Cockpit Controls

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Warlord_Endar
Explorer
Explorer

Cockpit Controls

Post by Warlord_Endar »

Hiho,
what really bugs me off until now in every Simulation are the stupid control methods.
e.g. you have to know BY HEART dozens of buttons to do this and that.
e.g. change a screen, change target ...

it could be easier at the beginning to have one key to change the mouse control from cruise control to in cockpit control to for example change a screen, change weapons, communicate, etc. and then go back to cruise control. get me?
sKaar
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sKaar »

yeh, when the mouse crosshairs are at centre things are fine, you dock, move the mouse to get a reload, launch, things are sweet. jostle the keyboard tray...bam, the crosshairs are off in the corner, the ship is spinning, you're an easy target. i'd like the option to turn the mouse off, or have it centred after a launch. i was thinking that it'd work to have the mouse turned off during flight mode, but that would cause more problems, so yes, mouse off option, centred when the mouse is turned on again.
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

You can turn the mouse off in setup, just select Mouse Control - No Mouse :wink:
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

You can also try the "mouse warp" mode which doesn't require the mouse to be centered for it to stop, just not moving.

A good compromise would be a "center mouse" key for mouse glide.
Warlord_Endar
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Warlord_Endar »

i think you got me wrong...
what i meant was:
I want to have a button pressed, in order to do something with the Cockpit controls in FLIGHT with the mouse. like e.g. transfering energy to a subsystem, changing displays (e.g from objet/target view to target commuication).
when i then press the button again, the mouse is set to its previous position when i was in flight control.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

That would require functional graphical cockpit controls first. At the moment, there's nothing to click on while you're in-flight. All controls are mapped to keyboard/joystick/mouse buttons, not graphics on screen.

That could prove interesting, putting common/useful functions on graphics in the GUI, but it would likely require much work to get it functioning.
Warlord_Endar
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Warlord_Endar »

look at Wing commander Secret Ops...
you press a button and with your controller movement you apply more energy to a subsys, but its not what i am dreaming of
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

I see, so something like "press 'q' and move the mouse (up/down) to <do something>"

Also interesting, though I'm not familiar with the internals of the engine, so I don't know how feasible that is.
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

A key could let a ships narrow interface slide in from one side, where are groups of 3 graphical buttons each, 'nearest', 'previous' 'next'. At least navigational purposes could be managed here with mouse and "no need to be fast" like things.
jumppoints, planets, bases, dockable ships, missiontargets.

15 keys freed for other more "i need to be fast" like things :D

Who knows what other features such an interface would offer.

[EDIT]
Well, -1 key for the interface to slide in and out :wink:
Endar
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Re: Cockpit Controls

Post by Endar »

Just to mention. I am the same person that has the Warlord_Endar Account.
I just found something, that is close to what I am dreaming of:
http://www.dataweb.sk/projektsm/dow.htm
Version 1.5
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome back :wink: I like the screen shots and it does look like it would be simpler use but i think that integrating something similar in VS would require a complete rewrite of the I/O systems as there is currently no way to hook it in.Interface decisions are usually the one of the first things in the design process as it has certain lock ins that effect all later options.It may be possible with CEGUI which will be available when we finally get to the ORGE rendering back-end not sure though as i have not done any serious coding in 20 yrs :? And C/C++ where not my languages of choice then.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Ah! "After the port to OGRE", how many times have I heard that one :) , makes a great phrase, ranks along side such likely happenings as hell freezing over and pigs flying. I can just imagine it in common usage now;

"hey, that's my parking space, move your car!"

"I'll move my car after the port to OGRE you *!£!%
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That wait is mainly due to a lack of actual coders and the real life entanglements of our current crew keeping a roof over one's head does seem to take priority over a game.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Who needs a roof? Just pitch a tent! :lol:

Mike