Merging VS with other open-source projects

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Merging VS with other open-source projects

Post by Shark »

I was wondering if it would be possible to merge portions of code belonging to other open-source projects with VS, and vise versa.

VegaStrike needs a dynamic economy, and a strategy game might need a 3D engine to resolve combat in.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

As long as the other project is GPL, sure. That's kinda the whole point. :wink:

VS is a bit of a tanker, though... hard to imagine actually slipping it into another game. Algorithm swapping is a bit more realistic.
test3244
Explorer
Explorer

Post by test3244 »

there are plenty of space games with stragety aspects.

i would be very disappointed if different gameplay gernes were added to vegastrike.

it would be ok to have as a seperate 3rd party mod as long as it does not dictate the way the main vegastrike gameplay is played now.

let alone the space flight shall we?
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

There's FreeOrion, for instance. Their license is the GPL. They're currently at version 0.3 and are developing a space combat model for version 0.4.
Last edited by Shark on Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Integrating an RTS game into Vegastrike to be used as a back stage feature of the universe dynamic thing would be cool. But it's gotta be handled carefully and it's not as easy as integrating it and then boom it now has it.

But whats not cool is integrating a different engine it to play Vegastrike as a different game type rather than space flight combat.

Back where Vegastrike was going to have MOO aspects in the game, it was ment to be the back stage feature for the universe.
Dominos Muris
Trader
Trader

Post by Dominos Muris »

I'll tell you what vegastrike needs...
a ship boarding system.
maybe you could go about in first person
blowing alien scumbags to shreds. :twisted:
THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWSOME!!!.
Not that you should though, its a top notch game already.
KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!
you blood sucker
what is greater than god, more evil than the devil, rich people don't want it, and the poor have it?
Pipin: FEK! FRODOO IS DEAD EGIN!
Sam: no Mr. frodo! No! don't leave me like this!
Ahnold: STOP WHINING!!!
Me:...pretty ring...
Frodo: ITS MINE!!!
Sam: YOUR ALIVE!!
Gandolf: NOOOOOOO! STAY DEAD! *blast of deadly magic*
peloskie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by peloskie »

the problem with people boarding ships is in first person shooter view is, there are a large number of 1000+ meter capital ships in the vegastrike universe.

who thinks who has the time to actually model the interiors of these giant floating massive structures?
light_gemini
Merchant
Merchant

Post by light_gemini »

the problem with people boarding ships is in first person shooter view is, there are a large number of 1000+ meter capital ships in the vegastrike universe.

who thinks who has the time to actually model the interiors of these giant floating massive structures?
Not talking about the dozens (maybe round a hundred?) soldiers inside waiting for the tiny privateer that just came to pay a visit. :roll:
----------------------------------
High above the clouds,alone,in a beautyfull and deadly world, I found my problems on the ground would never be important no more!!!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

WCU has some sort of ship boarding.
If you leech the life out of a ship, you can dock with it and plunder (you buy everything for free methinks - never did it myself).

But it's true that it has serious consistency issues, I'd leave ship boarding for when it has been given much... much more thought.

FPS approach is infeassible.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Has anybody tried Transcendence? It's freeware, I forgot the developer, but it's a lot like Vega Strike. Except it's 2d. Even the weird inertial propulsion system is the same. :P

They have aliens too and stuff. It's economy is static, however. But some of the AI and planetary textures, plus the map system looks really good. And even for a 2d space shooter, it's reall

One thing I suggest about economies is to have SOURCES where the prices are lowest and then OPTIMAL BUYERS, where items are rarer. Then all dockable things are arranged inside such a spectrum for each cargo.

And have the pilot be able to actually get the products at their source. Either by piracy, mining, etc. oh well... that's a bit too much to ask for yet. :)

Anyway, with the ship boarding system, I agree FPS is a really really ambitious goal atm.

Transcendence has the system too, Klauss. When a ship get's destroyed. It either vanishes or it leaves a wreck, which the player can board to get loot. And the looting part is really nothing more than buying items for free, while jettisoning is selling them for nothing. :wink: That idea would be good for VS, though we'll probably have to have damage models, or at least a really messed up alpha'd and blackened damage texture.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oblivion wrote:That idea would be good for VS, though we'll probably have to have damage models, or at least a really messed up alpha'd and blackened damage texture.
That's the plan for 0.5.x, maybe not 0.5.0, but eventually.
The idea is a bit more complex, though.
I was thinking of having "fuse points", junctures that can be blown, and those would split models apart. When you bang up something real hard, you end up with tons of chunks flying around. For the parts that can't be split up, though, a damage model would be necessary. I haven't worked up the details, but ya... killed capships won't vanish, not under normal circumstances, so you'd board them and loot them.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:D sounds cool.

When you'd like some models to play with, just pm me, and I'll mess up some ship or two. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Post by daschapa »

As a boarding system I hav a sugestion:
Considering that normally, when in combat, a ship gets damage in different systems (ECM, Engines, Jumpdrive, Sensors), a life support subsystem may be included. When this subsys gets 100% all crew dies, and the ship is gets derelict. We can repair life support landing in our recentelly aquired ship, then we take it
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

good idea. but only if you're driving a capship capable of tractoring in smaller ships.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Post by daschapa »

I think it may be resolved two ways:
  • If you disabled a smaller ship, you can tractor it to your cargo bay
    If you disabled a larger ship, you may dock in it, then the ship is yours
But, the ship must be "derelict" in order to do it.
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Hmm... it's alright