Finish the SPEC drive

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
J18_2Late
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Finish the SPEC drive

Post by J18_2Late »

I was playing around with the math to make my personal auto-pilot(Traveling away and around stellar bodes to get a avg. speed multiplier of 200000 is faster then traveling in a strait line near one with an avg. speed multiplier of 2) I had an epiphany. It seems my ship can't fold space(to simply arrive at my destination), or can't make temporary wormholes of it's own. That's fine, that would require game play balance ,and the explanation of how the ship has that massive a sum of power.

However; If I can compress space to accelerate, Why can't I expand space to decelerate? For that matter why contort space uniformly? Why not anchor my my ship to a fixed point just off to one side while expanding while expanding the space just off the other; Slinging me around the fixed point at neck braking speeds. Then warp the space my ship does occupies so that it's either less dense and has almost no mass(no inertia), or super dense and is not stressed beyond what it can handle?

For that matter if I can warp space to adjust my mass why do I have still inertia in the first place?

Edit: Ohh, While I'm thinking about it: If we can bend it why hasn't some one build a massive device that does have the power to fold space to the point of making a wormhole or a "fold gate"?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

For that matter if I can warp space to adjust my mass why do I have still inertia in the first place?
good point. SPEC does seem to behave like it is just an ordinary accelerator engine, not a warp drive.

Again on the rpoposal of SPECIZ, SPEC could just cut off once its near a station, reverting to 0 acceleration and velocity (or it would be better if the engines resume the speed by which they were travelling before SPECing) . The player must then engage normal thrusters to approach the station. Safer, right?
Ohh, While I'm thinking about it: If we can bend it why hasn't some one build a massive device that does have the power to fold space to the point of making a wormhole or a "fold gate"?
agree. The jump holes, imo, should be artificial. "Wild" wormholes are just too unstable, a ship could probably be trapped in hyperspace, looping eternally, or come out inside out.

Jump holes should be changed to Jump Gates. A station by its own right.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Oblivion wrote:
Ohh, While I'm thinking about it: If we can bend it why hasn't some one build a massive device that does have the power to fold space to the point of making a wormhole or a "fold gate"?
agree. The jump holes, imo, should be artificial. "Wild" wormholes are just too unstable, a ship could probably be trapped in hyperspace, looping eternally, or come out inside out.

Jump holes should be changed to Jump Gates. A station by its own right.
The entire jump network is artificial and known to be such, but whatever devices created or continue to maintain the point-point connections have yet to be discovered, discerned, or duplicated by any of the known extant species. Which is to say, there aren't any gates to be seen.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Ah! :D

....(in quivering, mysterious, sotto voce)..

...ancients....

:D Still, could we replace the ugly doughnut shapes to an animated, and alpha-mapped ball? Even a plain inversed star texture and model would be better(at least to me), than a green doughnut. I did notice one screenshot with a 'tornado' on the center of the doughnut. Does this exist? How come I haven't seen one?
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Oh, I've colorful swirls going right through the doughnut in my game... :D
But they only show after you jumped. Did you ever looked back after a jump?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Oh yeah. I've seen that too. In fact I was wondering if it was only present in some systems, absent in others. :wink:

But.. :D there should be frosting too on the doughnut before you jump. And the doughnut farem should be visible only on cockpit view.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What's wrong with the donut?
I kinda like it.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

it's only an artafact of your HUD after all,it's highly unlikely that visual phenom would be side effect of the points ecistance.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Nothing's wrong with it, except that it's unrealistic to keep seeing the thing even when I'm viewing outside my hud.
it's only an artafact of your HUD after all
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Oblivion wrote:I did notice one screenshot with a 'tornado' on the center of the doughnut. Does this exist? How come I haven't seen one?
As I recall, that was supposed to represent an unstable wormhole, which in theory could take you anywhere. Did that ever get implemented?

P.S. Hi all, long time no see!
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

welcome back Silverrain :D

dunno. but since the last posting here, I've seen tornadoes aplenty. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Silverain wrote:
Oblivion wrote:I did notice one screenshot with a 'tornado' on the center of the doughnut. Does this exist? How come I haven't seen one?
As I recall, that was supposed to represent an unstable wormhole, which in theory could take you anywhere. Did that ever get implemented?

P.S. Hi all, long time no see!
I think it was. I'm not sure whether the current dataset uses the feature, though, beyond drawing them as unstable.

Oh - and nice to see you again, Silverain.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

The doughnut reminds me of the wormhole metric itself...a kind of hyper-torridal superstructure in space that connects two points in space to create near-instantaneous travel. There's some really good wormhole graphics on the wikipedia aricle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

WORMHOLES!!!!!!

Also look here for a more "absurd" method of space travel, though not impossible, just HIGHLY improbable ;)
BE GOOD.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nano_Lite there's a model for the "Golden Heart" buried somewhere in the forums :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

The "red" wormhole appears whenever the jump is in use (either by my ship or others if I'm not mistaken). I have also seen a "rainbow" wormhole which doesn't close like it's "red" counterpart. I am guessing that they are either a rarity or it was in a pre-defined system. Oddly enough... there was a research station right next to it.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
AlbertSpeer
Trader
Trader

Post by AlbertSpeer »

I've seen the rainbow ones collapse.

I saw something about the rainbow wormholes being 'unstable' somewhere in the documentation, but the same place said that this is currently unimplemented. Too bad I can't remember where that was... :(
Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GC/CS/E/IT/M/S d+ s+:+ a--->? C+++ UB+++/L+/X+ P+ L+>+++++ E--- W++>+++ N- !o K w--- ?O M++>$ ?V PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP- t 5++ R tv-- b+++>++++$ DI++++>$ D++ G++>+++++ e->+++++ h! r->r+++ y-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Jesse_the_Midget
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jesse_the_Midget »

here's a thaught, why not have massive station-sized guns that charge up for 5 minutes, but then can lock on to two objects, bend space, and make them collide at massive velocity? it'd be cool as an anti capsip weapon. :idea:

(ohh, that'd be sooo awesome! beams that can actually alter velocity in any direction!)

eh, what do the jump drives do anyway, shouldn't flying through a wormhole be enough if it's already there?

also, spec drive should have, in my opinion, modes. one would be how it is now, the safest approach, then there'd be emergency modes that'd do what others have said but be dangerous.
AlbertSpeer
Trader
Trader

Post by AlbertSpeer »

Jesse_the_Midget wrote:eh, what do the jump drives do anyway, shouldn't flying through a wormhole be enough if it's already there?
Based on reading http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... lar_travel, it would appear that the jump points only mark locations where space-time is 'weaker', so that a concentrated gravitational field (created by the jump drive) can breach the wormhole's event horizon, allowing the drive-equipped ship to traverse the wormhole. Wormholes normally don't stay open for long enough for anything (even light) to cross through, and so the drive would (I guess) also be necessary to prevent getting 'stuck' in the wormhole.
Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GC/CS/E/IT/M/S d+ s+:+ a--->? C+++ UB+++/L+/X+ P+ L+>+++++ E--- W++>+++ N- !o K w--- ?O M++>$ ?V PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP- t 5++ R tv-- b+++>++++$ DI++++>$ D++ G++>+++++ e->+++++ h! r->r+++ y-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

The unstable wormhole is just supposed to lead to a random system, i.e. you don't know exactly where it will take you, no matter how many times you traverse it... if my understanding was correct.