Tractor beam suggestion

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Peter1x9
Trader
Trader

Tractor beam suggestion

Post by Peter1x9 »

I don't really like the way tractor beams work in the game. When I tractor cargo in with an autotracking tractor beam sometimes the cargo will go flying off or will collide with my shields and then enter my cargo hold (even in a big ship with lots of room). It's also pretty hard using a tractor beam without autotracking.

I liked the way it was in the original privateer: put the tractor beam in a missile slot or on a turret and "fire" it with the target locked. It would do the aiming, etc for you and drag the cargo in.

There was also another option I liked from Tachyon The Fringe. This involved simply flying within range and beaming the cargo into your cargo hold. I would like to see something similar in VS: have a buyable "transporter/teleporter/whatever you want to call it". Once you add this to your ship all you need to do is fly within a certain range of the cargo and activate it. You could even do multiple levels: maybe have the more expensive ones beam cargo in from longer ranges and pick up multiple pieces of cargo?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That seems 0.4.3 behavior.
SVN, IIRC, has something like autotracking built-in in all tractor beams.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe