OBITER Space Sim

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

dividenot
Trader
Trader

OBITER Space Sim

Post by dividenot »

Just out of curriosity. Anyone tried the Orbiter space simulator? Pretty neat little sim. But it's way out of my league. I've tried it several times but haven't gotten very far past the auto-guided tutorials. No wonder why people have to go to college for a really long time just to fly space vessels.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Re: OBITER Space Sim

Post by HoodedWraith »

dividenot wrote:Just out of curriosity. Anyone tried the Orbiter space simulator? Pretty neat little sim. But it's way out of my league. I've tried it several times but haven't gotten very far past the auto-guided tutorials. No wonder why people have to go to college for a really long time just to fly space vessels.
Actually, when I want a dose of hard sci fi (of which Chuck is a big supporter) I usually hop into one of my larger mod vessels and take a nice leisurely stroll around the system.

For the most part it's not all that difficult, you could do it with some scratch paper, a pencil, a decent calculator, and of course the mathematical knowledge. Generally I would take about 15 minutes or so to plot myself a course outsystem, and then just mark down my burn times so that at appropriate times during the voyage I flip and reverse burn to decelerate.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.