brainbreaker

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

gazzy
Hunter
Hunter

brainbreaker

Post by gazzy »

i was looking for some puzzles on the internet, i had nothing to do.
then i stumbled on this

can anyone solve this?

http://www.ongein.com/ongein/item.aspx?ID=1115
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

That one is quite old and easy to solve if you use a ruler and not a math book ;)

Pontiac
gazzy
Hunter
Hunter

Post by gazzy »

*holds ruler against screen, sees where the hole comes from and applies head to hard surface*
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

gazzy wrote:*holds ruler against screen, sees where the hole comes from and applies head to hard surface*
You did apply a ruler physically on your computer screen? If it's a CRT (one with a curved surface) you are banging the head not hard enough. ;)

The puzzle makes it rather hard being solved, because it just hides obvious facts quite clevery behind the human mind/senses.
I solved it all by myself (the mathematical way, no ruler involved .. the numbers just don't add up), but before this i thought 2 days straight into the wrong direction, misleaded by the friend who gave it to me :roll: :D

Pontiac
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Acutally i have a cool counter-riddle here:

"Show a way to slice ANY angle between 0 and 360° into three smaller equal angles (speak: create an angle one third as big as the original)....
....But using only a pen, a ruler and a pair of compasses."

Happy riddling :D
Pontiac
gazzy
Hunter
Hunter

Post by gazzy »

i have a flatscreen, so my head is ok
:D

and with your riddle, im am horribble with angles at maths, so
thats the first reason that i couldn't solve the puzzle :oops:

the rest of my maths doesn't suck that hard(i am only for the first year on high school)
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

gazzy wrote:i have a flatscreen, so my head is ok
:D
Good to hear :D
and with your riddle, im am horribble with angles at maths, so
thats the first reason that i couldn't solve the puzzle :oops:
Ok, i was unfair when posting the last riddlle. the answer is hidden somewhere in THIS post,. you just have to search ;)

Pontiac
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Um... I can do bisection! :?
EDIT: Ahh... tricky tricky.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Does the solution require full precision in finite time?

If one can bi-sect, one can go another step and divide the angle into quarters.
Then I'd move-in one quarter from each side and bisect the middle quarters into 1/16th's. Then move in one sixteenth form each side, and divide what remains into 64th's, and so on...
1/4 + 1/16 + 1/64 + 1/256 + ... = 1/3

The first puzzle reminds me a bit of the old one about the three guys that go to a pub and order 3 beers. When the waitress comes she forgets it was happy hour and charges them $15. Each pulls out a $5 bill and give her the three bills. When she takes their payment to the cash, the casheer says "Don't you know? It's 3 beers for the price of two, at this time." So she rushes to give the guys $5 back, but, along the way she thinks "well, they split the bill, but how are they going to split $5?", so she decides to tell them that the bill was $12, gives them back $3, which they dutifully split 3-ways.
Now the question is: Each spent only $4, in the end. $4 x 3 = $12. There's $2 in the waitress' pocket. So that makes it $14. Where's the missing dollar?
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Does the solution require full precision in finite time?
I will meet you in the middle here. If you find a way to 'survive' the infinite time to finish it and then tell it to me ... then yes :D
But i think normally these 'ruler and pair of compasses' riddles need to be solved in finite time .
The first puzzle reminds me a bit of the old one about the three guys that go to a pub and order 3 beers. When the waitress comes she forgets it was happy hour and charges them $15. Each pulls out a $5 bill and give her the three bills. When she takes their payment to the cash, the casheer says "Don't you know? It's 3 beers for the price of two, at this time." So she rushes to give the guys $5 back, but, along the way she thinks "well, they split the bill, but how are they going to split $5?", so she decides to tell them that the bill was $12, gives them back $3, which they dutifully split 3-ways.
Now the question is: Each spent only $4, in the end. $4 x 3 = $12. There's $2 in the waitress' pocket. So that makes it $14. Where's the missing dollar?
I have heard this riddle in at least a few hundred variations (with the only differenc that it's normally 30 instead of 15 'things') ...
... and if you try to calculate as the riddle-teller want you to, you will never get the solution ;)
The last dollar got lost in 'bad math'.

Pontiac

PS: For german readers: Google groups: de.rec.denksport especially the FAQ ;)
There is an english equivalent for sure... but i do not know the name.