The History Quiz

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

darthbob88 wrote:I'll let someone else ask the question this time.
Very well --

Pete Seeger once spoke of a murdered colleague -- "As long as his music is remembered, {my friend} will not be dead".

Of whom was he speaking ?

(More clues will be provided, if required, tomorrow)
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
arno
Hunter
Hunter

Post by arno »

Jennifer Lopez!
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

arno wrote:Jennifer Lopez!
Not the person in the quote that I encountered; but if you can back that up with an appropriate reference, I shall accept the answer.

The quote does run "as long as his music is remembered . . .", so it is reasonable to expect that the original quote referred to a male personage of some flavour.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Would the answer be John Lennon?
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

darthbob88 wrote:Would the answer be John Lennon?
Definitely not.

I'm not sure that Pete Seeger & John Lennon would have seen entirely eye to eye.
Pete's friend is best remembered as a fellow social activist, although he saw that as only a small part of his own life.

To be honest -- my question arises as I don't think that his friend's music *is* well remembered any more. Although I recently heard an article on the radio that discussed the continuing influence of that music on other musicians.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

So, people seem stuck. One & a half further clues -

Half clue: Think 1970's.
(This is only half a clue as Pete Seeger was at his most active in the Vietnam War protests.)

Whole clue: I would expect Klaus to find this a much easier question than Darthbob88 would.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Okay. People still seem stuck.

Recently there were complaints of "too much Murikan military histroy". SO, this question relates to South American history (hence why Klauss would reasonably be expected to have an easier time of it.)

The continuing stuck-ness of people on this question may have some bearing on why there have not been many questions of SA history.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

I offer the next question to Arno, for best effort.

[Edit: Arno does not appear to have noticed
--> The field is open for any person who has a good question]

It seems sad that Pete Seeger's fear has come to pass -- this music appears to have been forgotten.

Victor Jara was a musician and social activist and university professor in Santiago, Chile. He was murdered 1973Sep15 (along with many others) in the process of the US backed coup to overturn the democratically elected government of Salvadore Allende.

The myth that I believed for many years was that they cut off his hands so that he could not play his guitar; and then shot him when he sang anyway without accompaniment. While that myth has been discredited; his last three days, in the care of military, were still very brutal.

History -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Jara
Discography -- http://www.nuevacancion.net/victor/2001re.html
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

24-hour rule. :P
two questions:

1)What was the first commercial airlines in asia?

2)what organ in the human body was once a third eye in primitive vertebrates? This "eye" was actually an external organ in th extinct labyrinthodonts (large amphibious vertebrates, from devonian i think?).

Clue:This organ, like the appendix, has no apparent function to humans.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Oblivion wrote:24-hour rule. :P
two questions:

1)What was the first commercial airlines in asia?
Do you mean the first airline based out of Asia, like Air India, Tel Al, and more like them, or the first airline to provide service in Asia?
2)what organ in the human body was once a third eye in primitive vertebrates? This "eye" was actually an external organ in th extinct labyrinthodonts (large amphibious vertebrates, from devonian i think?).

Clue:This organ, like the appendix, has no apparent function to humans.
You're most likely referring to the pineal gland, which does have a legitimate purpose in the regulation of circadian rhythms, though it was thought until the '60's to be a vestigial remnant of a third eye.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

based on asia. hehe. It's the Philippine Airlines actually.

you got it. The pineal gland. And it IS the vestigial remnant of a third eye. but in the literal sense. :) It is present as a third eye (in structure, if a bit limited in function) in the Tuatara, which is the only surviving member of an older family of lizards. however, the organ has changed functions in higher vertebrates (like as you say, determining circadian rhythms).

anyway your turn. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

The appendix, for your information, is the vestigial remnant of a branch of the intestine devoted to digesting tough plant-matter like grass and leaves. There are very small amounts of the bacteria used to do this in there now (far too few to actually digest grass).

The appendix is sometimes used to patch other parts of the body if they are damaged. It is, however, wholly vestigial, can become inflamed and is on the way out, which, unless we need to eat grass again, is probably a good thing.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Oblivion wrote:based on asia. hehe. It's the Philippine Airlines actually.

you got it. The pineal gland. And it IS the vestigial remnant of a third eye. but in the literal sense. :) It is present as a third eye (in structure, if a bit limited in function) in the Tuatara, which is the only surviving member of an older family of lizards. however, the organ has changed functions in higher vertebrates (like as you say, determining circadian rhythms).

anyway your turn. :wink:
Thank you. Wikipedia would seem to support your statement that Philippine Airlines is the oldest airline in Asia.

My question: To the best of my knowledge, there are only three or four species of deciduous conifers, trees which lose their needles in the winter. Name any two.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

targ i knew that. :wink: heh. ive got a BS Biology behind me and a decade or so of interest in life sciences in general.

okay, my answer for the next question:

just conifers (i mean the needled ones, pines, fir, spruce, etc)? or including conifer allies?

i'm just guessing. heh :P

1. ginkgo or maidenhair tree
2. cypress?
Last edited by Oblivion on Fri May 04, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

He is, I think, looking for a "Tamarak" -- a common swamp tree in northern climates. It turns to a yellow/gold colour fairly early in the fall season -- very pretty. But a tamarak is quite a mess if you need to sweep it up -- the needles do not blow away on their own the way that deciduous leaves will.

So --
There are at least 4 larch species that are deciduous. (including Tamarak)
There are at least 3 cypress species that are deciduous.
There are at least 5 redwood species that are deciduous.

Does that count as 12 entries? or 3?

I expect the Ginkgo will be rejected for not being a conifer at all. But I will pass the question to Oblivion anyway should it be awarded to me, as I do not currently have a good question.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Correct for both of you; I know of Larch/Tamarack, Ginkgo, and Dawn Redwood/Bald Cypress, with their relatives as well. I give the question to Oblivion, and apologize for the quality of the question as my brain is shot to hell and breakfast.