Passion

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Kaine
Trader
Trader

Passion

Post by Kaine »

This message goes out to everyone regardless of race or religion, creed or color, male or female, everyone. If you do one thing in the near future, go to see the film The Passion of the Christ. The film is just amazing, crushingly awe-inspiring. Whether you're Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, whatever - you really need to see this. It will affect you in a powerful way, and it's worth it.

Know this going into it: the film is rated 'R'. Very rated 'R'. It's positively brutal. The only thing that will keep anyone from seeing this movie is fear. And believe me, there is much to fear. But be bold. Step through those doors, watch that screen, and don't take your eyes off of it no matter how bad it gets. You'll take something out of it no matter who you are. That's all I can say...

-- Kaine
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I've heard that everyone in the movie speaks the languages of the period. Aramaic, Latin. That is really cool.

I don't think I'll be seeing any movies in theatres until after RoTK is long gone, though. But that's just 'cause I'm too much of a nerd to take notice of the real world.
dfryer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dfryer »

I'd be interested to know how much latin was actually used, since the entire New Testament was written in Greek. Aramaic would have been the "local" tongue, I guess, and Latin the official language of the Roman Empire, I guess Greek was the standard "trade language" or maybe just the standard for writing.

I'd probably go see the movie if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in midterms.

And poor.
Kaine
Trader
Trader

Dual Language

Post by Kaine »

I found it pretty interesting that Pilate (governer of the area) spoke BOTH languages. He spoke Latin to his soldiers, his wife, etc., but spoke Aramaic to the Jews. It makes sense when you think about it, but you don't really think about it.

It was kind of fun telling the difference between Latin and Aramaic as well. I took a few years of Latin, so I actually understood quite a bit of what was said. And Aramaic is characterized by lots of gutteral sounds in the back of the throat. Watching Pilate go from one to the other was kinda like, "Ooooh. That makes sense..."

-- Kaine

"If you go to the Middle East and say 'Achkch Wickhck Kchcickch Orchkchkch', someone will answer you."
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Passion

Post by richard »

Kaine wrote:Know this going into it: the film is rated 'R'. Very rated 'R'. It's positively brutal.
This made me laff and laff: http://www.odt.co.nz/cgi-bin/getitem?da ... &type=html
Gamer, Python programmer
Vespero
Trader
Trader

The passion

Post by Vespero »

Kaine wrote : "Whether you're Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, whatever - you really need to see this."
Incidentally, I just thought you might like to know that Mormons consider themselves to be Christian. Just FYI. Thanks for making your point in a respectful manner. I haven't seen the film, but I've read the book. :D
Vespero,
Eis, o homem!
Macacos me mordem!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Passion

Post by dandandaman »

Kaine wrote:Know this going into it: the film is rated 'R'. Very rated 'R'. It's positively brutal.
hmm......I think it's only MA here (15+, but younger if accompanied by an adult)..

but I'd agree, the violence is almost continuous....I was wincing pretty much the whole time ;-)

great film though :-)

Dan.a
Kaine
Trader
Trader

Er, yeah...

Post by Kaine »

To Vespero:

Yeah, I had someone else point that out on a different board. I knew about the whole Mormon = Christian thing. I just wasn't thinking when I posted the message. :P Sorry about that...

-- Kaine
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

the?

Post by ace123 »

I'm curious: is there a reason it's called "The Passon of the Christ" instead of simply The "Passion of Christ"?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: the?

Post by jackS »

ace123 wrote:I'm curious: is there a reason it's called "The Passon of the Christ" instead of simply The "Passion of Christ"?
Because Christ is a title, not a name.

Christ

\Christ\, n. [L. Christus, Gr. ?, fr. ? anointed, fr. chri`ein to anoint. See Chrism.] The Anointed; an appellation given to Jesus, the Savior. It is synonymous with the Hebrew Messiah.

replacement by synonym makes this more clear:

"Passion of Anointed" vs. "Passion of the Anointed"
or "Passion of Messiah" vs. "Passion of the Messiah"
Kaine
Trader
Trader

Eh, maybe...

Post by Kaine »

Well, "Christ" is more of a title than the name it has become. We all tend to refer to Him as Christ, but the grammatically correct way to say it is "the Christ". I'm pretty sure anyway...

-- Kaine

edit: Oops, looks like jackS beat me to it and did a better job to boot. Good call.
Last edited by Kaine on Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

It's like when I bake a "the muffin"

it's a single muffin, and so ostentatiously.so that the must be prefixed before its each use.

Sample sentence:
"I just ate a the muffin"
"this the muffin is good"
"I gave a bit of this the muffin to the cheat"
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Post by Guest »

I think the title "Christ" translates roughly to "the bringer of light" or "the bearer of light".
Vespero
Trader
Trader

Post by Vespero »

Kaine,
No offense taken about the Mormon=Christian thing, my friend. Oh, incidentally, "Guest," Christ means "the annointed." It is the equivilant of the Hebrew word "Messiah." Lightbringer or lightbearer is actually the meaning of the name/title "Lucifer" who, according to the account of the bBible, fell from heaven and became Satan.
Back to the main subject: the reason they call him "the Christ" rather than "Christ" is the same reason that John is called "the Baptist" rather than "John Baptist." The format is name, and then title. Another way was to say were people were from, since he was also know as "Jesus of Gallilee," similar to another bibilical character "Joseph of Arimethea." Basically, the name/title "Jesus the Christ" it is saying "Jesus the Annotinted."
Macacos me mordem!