EDIT: spiritplumber need a hug -MKruer-

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

EDIT: spiritplumber need a hug -MKruer-

Post by spiritplumber »

i'm a friggin loser. i'm old and busted and obsolete and i have no right to be here. i think i need to make way. i hope i was of some help this far. i'll keep working on wcu just please don't talk to me because i don't deserve it. just leave a task list somewhere
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Task list:
* wash face
* have a hot chocolate
* explain: what's the matter?
* Example: compiler problem (why do I think I haven't touch the darn
things in months?)
* Example 2: bad date. What's new?
* Example 3: just depressed. Been there. (Been there for the past 3 weeks, what am I talking about?)
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

*gives spirit a big hug*

Whats happening girl? You are the best. WCU wouldnt go anywhere without you. cheer up! Everyone in this forums enjoys and appreciates all of your hardwork.

If you are having problems, you can feel free to speak with me about them. I am very understanding and open minded about matters. My e-mail is alanszepilowski@yahoo.com.br incase you need any kind of help.

You -are- our project leader, you -are- the main person here, you -are- the most worthy of working on this game. This project inst anything without you.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Don't be so daft.

You are WCU. You have made it happen. Without you, WCU would be nothing and nowhere, only PR would exist.

That's not to do a disservice to the other early WCU contributors, but it had fallen behind and you've dragged it back up kicking and screaming and then some more, and now it's forum is attracting more posts than any other VS board and other people are starting to pitch in.

You gave WCU the kiss of life. Without you it could easily drift off again.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Spirit, let me guess:
In the other thread klauss asked you if it was possible to make the guns aim to ITTS but "badly", and you said that yes it was and you were doing it. Then klauss said,
"Yay! You're the best, spirit!"
And now you find it almost impossible to do.
Is that it?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised. I was scratching my head after that exchange because from the little vector math I know, I know that's not easy at all.
I was wondering if you had a function somewhere that could generate a random small angle to add to the ITTS angle. It would be useful for you to have but I think it needs a bit of c++ to write the function, and I doubt somehow it's already there somewhere... I'll write the function tonight, but I don't know how to make it visible to python...
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Just changed the topic of your post. I wanted other people to post here how my they appreciate your efforts.

You have my contact info if you would like to chat.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: EDIT: spiritplumber need a hug -MKruer-

Post by Silverain »

spiritplumber wrote:i'm a friggin loser.
Yeh, right; and I'm a left toe!
spiritplumber wrote: i'm old
What? Your older than I am?
spiritplumber wrote: and busted
I only vaguely remember the photo you posted at Crius.net, and my fiance might have a thing to say if I comment too much... :lol:
spiritplumber wrote: and obsolete
Maybe, but since I'm old and don't feel obsolete, I think I can go one better!
spiritplumber wrote: and i have no right to be here.
Bull.
spiritplumber wrote: i think i need to make way. i hope i was of some help this far. i'll keep working on wcu just please don't talk to me because i don't deserve it. just leave a task list somewhere
Miss, you have been, AND ARE a welcome addition to the development team, and not just WCU. YOU provide the drive and central focus to keep the WCU project together and ongoing. Anyone contributing to WCU knows to check with you to make sure everything fits in the framework.

If you want or need a break, take it. We can leave a task list somewhere if you really think its necessary, but, really, we need YOU actively participating.

Looking forward to more of your contributions,
Silverain
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

You've done exceedingly well and there's nothing you should be upset about. Software engineering can be a bit frustrating at times, there may be days when everything you do flows smoothly but there are also times when everything grinds to a halt and you're left feeling burnt out.

You should know that whatever you decide to do, we will support you and remember that programming skill is not the only measure of a good person . Spiritplumber, you are a spectacular programmer and I'm sure that everyone here will agree that you've been the driving force behind WCU in the last few months. I'm sorry if you feel that the project has become a job to you instead of a hobby and something to enjoy in your spare time. You endured our endless stream of bug reports and feature requests and shown your patience and sense of humor in dealing with us.

Maybe you just need a short sabbatical from the daily grind. Go out with friends or family. Spend time not dealing with code, just walking around and taking in the sights around you and your friends to recharge your batteries, so to speak. I hope this helps.
Afterburner
Trader
Trader

Post by Afterburner »

You're doing a fantastic job with WCU.

Visit some friends and take lots of chocolate and junk food with you and watch a few good romantic comedies or tear jerkers.

Wishing you lots of hugs and kisses and cuddles in the next few weeks.

:D :D :D
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

wow... :oops: thanks guys, sorry for being an attention whore... what happened is that michelle has resurfaced in my life and i have been once more reminded that a pretty face trumps skill and honesty {{{every single time}}}.

i got some more stuff done... i don't think i will be as active as i was this summer though, my "first love" is still electronics rather than coding (i'm a EE student)

seriously, thanks for the support ^_^; sorry for bothering. i did need a bit of a break though.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

wow... :oops: thanks guys, sorry for being an attention whore... what happened is that michelle has resurfaced in my life and i have been once more reminded that a pretty face trumps skill and honesty {{{every single time}}}.

i got some more stuff done... i don't think i will be as active as i was this summer though, my "first love" is still electronics rather than coding (i'm a EE student)

seriously, thanks for the support ^_^; sorry for bothering. i did need a bit of a break though.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Spirit, get rid of that michelle piece of shit.
That whole saga a crius started when she drove you insane.
She's BAD NEWS.
If she won't stay away, just call police and get a restraining order.
Once is enough!
If you're going to let that piece of garbage into your life again,
then you'll be chosing that whore over WCU, coding, then EE too.
Get a restraining order, and out with her for good, like "Bye-bye!"
I mean it!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I did get rid of her, she just keeps appearing in my life -- most recently taking away a friend (well, i was hoping more than a friend, but that's how it went). Basically one day Chelle woke up, realized she was pretty, and started using everyone -- what makes my skin crawl is that society at large lets her get away with it.

I'll offer an example (I know all this because the landlady is a friend): Recently both of us needed to pay the rent. What I did was pay about 60% of it cash and save the rest by doing a bit of data recovery for the landlady's boss, one of whose PCs in the office had crapped out. Chelle got her own rent paid, in full, by some trannychaser type person who then she bragged about telling to go fuck off, also some stuff regarding shoes which I didn't understand. Result, the landlady can't kick her out for another month and we're still almost-neighbours.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Doh! Bad situation... Well, if she took a friend away, either your friend wasn't worth having, or he/she will come back. I'd make it clear to your friend that you can't be friends until Michelle's short-lived charms wear out, and your friend wants to see you, NOT Michelle, again. Nothing wrong with giving someone a stark choice, A or B, but not both, if that's what your needs are.

But, you know what? When I was in my 20's I had lots of friends. In my 30's I worried about having friends. In my 40's I got rid of them all, basically. Friends are a waste of time; even so-called "good" ones. It's all about shooting the crap, let's go for a beer, talking, and never doing nothing. Well, last friend I had we got into making amplifiers (around an invention of mine), and we got quite a bit of work done. Every evening we got together and worked. We did take a lot of smoking and coffee breaks, but we got things done, anyways. We'd agreed I owned 51% of the biz, and he 49%. He even said it was generous, since he wasn't an EE or knew anything about accoustics.
One day we got a contract to build a few amps for night clubs. Good news, right? Well, he borrowed some expensive equipment we'd bought, then didn't show up for a week, then called me from a bar, drunk, saying he wanted 50% of the biz or he was out. So I told him he was out.

No matter how many years a friendship may go for, nobody will know you better than you know yourself. And trust is overrated. Throw in a few bucks, or even a promise of a few bucks, and you'll see where trust goes...
Friendship is waaaay overrated, IMO.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

The same thing happened to my father, more or less... maybe it's a guy/girl thing, my mom and grandmother still see most of their friends from back when. Puts me in a funny position I guess :)

hey, thanks for worrying, i'm OK now... let's get back to blowing stuff up (IN SPACE!!!!)
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Uh... Do you have a pic of Michelle? I'm thinking, if we have some bitch to blow up in space, we should use her face on the vid-com. ;)
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Its cool to have friends.

The problem lies in the number of stupid people out there. As far as I can tell,80% of the people of the world are complete idiots and thats still a underistimating their numbers. Even worse is that stupid people arent stupid due to evilness, they just go about hurting themselves and others, without even being aware of it.

On another hand, inteligent people have to keep figuring out new ways to stop stupid people from setting the entire world on fire and throwing themselves into the barbecue. Thats called evolution. Technological evolution.

So, friends are cool... as long as you manage to keep yourself into those 20% -and- not let money somehow find its way into the friendship. I have to say I am proud of the few long lasting friendships I have :)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Actually, my expectations of friendship are very high, almost untennable: I'd say a friendship should help both parties overcome personal limitations, rather than be a mutual agreement of comfort in stagnation; should include shared interest AND hobbies, help achieve things that neither party could have alone, and it should be trusting enought that money could come into it, then leave it, and have no effect. Likely? No, but then again, it's not a necessity either. I have half a dozen "good friends", but I try not to get together with them more than once a month. 10 years ago I used to spend a lot of time socializing, but then I got tired of it. Hey, sometimes I miss sitting in someone's balcony, taking turns at a guitar, and sipping a beer while the barbecue crackes, though. But it's hard to have social life at the moment you miss it; it takes a lot of time to maintain one.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Spirit: blowing stuff for real is fun like hell. I remember my boy days... blowing stuff with firecrackers. Home built firecrackers (Don't try this at home... if you value your fingers): take a big bolt, spread powder on the thread, and then gently introduce the nut. When you smash that into the ground, it produces a big explosion. Very fun. And very dangerous too: when you're introducing the nut, it can easily blow your hand.
Next time you get depressed, try having fun with some firecrackers (not the home built ones, please - those and depression are a dangerous mix). Preferrably, next to Michelle's window, at night - say, 1-2AM? :twisted:

I know... childish... but, so you know, I'm very proud of my childish side.

EDIT:

WRT friendship. Many things will screw up friendship. Friendship, as all relations are, are not eternal. It must be mantained. And, sometimes, it doesn't hold up to either expectations or the obstacles in the way. I had a very close friend once. It was a shame how that friendship ended, because we actually didn't have a problem. To make it short, one day he decided to get together with my brother's ex-girlfriend. That wasn't the problem, actually. My brother left her because she was... kinda nuts. We tried telling him: she will mean trouble. But we didn't get much in the way, because that's the best way of ending friendship. Once, she got pregnant. And she came up with the brilliant idea of saying... that it was my brother's son! She was underage, so their parents... what's the word... sued? my brother. That meant big trouble for him. He could have went to jail for several years because of that. Luckily, my dad is a (very good) lawyer, and everything went smoothly. But, as my friend sided with her on that, I could do nothing but tell him how wrong he was, not only believing her, but also endangering my brother that way. I was actually ready to forgive, if he had shown any interest... but he didn't. He never came back, and that's how it all ended.
Now, we were good friends. The best, until then. What happens doesn't mean that we weren't good friend before. It only means that we took different paths: one moment our paths crossed, and the next they didn't. That's all.

Now, as chuck said: if he/she doesn't come back, it's him/her loss. As with my friend. Once he didn't come back, I realized there was no point in trying to fix that relationship, for it was a dead relationship. There was no interest in fixing it from his part... why would I care then? So, if your friend never comes back, it's his/her loss. We all know how great you are, so there's no doubt he/she is the one loosing.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

wouldn't be surprised if she sued me if i did any of that...

and yeah, blowing stuff up is cool ^_^; estes rockets are cool too. Making a cardboard rocket around an engine and giving it a little "warhead" is nifty, especially if you use a firecracker that makes a lot of light and launch it up in the air at night. Lots of fun on new year's eve... (that's when we do fireworks in italy)
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

spiritplumber wrote:wouldn't be surprised if she sued me if i did any of that...
Why? Is a little noise enough to sue you in Italy?

If things were like that in here, I would already be suing my neighbors across the street - politicians, go figure - they have parties almost every night, with loud (but mostly untasteful) music until 5am. And my room has a big window, which does a loussy job at stopping sound. (Somehow, it seems I got the only sound-transparent glass ever made).
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I'm from Italy, but I'm in the US. People here tend to be fairly litigious, I noticed... last year I got hit by a pickup truck (nothing big, just my bike was totaled but I was fine, so I told the guy to take me home and buy me another bike and we'd call it even and he practically jumped at the opportunity to do so) and there was a message on my phone from some lawyer who asked me if i wanted to sue... i called them back and asked them how they got my number, turns out that they got it from the ambulance who showed up. I told them to get a real job.
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's surprising how many biking accidents end up in a wrecked bike, but a perfectly healthy body. A friend of mine had a similar accident. He bent his helmet, ended up with figure-8 wheels, instead of omni (sorry - mike-related joke - and probably a bad one), and an awfully bent frame. But he didn't have a scratch. He tells the tale, how he saw the asphalt zoom below his nose, the helmet scratching against the road, but he didn't even bruise.

Amazing. Those things move you to religion... or gambling.

Of course, now he doesn't leave his house (biking) without a helmet.
Wing Commander Universe
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Some people are just blessed

Post by Fireskull »

*chuckles*

I have a friend who is really into motorcycles. And he likes to stand on one wheel and that kinda stuff.

One beautiful day he feel from his bike while he was about 70km/h ( you silly americans figure out on your own to transfer that to mph :P j/k). He had no helmet, no protection at all. He then hit the aslphalt and proceded on a slide. His clothes were completely trashed, and he lost almost all the skin at his back, belly and arms. He survived.

He couldnt even sit after that though.. it just hurt way too much. I dont know what kind of stuff he did to protect himself against infection but he didnt go to the hospital ( even if I almost dragged him there ). He didnt get any infections, or necrosis, and eventually healed on his own.

At least he uses helmets now.

Spirit: USA is crazy :) I live in Brazil... I have never heard of a sue because of car accidents here, much less noise.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

spiritplumber

If you work for NASA you can help them blow up some of the largest and most expensive firecrackers in the world. :-P
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident