Vegastrike Novel

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

How much would you pay for a decent Vegastrike novel?

Nothing, you Capitalist Pig!
18%
Nothing, you Capitalist Pig!
18%
$5 for electronic
14%
$5 for electronic
14%
$10 for electronic
No votes
$10 for electronic
No votes
$15-25 for electronic
No votes
$15-25 for electronic
No votes
$5 for book (physical)
5%
$5 for book (physical)
5%
$10-15 for book (physical)
5%
$10-15 for book (physical)
5%
$15-25 for book (physical)
5%
$15-25 for book (physical)
5%
$30+ for book (physical)
No votes
$30+ for book (physical)
No votes
$10-20 for one of each
No votes
$10-20 for one of each
No votes
$20-30 for one of each
5%
$20-30 for one of each
5%
$40+ for one of each
No votes
$40+ for one of each
No votes

Total votes: 22

Zephiris
Developer
Developer

Vegastrike Novel

Post by Zephiris »

Well, I've been tossing around the idea of writing a novel based around Vegastrike...and it seems like a good one. But, considering this is an open source game (and I'm a very poor developer working on it when I can find the time, hah), would people expect the book to be free (as in beer, as in speech, or both?) because of it?
I'm thinking of ways to make it really interesting, not like your "typical" scifi-of-this-type novel, but before I really get too deeply into it...I already have other ideas for novels rolling about which I'd perhaps be somewhat more inclined to write about at the moment, so it pretty much comes down to...what does it mean to the community, and what does it mean for me?
How many of you would want to try out such a thing? Would it be more enticing to have the first chapter (or so) for a free teaser?
Would anyone feel generous enough to donate to help me complete such a book? *chuckle* Would people support a free book, if enough were willing to donate to make it worth-while?
*shrug*
Don't consider me just being greedy here...because if I'm going to write a novel...I'm going to really push myself and try to make it as enjoyable for (you) the readers as I possibly can...well...at least as good as someone who's only had poetry published before can push herself towards as an honest first attempt. ^_^;
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

If you are going to charge for a novel, you would need to ensure that it is commercial quality if you charge commercial prices.

Probably the easiest and best would be a teaser chapter for free. Then publish additional chapters online to be accessed for a fee. I think Stephen King did this (one writer did anyway)?

Oh, and please quote is it $US for us foreign nationals out there! :)
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

The universe is still a little on the raw side for hosting a novel. I guess this is as good a motivator as any for me to pick up my pace on cooking it ;-)
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by richard »

I'd never buy an ebook. Can't stand reading on a monitor.

I *rarely* buy a novel by someone I don't know (ie. generally I'll borrow a book from a friend, then buy it and more by the author).

Having said that, I'll pay trade prices for a paper book. That's around AU$10-$15 for a published paperback. I'd never, ever buy an unpublished novel. Copy editors are a Good Thing ;)
Gamer, Python programmer
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

If you donate a copy of the first chapter to the Interplanetary Library System, I'd read it there, and see if it's worth a few thousand game credits to read the following 3 chapters; and if I really get into it I might be willing to pay $10 online even, for it in electronic (in-game compatible) form. But it depends on (a) the quality of the writing, (b) how consistent with the setting in the game it is, and (c) how comprehensive and detailed it is.
To charge $15 for a printed book of any size might not make you any profit at all. For a printed book you should be looking to charge double that; but in order for it to sell, it should include chapters about the game: a reference, ship stats, fighting tactics, a physics reference for those interested in the technology used by ship drives, acceleration and all that; and last but not least, maps.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

yeah.......consistancy with VS universe would be my main worry (as there isn't really much on what the universe is like, writing a whole book while trying to keep it consistant would be more than a challenge :-) )

Other than that.....if it's a quality book, I'd pay quality prices (if it's not, I still might :-P )

Dan.a
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Personally, I would like to see a free online version, and a commercial priced softcover/hardcover version. A book like that could be a collection of short stories written by various members of the community, and edited by someone like Jacks before released.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

what I think would be cool is if the writer would make

a) the first chapter free
b) subsequent chapters in an open format (i.e. .txt or .tex)
c) the chapters individually purchasable (or some deal for all at once)
d) after some reasonable quota of purchases by users the entire book goes GPL or BSD license :-)

d) would probably ensure the slashdot effect along with rabid GPL or BSD dogs as the case may be descending upon the book, buying it into the open domain

besides once ppl buy something into the BSD or GPL licenses its' not of much use to the author any more simply because it's dated and said author should be working on future works

this could be an example to the rest of the publishing community as to what can be done
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by richard »

Look up the creative commons for open licenses suitable for texts.

http://creativecommons.org/

Also, if you're interested in working in a collaboration on this (say, Peorth and JackS), then I just happen to be the lead developer for a publisher that's developing an online collaboration system for developing books (amongst other things).
Gamer, Python programmer
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

sounds like a great idea, i would definitly pay $5-$10 for a physical, edited book...i don't care if it has been "published" by some big publishing company or not.. i'd definitly get it edited by at least 4 people or an expert editor, but i would definitly support this...on-line version should be free though
good luck with that
as far as short stories are concerned, i might be up to writing a vegastrike short-story or two, depending on the supp[ly of my creative juices(if in fact i have enough to make one short story..lol)
Excuse me sir, can you tell me how to get to Omicron Persei 8?
My Website|Please do not click here
ssfsx17
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by ssfsx17 »

Here's the problem with any possible VegaStrike novel:

It wouldn't be too original.

Let's see here... you have the stereotypical Terran Confederation (why is it a Confederation most of the time?), the brutish Aerans, the mysterious Rlaan, some lesser races, pirates, and a bunch of rebels named Luddites. Unless VegaStrike's own core fiction is developed to the point at which it is way more interesting than other stories that follow this exact model, I would not buy such a novel.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

ssfsx17 wrote:Here's the problem with any possible VegaStrike novel:

It wouldn't be too original.
Definitely some truth to that statement :)
Let's see here... you have the stereotypical Terran Confederation (why is it a Confederation most of the time?), the brutish Aerans, the mysterious Rlaan, some lesser races, pirates, and a bunch of rebels named Luddites. Unless VegaStrike's own core fiction is developed to the point at which it is way more interesting than other stories that follow this exact model, I would not buy such a novel.
as to why a "confederation": primarily because it's a good name for a governing entity lacking strong centralization and cohesiveness, and is consistent with discussions of balkanization.

Given the game requirements that one encounter potentially hostile entities even when flying through systems controlled by friendly governments and far away from any military conflicts, that civilians are allowed access to a remarkable array of death dealing devices, and that life is otherwise quite screwed up for the normal spacefarer - the inefficiencies, jurisdictional disputes, and byzantine political maneuvering birthed from a cauldron of bickering constituencies is a convenient explanation. Many other reasonable forms of government have a nasty habit of getting their act sufficiently together (even if not in pleasant ways) that the sort of environment desirable for this genre of game is incredibly unlikely to exist (not that it's that likely even given a "squabbling principality" analog).

I'd like to think that we'll be able to make the Confederation a little bit more than mere stereotype fodder by lavishing more detail on its member meme-groups. Humans are, however, a distinct challenge in portraying convincingly, as most of us are well aquainted with them. :)

Aliens are a challenge primarily in being crafted to be sufficiently alien for that to mean anything. I'd disagree with your one word categorization of the Aera as brutish. Brutal, ruthless, and paranoid, yes - but brutish? They are not wantonly cruel or violent, they do not honor mindless destruction or the fulfillment of craven impulses - they are merely innately untrusting, aggressive, and hold to a morality distant from those prevalent among most modern human cultures that instructs them to be unwilling to allow anything to come between their current and indefinite existence. The only inter-species wars fought in the current era of the Vegastrike universe have been waged over the (entirely correct) Aera realization of their impending economic marginalization if they allow the other powers to expand continuously while they are themselves restricted in growth potential.

Still, that's not too alien really...
I don't think we'll have succeeded in making the aliens sufficiently divergent from humans until it becomes clear that having a dinner conversation with member of any given alien species would be disconcerting on some meaningful level. If you could pretend it was just an odd man in a suit - we're clearly not done yet.

I think that's the general state of affairs at this point though: we're not done yet, and, until the requirements the game places upon the universe are more firmly finalized, one can't rule out unfortunate amounts of retro-active continuity repairs (like what will have to be done about the changes to FTL). Which is not to imply that I've even come close to finishing writing up even cursory descriptions of much of what's in the VS universe as it currently exists. However, I think there's still enough marination time left for the VS universe to distinguish itself as a very quirky and memorable victim of cliche, if still a victim of cliche.