light units

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Another future request, would it be possible for me to toggle light seconds/minutes to just plain old distances? It would be like distances 10,547,473.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Quick, which one is better to read? "18 light seconds" or "5396256 kilometers"?
:D Dup. i see it now. Great! And thanks a lot for the little table. :wink: I'm not too well versed on measurements you see.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

paslowo wrote:Another future request, would it be possible for me to toggle light seconds/minutes to just plain old distances? It would be like distances 10,547,473.
Actually, hard coding all that in the engine is not the way I'd like it to be, but that's how it currently is. These things should really be adjustable and give the option for different texts and languages without recompiling. As far as I understood, the new GUI (coming with ogre) will provide scripting support for these kind of things.

@Oblivion: Well, light travels at 299792.458 kilometers per second in vacuum (by definition). Therefore a light second is 299792.458 kilometers. (To convert the distace of a lightyear into kilometers, find out how far light travels in a year by multiplying a light second with the number of seconds a year has.)
Using other measurements of time to convert large number of kilometers into light units up to the famous and often used lightyear seems quite convenient and, in the contenxt of this game, appropriate to me. :)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Zeog:
multiplying a light second with the number of seconds a year has
:lol: gives me a headache already. :) I agree wholeheartedly tho. Better to see smaller numbers with larger measurement units than to view the whole string of gazillions in kilometers. :wink:

And light measurements would undoubtedly be used more often in ftl space age. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...