Linux install from usb

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

dividenot
Trader
Trader

Linux install from usb

Post by dividenot »

I've been trying to get a copy of Linux onto my machine since I got it (a couple of weeks ago :lol: ).

It's a pretty capable machine. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have a cd, floppy or any drive but one 40g harddisk. I've got the capability to boot from a usb and I've been trying that. I can get DOS and a version of DSL to run off the usb but I've been trying to install Ubuntu onto my harddrive along with WinXP that I'm running right now.

I have to have a cleanly formated partition reserved for Lunix right? Can it be FAT,FAT32 or does it have to be a different file system?

I've got an iso of Ubuntu 'ubuntu-8.04.1-server-i386.iso' and enough space on my usb to fit it and a bootable DOS or DSL(Damn Small Linux) on it. And I can boot up DOS or DSL and see the iso, I'm just really confused about what to do with the iso file and how to make it install itself.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The version you down loaded is the server version ubuntu-8.04.1-server-i386.iso' not the desk top one and you boot directly from the iso :shock: make the usb memory stick bootable a full buntu install needs between 4 to 10 Gb then you would want some space for a home partition for your data :wink: and yes linux can run with a fat 32 file system but you loose full permissions with it and the security is out the window since you can boot from usb i would hunt down a usb hard drive encloser and put a 200 or 500 Gb drive in it :D use some for XP storage and the rest as a your linux install and it will be able to read and write to the XP partition you can get lots of help from the various linux forums,Though you will be expected to try and find a solution yourself first :wink: just part of the culture.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dividenot
Trader
Trader

Post by dividenot »

I must have spent atleast a week or two trying to get Linux installed with WindowsXP before I decided to give it a rest and wait until I save up enough cash to either upgrade my current machine or get a new one I can work from. I tried all kinds of stuff including formatting my flash drive with DriveKey from Hewlett Packard. I think the limitations of my computer are too numerous to make it easy for me.

I'll definitely check out the Linux forums. Guessing from your avi and sig I assume you have linux running on your machine. May I ask if it helps playing or modding VS?(that question goes to anyone who deals with VS in linux)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

i run fedora just one of the many Linux flavours and yes VS runs better :D less OS overhead so there is more room for it and since VS runs quite nicely in user-land so that is where i run the svn version as it may change everyday :D and as for modding it's pretty sweet as most of the tools you want are installed by default or if not just a matter of firing up your package manager (add/remove software) entering a password and you can usually find it in your distro's repos if not build it from source but that is getting rare now a days.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2