Sol planet backgrounds...bit dissappointed

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Seriphyn
Explorer
Explorer

Sol planet backgrounds...bit dissappointed

Post by Seriphyn »

So, I finally make my way to the awesomely huge Sol System, and land on Earth, the big big cradle of humanity...and it's exactly like a university planet. Okay, head over to the Moon, hmm Trantor...then Mars...seen it all before.

Question. Just who did those arid and oceanic, as well as bio-diverse and trantor, planet backgrounds? They are awesome, and is it not possible to make other planet backgrounds more consistent, namely university and the night one. Maybe you could get that guy to make a Sol backgrounds to that quality exclusively for those planets? So Earth is, like, the bestest looking planet in the entire game (living up to the whole anticipation of finally finding it) as well as with Mars and all that.

-Seriphyn-
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

Actually, given Earth/Terra's history in the game, I'd expect it to look the most shoddy of them all, since it's like "that house that nobody wants, but the owners are too poor to go anywhere else" in a planet.

So yeah, in a way, I do agree with you, it should look different, but not in a good way.
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

Sort of like the decaying slums that were portrayed in Blade Runner?
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

I'd say those weren't quite as accurate as some of the ones I've seen described in some of William Gibson's books. I can't remember who wrote Blade Runner, which is why I said it like that. It could have been Gibson, but for some reason, I don't think it was at the moment. Back to the subject at hand...

The slums I'm referring to are something like a shanty-town shack combined with a high-rise building... in other words, buildings made from scraps of scraps that weren't good for anything else, piled on top of each other to make an apartment-like complex of mostly metal.

I never got my hands on Blade Runner (the book) unfortunately, so I'm not sure if this is a similar description or not. I have seen Johnny Mnemonic and Blade Runner as movies though, and I'm referring to buildings much like the Lo-Teks' rather than what I remember from Blade Runner (though I do agree that the story was better as far as Johnny Mnemonic goes).

From what I know, the story doesn't describe that part of Earth (buildings, that is) that in-depth, so at this point, either interpretation is fine, but that's more what I was imagining from the description... I'm being intentionally vague because I haven't found the information in the wiki, or on the site yet, so I don't want to screw things up, as I'm prone to do quite often.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

grendel0226 wrote:I can't remember who wrote Blade Runner
"Blade Runner" (1982) is a science fiction film. It bears relatively little resemblance to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" (1968), a short novel by Philip K. Dick. (Out of print, unfortunately.)

What they *do* have in common is that both were fairly radical for the time in which they were produced. Dick's representation of a decaying San Francisco was in great contrast to the positive expansionist viewpoint of the day; while Blade Runner is a graphic representation of a post modernist Los Angeles at a time when such ideas were not yet as acceptable as they are today.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

Yeah, I thought Dick wrote the story the main idea is based off of in there, but I know there's also a Blade Runner and a sequel to it in book form, which I thought preceded the movie.

As far as Dick's and Gibson's style in that part of the future goes, it's based on the same idea: humanity screwed up somehow, and tech decides the winner of the current wars (whether they be with Corporations, street gangs, technology that advanced itself or what have you).

But what I was referring to with being intentionally vague is the storyline of VS on Earth. I'd really rather a more authoritative figure like JackS finish this before I screw something up, but at the moment, it doesn't seem like the way Earth/Terra looks is really that big of an issue yet, and it may never be with what I started being off-topic with here specifically.