RFC on some Good ideas(maybe)

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Breakable
Hunter
Hunter

RFC on some Good ideas(maybe)

Post by Breakable »

Hello there,
I was carrying some good ideas(maybe) in my internal persistent memory(brain), and today I chosen to express them, so they might see an implementation someday.

I think currently best ideas are those that are actually implemented in the end, so I hope I will either be able to do that myself, which would take a while to learn the code and find the time, or will be able to persuade some developer to look into it. Also I think that ideas that are easy to implement but greatly improve the playability (not necessary adding a new feature) are the most valuable at this time.

These are the improvements I consider easy and valuable:
  • a)The docking and jumping system currently requires to press a key to activate. I would propose to change this behaviour to pressing a key before the docking/jumping procedure, which would toggle the "prepared for docking/jumping" state only, and after approaching a the location where this action can be performed it should happen automatically.
    You could argue that this key could be totally unnecessary, but I would like to highlight additional advantages: flying trough a jump point can sometimes be performed accidentally, which should not initiate jumping.
    As an advantage preparation for docking can change to autopilot behaviour. That is when auto-docking is on, autopilot instead of stopping in some distance of a target could continue moving on a vector pointing to docking point. Of course indication for these states should be present.

b)It is very nice that point of interest for base navigation are currently marked with blue stars, but there is one problem - you don't see them until you don't find them. Although it is nice to discover some things ;) that makes them less useful than possible. If they would be changed to either shine full/half bright, or pulse in random brightness by default that would make them much more useful.

c)I would love to see some settings that improve game play on lower end system. I expect that the developers still didn't have their go at it, because the high-end systems are not satisfied yet. I have taken a small step in this direction, but I dint produce a patch that is ready for svn yet. I need to prepare something more useful and customisable.

d)There are many interesting load-screens in vega strike. I would love the loader be improved to show them in a more explorable fashion. The current fashion does not seem random enough (no random seed?).I usually see the Aera screen when the game is loading and Vulture screen twice, when the save game is loading, with something intermediate. I would propose to ensure the starting screen is really random, but would expose only one seen at a time (one when game load, and one on save load), to allow for longer viewing pleasure :roll:

e)I have seen some very nice ideas, and good constructive criticism in the forum, but they doesn't seem to get noticed. Is there a system to notify developers, maybe an idea database? Or some way the senior-non developer members could alert the developers and project leaders? Of course not about some crazy newbie rants (like mine ;) ), but about solid, simple, applicable and interesting proposals.
    EDIT:Found the feature request database. Anybody reads it?
    http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... on_.5BY.5D

d)I hope I will see some constructive criticism, although this forum doesn't seem very active. Making it more active trough social networking could play in the advantage of vega strike (digg, stubleupon, delicio.us, vote!vote!vote!).
Anyway best of luck even if this post wont be noticed by anyone :D :roll:
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I like the idea of keeping those wiki pages up to date, or even make new ones to organize your ideas. And just links to the relevant forum topics.

To keep it from getting lost, you can start a new topic in this forum and Sticky it, or if you do not have access to sticky, post the message and someone like me can come by and sticky your post.

Unfortunately feature requests are hard to notice in the ocean of bugs :-).

There's also a Sourceforge tracker page but again that's yet another thing to look at.
Breakable
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Breakable »

Well it I decided that actually updating wiki would do less use, than posting patches for the proposed features, this is what I am planning to do... Well wiki might get updated, if the patches takes too long...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Cool

If you need help with some part of it, my AIM is phrh8, or you can e-mail me at ace123,users,sourceforge,net.

Or, just post here in the forums.