Earth-like planet discovered

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

modern humans are only 160.000 years old. Everything else were some ancestors ;)

The babies with 'gills' well... ever looked at a fetus?
They have 'gills' (german Kiemenbogen, english brachial arcs, I think. There is sadly only a german wikipedia article about it).

Almost all important nerves are builded out of them...

A growing fetus is going through evolution in 9 month, from some cells, a wormlike creature, a fishlike creature, something looking a little bit human, even fur is there and completly lost.. and when there is a dysfunction, you'll get a babie with only one 'leg', without arms, without head, etc pp ;) So yes, we have 'funny' genes, but they are only needed in the first 9month to get to a 'complete' 'functional' human beiing :)

And recombination is not the only form of 'evolution'... it is the only one, your 'genetic scientists' are able to work with... please... search for 'mitochondria' .. this little fellows have mutations in their dna every odd thousand years.. and sometimes only one base has to flip to turn 'yunk' into something usefull... or something complety different ;)

You can use the mutations in mitchondria, to show when a species split etc because of this changes. Recombining is maybe the most important point for a stable and healthy population, but no recombining give you more chromosoms, or less, that needs some bigger mutations ;)

And while we are at it: in most human cells, we have indeed two sets of chromosoms, but this is not true for livercells... if a organism/cell is under very hard stress or has to deliver highend metabolistic capabilies, it usually has a lot more genetic material, than needed (barley is such an organism)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I agree with most of what you say, except the 160,000 year bit. You're drawing an arbitrary line between "human" and "ancestor", and you admited to, or at least used the word "form". I say that if you draw a line anywhere it would have to be on a genetic basis, not on a "form" basis, because there are many races among humans right now that have different forms, a pigmy for instance; and because part of my argument is that our genes contain many different forms. I don't believe in "junk DNA". But we don't have DNA samples surviving intact, so such line as I'm proposing would be fair, would be untestable. So my argument stands that we don't know.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

a pygmi (? Pygmäe auf deutsch) is a lot more similar to both of us, than any homo erectus ;)

And if you had taken some H.E from earth an put on a different planet, this ones would not human today, but a completly different species.

Like the birds on Galapagos or the fish in the Lake Victoria... isolated populations are going there own way.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Whatever. You're still drawing an arbitrary line and saying "this is human; this is 'ancestor'". There was a Scientific American article recently about one particular gene that affects the strength of the jaw muscles and circumstantial but massive evidence that suggests the time at which it changed, and the consequences it had on the size of our cranium, losing of 'bite' as a weapon, and the need to invent tools. And that's just one gene. So, even if you find differences in the numbers of eyes or toes between us and those 'ancestors' it does not necessarily prove that there were enough number of *genetic* differences to justify considering those ancestors as of a non-human species.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

are you talking about autralopithecus robustei?

This one was more or less a two legged ape ;)

And it is very easy to draw a line: modern humans are Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Everything else are ancestors or sidelines (like the Neanderthaliens who looked very similar, lived at the same time the first modern humans lived... but their genes were incompatible).

A donkey is a donkey, a horse is a horse, a human a human, and a homo habitus a homo habitus.
Sure, horses&donkeys lookalike and can have sterile offsprings.. but not fertile ones, and that is important.

If you'd seperared some of the ancestors, you do get something different, like the Neanderthalien, who had the same ancestors like homo S. but was not compatible.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Neanders were incompatible, yes; does that make them non-human?

Before you say anything... I don't agree.