Article about Vega Strike

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Article about Vega Strike

Post by eracc »

I wrote an article about Vega Strike today. Check it out and feel free to comment at the bottom of the article. :)

GNU/Linux Gaming - Vega Strike for All
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Article about Vega Strike

Post by eracc »

So, I have over 1400 unique views on this article since I posted it yesterday afternoon. None of you here have commented. Go say something. :P
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Something.

You have 60 views of your post, but more importantly 2000+ of the article. So thanks for writing it. :) Since most of the comments on your article's page are spammy, I added one that is less so.

The article is good -- short and clear. The fourth paragraph is a bit strange. Up to that point you were explaining your experience in normal language. But when you shift voice to the reader, which by itself is appropriate and expected, you also turn highbrow uber-formal with "one" this and "one" that. It reads as if you expect that paragraph to be graded by an Ivy-League English professor, instead of read by regular people who like Linux and/or gaming.

I also have a question: when did writers start using "she" as the generic third-person pronoun? I must have been overseas when this happened because I missed the announcement. It seems to me that "he" worked for thousands of years, or if you want to be PC then "he or she."
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Thanks for the comment on the post. I am not sure why I changed styles like that in the article. However, the use of "one this" and "one that" is proper as far as I know. My wife, a former writer and sometimes editor for a small newspaper, read it and had no complaint. She liked it. ;) Thanks for pointing it out though. I will be more aware of looking into that as a problem in the future. :)

I'll send you a private message, that needs to stay private, about the he / she thing.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

He / she dudn't matter to me! This is actually not the first time I've seen "the player" referred to as a she.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.