Universe map

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
kawk
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Universe map

Post by kawk »

Something I would love to see in VS is a galaxy map. If you've ever seen the EV game series you'll know what I mean. What I mean is that there should be a map that you can pull up that shows you where all the systems you've visited are. So it's basically a "web" of small circles with lines interconnecting them. It's hard for me to explain, though, so I'll see if I can find a screenshot.

Thanks.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

the Navcom does that ATM but not very well and is overwhelmed by traffic in the dev version.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Maybye an improvement though...?
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

It would be nice if the one that's currently there would show which party controls which systems, and which systems are experiencing the most military action. It would probably be best to limit that to all nearby systems. Either that, or you could integrate the news feed with a map, so you can actually tell, geographically, where events are happening and also possibly gain more locations on your nav computer. You'd need to make the news system more active if you did this though.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Now Providence has convinced me. :D
fuzzy_memories
Merchant
Merchant

Post by fuzzy_memories »

Hey, (just like to mention it's my first post)

I know what you mean. I've never played the EV series before... But i understand how it gets very frustrating, perhaps that's where nav comp comes in, but i don't know how to use it :(.
Later today i'm going to make a topic about things that i think are missing/need improving, and i'm of course, mentioning a few games (only one of them is commercial).
One of the games is "Evochron alliance" if you do a google, you'll come up with a 1 hour gameplay trial, bu it has some excelent features in.
I think we should steal a few.... For example:

The way when you enter a planet (trying not to burn up) the engine renders a random mesh for whatever sector of the planet you are in, and if you target right you should have just 1 landing zone (on a pre-set mesh) and you have to actually LAND on the planet... Don't know how hard it is to implement though...

The other idea i like is the way the JUMP drive works. I'm more of a fan of the SPEC drive to be honest, but if you sort of merged the two, where you can use SPEC for inter-system travel and if you wanted to go to... let's say.. Sol, you would go into your NAV computer (with an easier UI) and select Sol, it would then come up on the side like it does with a mission, so in the format:

NAV (where cargo, bounty or whatever would be)
Jump to Azzahbtk enroute to Sol

and automatically select the next jumppoint when you enter the new system.

again, this is just some things i've not yet thought through properly...

But if you managed to read all that and not break your keyboard over your head with frustration, thankyou :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

the NAVCOM does handle routes so that the next jump point is selected automatically but as you have mentioned the UI sucks.the whole thing is up for a rewrite as it does not handle the level on traffic in the development version planetary landings have been discussed quite extensively and the general concuss was that it would need a major reworking.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

As long as the NavCom is getting rebuilt, I would like to make a suggestion. Somebody asked, in the Tactics forum, just how to find a system controlled by the Aera, and it seems to my mind that it would be a good idea if the NavCom could find, and chart a course to, the nearest system controlled by a given faction, like the Aera, Rlaan, or whoever, so I could purchase one of their superlative fighters or whatever. Oh, and it'd also be neat if it could chart a course to a given system, regardless of faction. :)
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

An update for a Navcom will hopefully be in the next release, fingers crossed.
fuzzy_memories
Merchant
Merchant

Post by fuzzy_memories »

*Squeel* Thank god for that. Sorry but i hate not being able to go where i need (for example. charting complex routes for cheap goods) Hopefully it'll be a little like VSnav or the other one (forgot the name lol)
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

fuzzy_memories wrote:*Squeel* Thank god for that. Sorry but i hate not being able to go where i need (for example. charting complex routes for cheap goods) Hopefully it'll be a little like VSnav or the other one (forgot the name lol)
For now, I just Jump through any system at random hoping to find something interesting.. :)