"; and I'm sure you haven't read any of the stuff I posted links to in my previous post. Now, HAVE YOU? In other words, you're here wasting your time, mine, and everyone else's ... for what, if not "to contradict" for contradiction's sake?

Overall, though; in this post you've started to argue slightly decently. Well, not quite, but at least you did read my post. Anger seems to bring out the best in you.
And even though you claim not to care for truth too much, you do seem to care for it when you imagine someone's falsely accused you of being "sneaky", or whatever. Well, that's a start; maybe I will some day convince you that truth is better than falsehood more often than you presently seem to think.
I'll definitely try to make you agry more often; that seems to work.

EDIT:
Oh, btw, apollogies do nothing for me, anyways. Like when people say "have a good day" and wouldn't care... err.. probably would enjoy.. if a truck ran over you. Just another stupid tradition, so someone must apollogize, and someone else must "accept the apollogy"... and it's just wasted words, wasted time; --none of it means anything, an empty ritual... I'd rather you presented a good argument, for a friggin change; or stuck to art, which you're really good at, and got off the potty.
So don't apologize, please; not for my sake, anyways; but, if I were you, I'd stop accusing someone who's giving you free server space to upload stuff to, of discriminating against you on the basis of nationality or race. There's a point at which, even the most patient man will say, "might as well deserve what I get"; and I'm not that most patient man...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Can't parse...
Not starting another argument, but I'll explain, ok?
I meant researches and studies are really just that - researches.
Quote:
Quote:
Heterosexuality is NOT a condition, simply because that's what our biology intended.
Oh. So just because we find the correct sexes attractive excludes our psyches from being called a condition.
I don't understand.
I believe - And I will not get into further arguments about this. As it concerns more metaphysics - along the lines of a lost slipper. :D - that Nature/Biology has no intentions. Everything so far has been accidental. Everything we are now is just a different state of a vehicle that serves to propagate a certain complex molecule. So there is no NORMAL and ABNORMAL for me. A hunk of jagged rock, if left to itself in a vacuum for a looong time (say gazillions, :lol: ), will eventually become a perfect sphere. So does the nature, nothing in it is the intended permanent state. I'm not saying you say otherwise, I'm just stating my belief.
Your theory that I was insinuating anything at all is all in your head.
well, the tone was certainly unfriendly. I've never read Dispossessed. But I do like Ursula Le Guin, even if most of her stories strike people as nonsensical. Don't let this argument make you avoid the book I suggested forever. It's a good book if you're looking for model cultures, because it's not a novel per se. It's more like a study of an imaginary culture. Complete with writing, speech, religion, way of life, folk tales, poetry, and even a commentary of a symbolic 20th century woman named Pandora. The way it's written reminds you of Tolkien.
Uhmm... Last line you quoted wasn't mine. Who's Dr. Seuss, anyways? If it's some TV character you're talking about, you've lost me; I don't watch TV at all.
:lol: I meant the last paragraph of your post. He's an author of children's books. Come on. He's famous. One of my favorites when I was very little.

"The cat in the hat?"

or "Hop on Pop"
LOL! All I know about Aryans is that they supposedly invaded India from the North, 5000 years ago or so. I'm not even sure what an Aryan looks like; but maybe you know that they moved to Montreal, and I don't; but although I may live in Montreal, my country of origin is almost as far as yours from Montreal, close to the South Pole. Maybe you thought my avatar pic was me... That's Professor Monkhouse, from Privateer, FYI. Is that what an Aryan looks like? LOL
Sorry. Yeah, Hitler was really stupid when he chose those as the moniker of the "super-race". I think he got mislead with the way linguists have been classifying human languages as Indo-Aryan (a language subgroup of the Indo-European mothertongue?) for Caucasians. So he thought the ancestor race of Caucasians were the Aryans. Nice logic for a megalomaniac.
a5) Without insinuating political or racial motivations.
I'm quite prone to that. So sorry again.
maybe I will some day convince you that truth is better than falsehood more often than you presently seem to think.
I do think truth is better. Way better. But there are some things that do not need an affirmation of what is already obvious. This is hypothetical - lest you get angry at me again - would you call a friend's kid with IQ problems a retard? No matter how truthful that would be, it is still wrong sometimes to place the burden of truth on someone who does not need it.
I'd stop accusing someone who's giving you free server space to upload stuff to
Well, if it was really a problem for you. I will stop using the server space.
DON'T. I don't relish the feeling of anger. I can count with my hands the number of times I've actually blew steam from my nostrils (and fire on a few cases) in my entire life. I'm not a vengeful person, and no matter what you say, I will still apologize.

So, I'm sorry. And if I'll still be persona non grata in these kind of discussions, then I'll accept that. This will not affect the work I do for VS. I'm hoping it will not affect yours too. You may or may not accept this apology. I'm cool now. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I don't really understand what that fight was about, but I'm glad it's over with all the same. :)

Now perhaps we can get back to the job at hand...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Maybe you thought my avatar pic was me...
Anyone care to guess why I'm smiling like this?
:mrgreen:

:arrow: turn the arrow around

EDIT:Of course, that's not me anymore.

That picture:
1.taken 2-3 years ago
2.taken in an extremely drunken state
3.The supermodel parody pose is deliberate. :wink:
4.and I can't BELIEVE I ACTUALLY POSTED THAT! :shock:
5.STILL CAN'T :shock:
6... ad infinitum..
Last edited by Oblivion on Tue May 16, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Oblivion wrote:I believe - And I will not get into further arguments about this. As it concerns more metaphysics - along the lines of a lost slipper. Very Happy - that Nature/Biology has no intentions. Everything so far has been accidental. Everything we are now is just a different state of a vehicle that serves to propagate a certain complex molecule. So there is no NORMAL and ABNORMAL for me. A hunk of jagged rock, if left to itself in a vacuum for a looong time (say gazillions, Laughing ), will eventually become a perfect sphere. So does the nature, nothing in it is the intended permanent state. I'm not saying you say otherwise, I'm just stating my belief.
I never intended to imbue the term "intention" with objective existence down to molecular level. This is indeed a philosophical fine line. We don't know how our brains work except in the most general sense, so we could not objectively define what we perceive as intentionality, or whether it can be modelled mechanically, or requires some kind of "free will", whatever that is. Much less can we ascertain whether intentionality can be attributed, or extended to include, biology. My use of the term is metaphoric, but should, non-the-less carry some meaning, into metaphorically willing, recepient ears, as in "legs aren't meant to grow on --or intended to attach to-- the top of the head". We all know that words are vague, and that dictionaries are self-referential, vicious loops; but the un-stated general agreement is to try and make the best of a bad situation, language-wise.
"The cat in the hat?"

or "Hop on Pop"
Sorry, I got sick of childrens' books some time in the early 60's. I bet Dr. Seuss hadn't been conceived yet.
maybe I will some day convince you that truth is better than falsehood more often than you presently seem to think.
I do think truth is better. Way better. But there are some things that do not need an affirmation of what is already obvious. This is hypothetical - lest you get angry at me again - would you call a friend's kid with IQ problems a retard? No matter how truthful that would be, it is still wrong sometimes to place the burden of truth on someone who does not need it.
Probably not, but if my friend was in denial of the fact then I'd try to help him/her come to a conscious grip with the situation, rather than choose a path of insanity (denial), making the problem even worse. And I wouldn't shy away from using strong language, if it proved necessary. Medicine tastes bitter sometimes.
I'd stop accusing someone who's giving you free server space to upload stuff to
Well, if it was really a problem for you. I will stop using the server space.
No it's not a problem at all. I was just getting angry to the breaking point.
DON'T. I don't relish the feeling of anger. I can count with my hands the number of times I've actually blew steam from my nostrils (and fire on a few cases) in my entire life. I'm not a vengeful person, and no matter what you say, I will still apologize.
YOU BASTARD! :D Allright, I apollogize too, then; tit for tat :)

P.S.: Don't let WW2 get to you, man; it's over. And Canadians fought against Hitler pretty hard, and won.
Halleck wrote:Now perhaps we can get back to the job at hand...
I forget what it was...

EDIT:
Damn! I forgot to listen to CBC's Ideas, on Friday... :(
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

chuck there 3 more episodes to come the first two were biographical to 1945 when he wrote "The Great Transformation" but that period formed him and his thought.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Edit: it is a repeat i heard it the first time around :D
Last edited by loki1950 on Sun May 14, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

My use of the term is metaphoric, but should, non-the-less carry some meaning, into metaphorically willing, recepient ears,
I do admit now that there are indeed better states (i hesitate to call it "condition" again :lol: ). But even mutations, no matter how horrible, is still normal, in the sense, that nothing is normal. Oh god, I'm confusing myself. :? Scratch that one out. Anyway, I get your meaning. :wink:

..and now, that steam has once again returned to it's natural frozen state around my nostrils (mistaken for snot, by certain people), I do admit, prenatal origins of homosexuality does indeed sound not at all impossible. It's just that it's a new idea for me. And letting go of older ideas is really rather painful. But until we know more about the mind itself, I reserve judgement.

Regarding Dr. Seuss (and I googled it this time :lol: , since the last time I read him, I was still more particularly interested in pretty pictures rather than the authors. :lol: ) , he was born 1904. His first book (And to think I saw it on Mulberry Street), got rejected by 43 publishers before someone took pity on him. :lol:

His books are good. Not at all pure rubbish like most children's stories. They contain great illustrations and simple funny word-play (which helps keep children's interests), and wacky stories that are in fact satires of life. :)

The famous things he did? Gerald McBoingBoing, for one.
Two of his stories I know has been hollywoodized, The Grinch and The Cat In The Hat .

To think of it now, I regret what I said earlier on Dr. Seuss. He deserves to be on the list of literary geniuses. :D
No it's not a problem at all. I was just getting angry to the breaking point.
Okay. If it really is. A question - I really can't understand why I made you mad :? :?: But anyways, I'm glad it's over.
P.S.: Don't let WW2 get to you, man; it's over. And Canadians fought against Hitler pretty hard, and won.
I wish it was. Genocides, I mean. His legacy is pretty much what's tearing this world apart. :(

Still interested in Utopian books? There are two I books I've read that tackles ideal societies while still remaining technologically advanced, (as most books equate utopia with barbarism). Both by Arthur C. Clarke - The Songs Of Distant Earth -about an ocean world with a tiny tiny island, this is good if Hawaii to you means paradise :D . And the last of the 2001 series. 3001:The Final Odyssey, is a very good book. Dealing mostly with humans in the third millenium, how they overcame most of the hatred in the 20th and 21st century. Aside from that, it's got the only aliens I've ever come to love in fiction, The Europans. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Oblivion wrote:A question - I really can't understand why I made you mad :? :?: But anyways, I'm glad it's over.
I'll restrict my post to answering this question, since I see it as 1000 times more important than all the rest of the stuff.
You seem to like children's books and to dislike Adolf Hitler, so let me use an example that relates to both. I saw once a documentary about Hitler that mentioned the following story, as I remember it:

There was some writer of children's books, about travel and adventure on far away lands. Hitler used to read his books, when he was a kid. The author used to make beautiful paintings of scenery to go with the stories. But he'd never travelled to any of those places, and someone must have faced him with the fact, and he excused himself on something along the lines of artistic freedom, but not quite... Some nasty argument to the effect that he could "see places with his mind", or some such absurdity.

Hitler read that and incorporated it into his own belief system; and once wrote or said that "just like that author", paraphrasing, he knew things without a need for proof.
Dangerous thing to believe, wouldn't you agree?

But from the start of our discussion I felt you had a somewhat similar attitude towards my arguments, like answering my posts without having fully read them, as if assuming you already knew what I was saying without needing to actually read them; or like saying "Yes, I read it, and No...", followed by arguments appealing to "intuition", NOT to facts. And you finally confirmed my suspicion in your second-last post, where you said "Research is just research". Care to elaborate, and present a better alternative to research?
And like that, most of your statements in our discussion amounted NOT to refutations of my arguments, but simply to discounting them. Ergo, my anger.

And notice how many errors your intuition led you to, such as assuming discrimination against asians on my part, or that I was insinuating things I wasn't... Would you still trust your intuition, after all that?

I believe in research, and in science; --not that I belittle the value of intuition as a driver for research... But you see where I'm coming from?

And like I said, I regard this subject as very important in understanding ourselves, as a society, and as individuals. We can't separate sexuality from human nature and its endeavors, collectively known as culture and society. To find a way out of our problems, we need to get to the truth; --to stop compromising it to accomodate political and traditional beliefs and "intuitions".

One more thing is, I don't know this for a fact, but my intuition tells me... :) ... that if we were to take a poll and ask people which they value more: Truth or Peace?, a majority would answer Peace. Not me ;)

(I read the second; not sure about the first though... I do remember reading some book where they descend on an island in an ocean world, but then they have to leave; but I can't remember what book it was...)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:And you finally confirmed my suspicion in your second-last post, where you said "Research is just research".
He meant, AFAIK, that research only digs into things, but cannot ever be the last word on a subject.
An erroneous assumption, as used by him though, IMO - although it will never be the last word, sometimes, evidence is rather conclusive, and strongly convincing of a certain model's accuracy (notice that truth is not involved - every field of science limits itself to developing models, nothing more, that may or may not model the perceived reality accurately - the goal is to find accurate models, which does not mean arriving at "the truth" - that's for philosophers).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

That's True :D

Well, I just love the word Truth so much, I kind of tried to rescue it from the currently stagnating custody of Philosophy, and into the fast bandwagon of Science. Accordingly, my definition of Truth is therefore more related to the breadth of the evidence, the seriousness of the inquiry, and the objective intent, than with absolute epistemological certainty. It has also, in my mind, become relative; in the sense that quite possibly, for example, the model of gayness being formed in-uterus might be incomplete, and future research might uncover more complex mechanisms, or perhaps types of gayness that form some other way; but as far as the evidence currently suggests, and relative to the falacies that were previously explored and disproven, it is, by my definition, "the truth".
But this is my personal use of the term, of course; yet I believe I'm not completely alone in this; and perhaps I'd go as far as advocating its re-factoring...

Otherwise, let's be frank: by the time the "last word" is uttered, we shall all be dead; and the word "Truth" is then completely useless. There's only one statement in Philosophy that has any claim to truth, and that's "I am". But even that one requires metaphorical cooperation... --without it, some punk might ask if a dead human body electrically controlled to utter the words "I am" is speaking truth... :x
(Which is probably why the famous saying goes "I think, therefore...", and even that's not safe from punks who will correctly point out that there is no proof that thought isn't as mechanistic as the uttering of words... So you'd have to change that to "I realize that I am, because if I was not, I couldn't be wrong AND not be" but then there's no rigorous definition for "realization", and the mere logic of the sentence could be realized by an ai, which brings us back to the problem of consciousness, which epistemology is stuck with, and experimental psychology is running circles around it... But I digress...).

Yes, perhaps 'Truth' is too strong a word. I just can't think of a better one, tho...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

A dead body "is" a dead body just as much as you are a live body. No trickery there. :wink:

Reminds me a bit of the old philosopher's drinking song...
Monty Python wrote:Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
'I drink, therefore I am.'
:D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I cannot prove that I AM my body. If physiotherapy fails and I end up losing my right arm, would you then say that I'm the 1 that lost an arm, or that I'm the remaining 0.9 and therefore lost nothing?

The problem of what IS is Ontology's problem. Ontologists found they could live with the statement "There must BE something", but could not answer what IS, exactly. The question can be qualified as "what IS, really?"; as in, what exists objectively, as opposed to just perceptually or conceptually. For example, even if we assumed we know that eggs ARE, if I put two of them together and ask you what you see, you might say "a pair of eggs". But someone might say that even if each egg happens to BE, the idea that they constitute a "pair" is all in your head; a concept you were brainwashed with; that if the "pair" really existed, there would have to be an objective distance (between any two eggs), below which they cease to BE individual eggs, and the existance of 'a pair of eggs' takes over their BEING; which is rather absurd.

Pretty similar to the question "If 1+1=2, is the first 1 that becomes 2 when the second 1 is added?, or is the second 1 that becomes the 2 when added to the first?" The question is moot in arithmetic since 1 and 2 are symbols we invented and the rules are whatever we make them. But if you apply the same argument to ***applied math*** :), then there's trouble... Is the first egg that becomes the "pair" when a second egg aproaches it too closely? The absurdity of the question rests on the absurdity of the concept of "a pair of eggs". There IS no such thing.

You could extend the same argument to anything that is a composite, whether homogeneous (pair, dozen, ...) or heterogeneous (a chair, made of dissimilar parts glued together, which to you may be a "chair", but to visiting Aera may look like just a bunch of sticks glued together). Even if we assume the components to really BE, their constituting "something else" when put together in a certain fashion is dubiously true in a more transcendental way than a purely subjective one. Same with any other composite, whether man-made or "natural". Not even chemical compounts escape the ontological knife, nor do protons, for that matter...

So, from this point of view it is hard to argue that a dead body IS, and even life doesn't help it much either. Bodies decompose, etc.

The realization "I am", however, (if properly understood), makes no assumptions as to what IS... ;-)

Code: Select all

*** Scientists Stadium ***

First Period:

Philosophy 2.5            Science 7.584278490 E+6

*** Philosophers Stadium ***

First Period:

Philosophy 1              Science 0

:D
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Seems like a pretty boring and pointless line of inquiry if you ask me.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I guess I won't ask you, then :D

Philosophy fascinates me. It seldom scores, but when it does it's a mega-score. And the thing is, philosophical inquiry often led to conclusions that seemed wrong, but some of them have shown up experimentally in quantum physics. Let me put quantum stuff for you in a nutshell:

There was a time physisists were divided on whether light was made of waves or particles. Photoelectric scattering seemed to say it was particles, because a very weak light source should not have enough energy to scatter electrons, unless the weak energy came concentrated in discrete packets. But interference patterns and diffusion seemed to point out that light was waves, not particles.

Take diffusion, for example:

Imagine you're flying on a helicopter over a harbor or beach where there's wave braker barriers in the water. Those barriers often have openings for ships or boats to pass through. Now, if a door is very small, as waves hit it, they emerge on the other side as circular waves, like when you drop a stone in a lake. If the opening is very wide, however, you see like a parallelogram of wavy water projecting past the barrier.
Similarly, if you grab a piece of paper and cut out the shape of a bunny and put it front of a sunlit wall, you'll see the shadow of the sheet of paper and a bright bunny in the middle.
But if instead of cutting out a big shape, you make a tiny hole, now, instead of a tiny point of light in the shadow of the sheet, you'll see a diffuse spot. Same as with the small opening in the wave breaking barrier, light emerges on the other side propagating spherically.
People thought perhaps this was due some electrostatic or magnetic effect in the close vecinity of the hole's edge, due to the material; but diffusion depends only on the ratio of the hole size to the light's wavelength, NOT on the material used for the barrier.
So, it would seem this is descisive evidence that light is made of waves, right?

Wrong. Someone put a very weak light source, and a sensitive photographic plate; made sure that only one photon was coming through at a time, and observed a random pattern of point-like photon hits, which, as they accumulated over time, gave the diffuse spot appearance. That would seem to prove it was particles, after all, right?

Wrong. Someone else decided to put two pin-holes on a barrier, to see if they would form a pattern of interference, and they did: Instead of two overlapping fuzzy spots, it projected a zebra-like pattern with fringes. This would seem to prove beyond doubt that light is waves, right?

Wrong again: Someone put the two-pinhole barrier in front of a very weak light source, made sure that only one photon every minute or so would leave the source, as to make sure there were no photon pairs passing through the two pinholes simultaneously and somehow interfering with each other. He got a random pattern of single points of light from individual photon impacts, but as he accumulated the impacts over hours and days, the random scatter was more concentrated in some places than others, painting the same "interference" fringes.

Scientists were starting to go crazy.

Meanwhile, Heisenberg was working on trying to establish theoretical limits to the precision of measurements. He observed this: Suppose you want to know where a particle is. You can shine a light on it, and look for where the shadow was cast. But the more precisely you want to know where it is, the shorter a wavelength of light you have to use. But the shorter a wavelength is, the more energy it carries. So much that it can blow your target particle away. So you can tell where it *was* at the moment of the measurment (impact), but now you don't know where it's going. To make a long story short, he found that the certainty with which you can know a particle's position, and the certainty with which you can know its velocity vector, multiply to Plank's Constant (or less). The better you know where it it, the less you know where it's going, and viceversa.
This limit of "knowledge" is fundamental, regardless of measurement technology.

It occurred then to someone, why?, when a photon is going through a pinhole in a barrier, its position is quite certain, so its motion must become uncertain (random). He tried the formula, and it matched the diffusion scattering function to a tee.
Then someone thought, what about the two-pinhole barrier? When the photon is going through, it's not like it can go through anywhere... It's very certainly where this pinhole is, or very certainly where that pinhole is, and between those two, the chance is 50-50.
So he plugged the mathematical description of this positional certainty into one side of Heisenberg's uncertainty formula, and out came a probability function for photon velocity vector that looked like a modulated sinewave that matched the "interference" fringes exactly. More accurately, in fact, than the wave-interference model.

But the real punchline came a while later: Somebody wanted to make really sure that one photon at a time was going through one pinhole or the other, but not both :D (Yeah, some even thought that photons were splitting in two and passing through both holes at the same time... :D :D)

So he put detectors around the pinholes. Lo and behold: He verified that in fact, one photon at a time was coming through either one pinhole or the other, but not both; BUT... the pattern of interference disappeared, vanished!

Soon someone pointed out: If you know which pinhole the photon is going through, then you no longer have a 50-50 uncertainty in the position, so you can't expect the same Heisenberg equation result.

So, it looks like like "certainty", which is like "knowledge" has objective existence, and affects the way particles behave. Whaddya know? Weren't philosophers saying long time ago that consciousness is fundamental? There you have their assertions vindicated in physics labs...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Yet, from a philosophical standpoint, the particle knows exactly where it is and where is is going. :wink:

I think some of this "physical world is influenced by our knowledge" stuff is shown to be pretty ridiculous, especially in the famous example of schroedinger's cat. In fact, Schroedinger devised his example to show how ridiculous quantum physics can be, even though his cat is now the figurative 'poster child' of quantum physics.

In the example of the detector, it just goes back to heisenberg's uncertainty principle and the reasoning behind it. No magic there, no "thought influencing the universe". Only that our methods of detection interfere physically with the subject.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Halleck wrote:Yet, from a philosophical standpoint, the particle knows exactly where it is and where is is going. :wink:
You're EXACTLY wrong ;-) That's the essence of what's so fascinating about this stuff. The particle does not. Indeterminacy is NOT a limitation in observation alone. It is real, immanent, objective.
What you're thinking is exactly what Einstein thought, "God doesn't play dice"; well, he does! :D
Einstein proposed a though experiment: "Let's have two particles created at the same time in a collision. The two are paired (moved at the same velocity, opposite directions). Let's measure the position of one, and the speed of the other; that way we'll know both", paraphrasing. Came to be known as the Einstein-Podolski-Rosen (EPR) thought experiment. After his death, the experiment was carried out and he was wrong. One particle in fact can affect the determinacy of the other instantly (at infinite speed; it's called "quantum information"; but cannot be used to send a signal faster than light, sorry).
Many physicists held onto the idea that the objective reality was somhow deterministic, but this point of view was finally put to rest by Bell's Theorem.
I think some of this "physical world is influenced by our knowledge" stuff is shown to be pretty ridiculous, especially in the famous example of schroedinger's cat. In fact, Schroedinger devised his example to show how ridiculous quantum physics can be, even though his cat is now the figurative 'poster child' of quantum physics.
Please, not Schroedinger's cat...
"Physical world influenced by our knowledge" is what you see around all the time: keeps getting dirtier because we know how to make styrofoam cups... nothing to do with quantum stuff.
What indeterminacy implies is a minimum level of --NOT 'knowledge', but, in fact "negative knowledge" --"ignorance"-- that pervades all physical phenomena, implicitly. Yet, the presence of "ignorance" (uncertainty) at the phenomenological level disproves the former assumptions that knowledge and the physical realm were perfectly orthogonal. In other words, "subjective" and "objective" are dimensions at an 89.9 degree (or minus 89.9 degrees :)) angle, but NOT 90.000.
In the example of the detector, it just goes back to heisenberg's uncertainty principle and the reasoning behind it. No magic there, no "thought influencing the universe". Only that our methods of detection interfere physically with the subject.
But in such mathematical way that no "fields" theory of any kind would predict; only uncertainty does. Not "thought influencing the universe", as much as the universe including thought, of a sort, at a fundamental level. What matters in this case is not that the detectors affected the photons. It's the WAY they do, that confirms Heisenberg's uncertainty equation to the tee. It's the fact that his (in-)equation tells us that the detectors could not - not affect them the way they do. They MUST. And that uncertainty is irreducible; if you squeez it here, it balloons there. And objective: If it squeezes itself here it balloons itself there, even when you're not looking. (That's what Schroedinger was trying to get across, BTW.)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I can see now you guys are really serious with these kinds of discussions. :lol:
From truth, to existence, to photons, to Schroedinger's poor cat. :)
I really am ignorant compared to how your minds work. lol
"see places with his mind"
Astral projection. Hahaha
And like that, most of your statements in our discussion amounted NOT to refutations of my arguments, but simply to discounting them.
Ahh. I did. :wink: To clarify something, I really was not targetting you solely when I quoted you's and said you's. :)
"Research is just research". Care to elaborate, and present a better alternative to research?
He meant, AFAIK, that research only digs into things, but cannot ever be the last word on a subject.
An erroneous assumption, as used by him though, IMO - although it will never be the last word, sometimes, evidence is rather conclusive, and strongly convincing of a certain model's accuracy (notice that truth is not involved - every field of science limits itself to developing models, nothing more, that may or may not model the perceived reality accurately - the goal is to find accurate models, which does not mean arriving at "the truth" - that's for philosophers).
Exactly as Klauss said. And I was wrong. :) I see why now.

And ziiiip. Mouth's shut.

:roll:

I'll squeak every now and then when you get past physics and philosophy. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

"Poor Cat", indeed.

Sorry if this is getting too technical, but there's something I feel I need to add. Schroedinger was basically saying "If the way some people are interpreting quantum physics were correct, it would seem to imply ... (insert his poor cat's story)". He was NOT saying that quantum physics itself was "absurd", by any stretch of the imagination; NOR did he imply to say that the conclusion was implausible. He merely wanted to draw attention to a seemingly implausible implication of a popular interpretation thereof.

There was a competing interpretation that would make his cat story plausible. I do not believe in it, but I'll put it here for argumental value:

An experiment was carried out, which is hard to explain without a drawing, but I'll try, anyways.
A large, square table. Looking at it from above:
1) Top left corner has a laser light source, shooting towards the right.
2) Next to it a detector that detects the passing of a photon.
3) Next to it, a semi-plated mirror at 45 degrees (beam splitter), such that half the light continues on to the right, and half the light reflects "downwards" (from our overhead pov). If light is waves, it splits equally. If light is photons, each individual photon can only continue on to the right, or get reflected downwards; --but not both.
4) Top right corner of the table, a mirror at 45 degrees reflects the horizontal partial beam "downwards".
5) Bottom-left corner, a 45 degree mirror reflects the vertical partial beam, sending it to the right.
6) Bottom-right corner, an interferometer checks for interference pattern where the two beams cross. It needs for light to behave as waves to form a pattern of interference. A single photon going through either branch would not, presumably, "interfere with itself"
7) "Above" the interferometre, a switchable mirror at 45 degrees on the path of the beam, normally allows it to go through, but upon receiving a DC voltage turns into a mirror, reflecting the beam towards the left. Switching is very fast; --in the order of nanoseconds.
8) To the left of the switchable mirror, a photodetector. It needs for the light to behave as a particle in order to respond to a photon hitting it.
9) Electronic equipment that, upon detection of a photon leaving the source, waits for a time, say 20 nanoseconds: long enough to make sure the photon has crossed (or been reflected by) the splitter, but short enough that it's about two thirds of the way towards the detectors. At the end of this time, it makes a descision at random: Whether to test for interference at the interferometer at the bottom right... OR, to turn the switchable mirror into a mirror and test for its being a particle.

The point of the experiment was to confirm or deny the "collapse of the probability wave" interpretation of quantum mechanics, which happens to be the interpretation Schroedinger was addressing through his poor cat.
If the act of testing for either wave or particle behavior is what "causes" light to behave as it does, the experiment should result in light always behaving as a wave, or always as a particle, or randomly, but, in this experiment in particular, NOT correlate to the test. Why? Because the descision of which characteristics to test is made *AFTER* the point at which the nature of light has to decide behavior, --namely, at the splitter.
IOW, if the photon is going to behave as a photon, it must do so as it passes through the splitter or reflects; and if it decides to behave as a wave, it has to split 50-50 at the splitter... BUT, it has to make this descision AT the splitter, that is, BEFORE what's going to be tested has been decided.

What do you think the result of the test was?

Light behaves as a particle when sent to the photodetector, and as a wave when interference is tested, almost as if it could "prophesize" what's going to be tested as, some time later. Or as if the "probability wave collapse" could, at the moment of collapse, "decide past events". If this interpretation were correct, we could say that the cat is neither alive nor dead until you open the door, but, when you do, it makes the cat "have lived, or died" long before.

I firmly believe that interpretation is incorrect, though. It seems anthropocentric, for one thing. For another, it soils the simple math with ludicrous concepts. The fact that quantum physics correctly predicts the result of the above experiment should tell us that nature simply IS the way the math describes it. Indeterminacy implies some kind of "observation", but it doesn't have to be observation by some biped in a white apron. What inderminacy implies is that events are indistinguishable from "observed events", and that, therefore, "knowledge", or the lack thereof, is fundamental, and not born of neural firings, or more concentrated around gray mass aglomerations.

In Philosophy we've had this argument going for millenia. Is consciousness purely mechanistic, or is there an ultimate "witness" to the results of brain computations? Quantum indeterminacy puts that question to rest, IMO: Yes, there is a "witness": Reality itself.