Keyboard Bindings

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
xTs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by xTs »

Halleck:

Yeah, nice idea, but a delay just for the first startups... if you just wanna play a bit a delayed startup is pretty annoying.

(there should be a console somewhere, too, and there could this thing get displayed)
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I don't mean that we should artificially make the load times longer, I meant that the since the data we would be displaying and 'embelleshing' onscreen loads pretty fast compared to textures and stuff, we'd work in a "delay" so that the information is displayed with a built-in time lag while other things that take longer are loading in actuality.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

[quote="Silverain"]This query is mainly for the international keyboard users:

What keybindings are ones that commonly cause grief for you? Example ~, | etc?
[\quote="Siverain"]

ok, nothing works, execpt the characters, +, -, backspace, home,end,esc.

Every composed sign like ';' is not working, nor \, ~ (which needs alt gr+space+~ to get it) etc pp.

(wtf is | for? but I am pretty sure it never worked too)
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

| (pipe) pauses the game. in a weird, way though. it nerfs some gfx output, too.

I use a german keyboard layout, but even switching to english layout doesnt give me the original bindings.

for some keys i have to use the german (normal) way to get the desired effect, for some i gotta use the native (english) layout combos. this is indeed very weird.
I havent traced the problem, really.
but its weird.... very
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

I have a german keyboard too ;)

And it does not matter, where I look for ;, it does not work, btw | does not work too ;)
Espinas
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Espinas »

Hi,
I use keyboard and mouse to play so I'd like to make bindings to use with my left hand. I mean, I can reach about 20 keys without moving my hand (1,2,3,4,5,q,w,e,r,t,a,s,d,f,g,z,x,c,v,b) plus spacebat, tab, ctrl and alt.
I can use some others keys too but for rarely used functions or commands I don't have to use with timing, I mean, I can have a little pause, look at the keyboard, move my hand and press.
Is there a list of all the avaliable commands so I can see how to arrange them with this in mind?
Can I use key combinations like ctrl+a, alt+a, shift+a, ctrl+alt+a, etc? I've seen shift use as modifier but I don't know how far this extends, is ctrl+space valid?
Anyway if I come up with something usefull I'll let you know.
Tnx.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

@ Espinas
Look in vegastrike.config file under bindings, and it gives you the list of commands, and current binding keys. Just change the keys as you want. You can use capitalised letters (e.g. 'M') but not m with modifier shift, but you can use letter e.g. 'm' and alt or ctrl in modifier.

Thoughts on rebindings:

I'm considering (right handed) designing a keyboard only keybinding pattern. This will have navigation/movement for the right hand (probably use keypad), and common keys used for left hand. Divulging to modified keys then keys toward the middle of the keyboard for lesser used functions.

I am also thinking where possible to use only keys common to most keyboards (numbers, letters, function keys etc), and avoid if possible using uncommon keys (like |, ~, auumlat(?) etc). Maybe these keys could be left as a configurable option under setup?

Thoughts people?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Finally found that page with the keyboard comparison:
http://www.geocities.com/mikehorvath.geo/keydiagram.htm
(or http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quadran ... iagram.htm )

Doesn't seem to be working anymore, though. :(
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

energyman76b wrote:Hi,

I have a german keyboard too ;)

And it does not matter, where I look for ;, it does not work, btw | does not work too ;)
wtf ?
sure the pipe works.
just hit Alt and <
or try shift and <
or try shift and #
or alt and #

whatever it is on the germany keyboard with english settings ;)

but thats the stuff im reffering to, its not 100% english / german, its some weird mix-up.
:roll:

but since i am so used to english keyboards too, its not causing too much problems.

for a ; just hit "ö"
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

> sure the pipe works.
> just hit Alt and <

does not work
>or try shift and <

does not work either

> or try shift and #

who thought about that? Btw, does not work, too.

> or alt and #

that does just not work

> for a ; just hit "ö"

and that does not work. Without shift, with shift, without alt with alt, without alt-gr with alt-gr, without strg and with strg, it does not matter, it does not work.

I KNOW english layout, ok? I was forced more than once to play the 'gues which dammn key is what' game. And the problem is, that neither the 'german' keys work, nor where the english layout should have put them.

Working is +/- from the keypad, backspace and all minor signs, that do not need shift/alt/strg everything else does not work.
(btw tab+caps lock can look your speed at the negative maximum, very annoying)

But since vegastrike is the only game with such probs, I am bound to blame VS and not my beloved keyboard (http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~abe/cherry-g80-2100.html look at it and cry, I have two of them ;) ).
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

So, am I right in thinking that the following are common keys across all keyboards?

Function Keys: F1 - F12
Number Keys: 1-0 (across top of main keyboard section)
Letter Keys: a-z (and Shift of these letters?) Exception: y & z are swapped on some formats - but this is minor.
Misc Keys: Esc, Tab, Backspace, Enter, Space
Direction Keys: four arrows
Keys: Insert, Delete, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down
Keypad Keys: keypad 1-0, and clockwise from top /, *, -, +, enter, point

So its mainly language specific keys (aumlat? etc), and additional keys such as ;, :, / etc that may be there but accessed differently (US keyboard shift+key, German keyboard alt gr + another key etc).

So, often used functions (e.g. flight, targeting) should be assigned to the common keys, with the more esoteric or rarely used commands assigned as language specific keys (we could setup vegastrike.config to select these functions and keys on a language specific basis).

Thoughts?
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

the problem is not, that the ; should be where ö is, or it is now (third from the right shift) but that it is just not possible to create on ingame.

If 'ö' or shift-ö would be acceptet as ; fine, but it is not, and that is annoying. Something is wrong with the keybindings, because other games were not so picky ;)
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

energyman76b wrote:Hi,

the problem is not, that the ; should be where ö is, or it is now (third from the right shift) but that it is just not possible to create on ingame.

If 'ö' or shift-ö would be acceptet as ; fine, but it is not, and that is annoying. Something is wrong with the keybindings, because other games were not so picky ;)
AFAIK I think VS will not recognise such keys as 'ö'. Please check this forum link for some details.

Particularly ace123's post. Could you could test it?
I'm pretty sure you have to use entities

The entity for ü is &uumt;
so put &uumt; instead of ü.

If that doesn't work, then try placing this line at the beginning of the file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
and then use ü.
edit: or <xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1">?

Maybe if the xml line works, it opens the use of those keys for language specific selection?
Espinas
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Espinas »

I'm working on some script to read the bindings from the config file and show them in a keyboard layout using a html table and css. Unfortunately I'm just learning php so the code is really bad but I think it will be working soon. Is there any software that can do this kind of thing?
The next step would be to create the config file based on the layout but I think that would be harder.
Anyway, when I have something I'll post it here in case anyone is interested.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

I may have an answer for accessing international keys. Following is taken from the help file of Windows Notepad:
Notepad allows you to create and open documents in several different formats: ANSI, Unicode, big-endian Unicode, or UTF-8. These formats allow you to work with documents that use different character sets.

By default, your documents will be saved as standard ANSI text.

Unicode is a superset of all the major scripts of the world. It includes character sets common to business and computer use. When you save a document in Unicode, you can use Unicode control characters to help with text flow and direction for languages such as Arabic and Hebrew.

Some fonts cannot display all of the Unicode characters. If you see any characters missing in your text file, you can change the font to one that includes the character. Generally, Microsoft Sans Serif is a good choice for Unicode characters.

The bytes (a unit of storage) in a word in a Unicode document created on a big-endian processor, such as the Macintosh, are arranged in an order opposite to that of the bytes in a word in a document created on an Intel processor. The most significant byte has the lowest address, with the word stored big end first. To make your documents accessible to users on these types of computers, save your Notepad file in the big-endian Unicode format.

UTF stands for Universal Character Set Transformation Format. UTF-8 is the 8-bit form of Unicode. Save your document in UTF-8 if you are using older transmission media that support only 8 bits of significant data within individual bytes.
AFAIK, the current vegastrike.config is saved as an ANSI file.

Armed with this, I created a new .txt document, but saved it with Unicode big endian encoding (for macintosh access I presume this would be needed - see quote). I then copied the information from the current vegastrike.config into my new document and saved. I then changed one of the keybindings to ü and saved. Renamed document to .xml and tested in IE to see if it worked - it did.

So, this may solve our problem of accessing international keys. I need someone with more knowledge to test that this all works. If it does, then I can structure a set of common keybindings (as previous posts), and create a language selection for language and keyboard specific keys.

Question: Could we also tie in language selection to the Vega Strike translations?
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

@hellcatv and devels,

Is it possible/how hard is it too incorporate the pause function into the cockpit::quit function?

So,

I hit Esc which pauses the game, then brings up the Quit screen (press q). I can then leave it on pause, exit pause by hitting Esc again or quit out of the game completely via 'q'.

If this is possible, I would like to request it please. My belief is that it is easily understandable (many games use a similar function structure), and will free up a key for me to re-use.

Thanks
Silverain

P.S. I've also noticed that the 'Pause' key (currently bound to Pause function) doesn't actually work - any idea why?
Aydan
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Aydan »

I think the problem here is that VS doesn't use keys but rather characters
so if there's a mapping for ";" you have to press the key that types ";" on your keyboard. the problem with the german pipe "|" is that it's only accessible with "alt gr" + "<" and that collides with vs's because "alt" is a modifier. so the keybinding should map on "real" keys not caring for the individual language specific layout.
xTs
Explorer
Explorer

Post by xTs »

Aydan:

Well the same problem appears on the german keyboard layout with ";" because you have to press shift+, here to get semicolon, but VS just waits for a ; without pressing shift.

That's the reason, why i'd like to see a remodelling of the way the keybindings are stored in the config file.
Aydan
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Aydan »

Hm, actually the ";" should work, cuz "shift" is not a modifier key for VS. Only ctrl and alt are.
My System:
Athlon 3000+ on nforce2 | 1.5GB RAM | G-force4 4200ti 128MB | W2K SP4 | VS4.3.0
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

As a follow on to my above post about the config file - I've since discovered that a file made under notepad saved as Unicode Big Endian or Unicode will not be read by either setup or VS at all. QUF(?)-8 is readable by setup but not VS. In truth, they will only read a file saved in ANSI format.

Devels - Is it possible to alter this at all in the programming to read a .txt file saved with the other codes? If so, I believe it would help greatly for international keyboard access. Unfortunately I can't check myself until coding allows access to the other formats so I can access international keys.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I'll have to look into how expat works--there's a possibility that it would require a nasty ammt of code tweak--though eventually I want to write the config file reader anyway to not depend on a bunch of really legacy code that's in there for just thhat and .mission files
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

OK, if you could see what can be done - great.

Meanwhile:

I've put together a rewritten set of keybindings, using only the common to all keyboards keys. I'll start putting them up for review/discussion soon.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

OK, here is a proposed variation to the current keybindings. Please note the following:
*I designed with the thought of ergonomics in mind, not relating the letter of a key to the function, or legacy commands from previous games (e.g. no alt+t for targetting).
* Ergonomically, the left hand will usually rest on the four keys next to capslock (asdf). I shifted the right hand to rest on the keypad. Hence, the most commonly used keybindings were reserved for those keys.
*Designed with the view for international keyboards. Basically every key should be accessible on int keyboards in similar positions. This means I restricted use of keys like ,.<>/?;:'"[{]}-_=+\| etc. You can always remap keys to preference though.
*These are untested (haven't had time lately), so some bindings may not work. If this is the case please report so I can revise.

Code: Select all

<!--	COMMUNICATION	-->
	<bind	key="1"	modifier="none"	command="Comm1Key"	/>
	<bind	key="2"	modifier="none"	command="Comm2Key"	/>
	<bind	key="3"	modifier="none"	command="Comm3Key"	/>
	<bind	key="4"	modifier="none"	command="Comm4Key"	/>
	<bind	key="5"	modifier="none"	command="Comm5Key"	/>
	<bind	key="6"	modifier="none"	command="Comm6Key"	/>
	<bind	key="7"	modifier="none"	command="Comm7Key"	/>
	<bind	key="8"	modifier="none"	command="Comm8Key"	/>
	<bind	key="9"	modifier="none"	command="Comm9Key"	/>
	<bind	key="0"	modifier="none"	command="RequestClearenceKey"	/>

<!--	RECORDING TARGETS	-->
	<bind	key="1"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget1"	/>
	<bind	key="2"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget2"	/>
	<bind	key="3"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget3"	/>
	<bind	key="4"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget4"	/>
	<bind	key="5"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget5"	/>
	<bind	key="6"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget6"	/>
	<bind	key="7"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget7"	/>
	<bind	key="8"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget8"	/>
	<bind	key="9"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget9"	/>
	<bind	key="0"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget10"	/>

<bind	key="1"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget1"	/>
	<bind	key="2"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget2"	/>
	<bind	key="3"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget3"	/>
	<bind	key="4"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget4"	/>
	<bind	key="5"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget5"	/>
	<bind	key="6"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget6"	/>
	<bind	key="7"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget7"	/>
	<bind	key="8"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget8"	/>
	<bind	key="9"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget9"	/>
	<bind	key="0"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget10"	/>

<bind	key="esc"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::Quit"	/>

<!--	COMBAT	-->
	<bind	key="x"	modifier="none"	command="ECMKey"	/>
	<bind	key="space"	modifier="none"	command="FireKey"	/>
	<bind	key="c"	modifier="ctrl"	command="CloakKey"	/>
	<bind	key="space"	modifier="ctrl"	command="MissileKey"	/>
	<bind	key="g"	modifier="none"	command="WeapSelKey"	/>
	<bind	key="G"	modifier="none"	command="ReverseWeapSelKey"	/>
	<bind	key="t"	modifier="none"	command="MisSelKey"	/>
	<bind	key="T"	modifier="none"	command="ReverseMisSelKey"	/>
	<bind	key="c"	modifier="none"	command="ToggleAutotracking"	/>

<!--	TARGETING	-->
	<bind	key="w"	modifier="none"	command="TargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="W"	modifier="none"	command="ReverseTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="f"	modifier="none"	command="NearestTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="F"	modifier="none"	command="ReverseNearestTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="d"	modifier="none"	command="SigTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="D"	modifier="none"	command="ReverseSigTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="s"	modifier="none"	command="UnitTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="S"	modifier="none"	command="ReverseUnitTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="q"	modifier="none"	command="PickTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="a"	modifier="none"	command="SubUnitTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="e"	modifier="none"	command="LockTargetKey"	/>

<!--	TURRET CONTROL	-->
	<bind	key="function-1"	modifier="ctrl"	command="TurretControl"	/>
	<bind	key="b"	modifier="none"	command="TurretAIOn"	/>
	<bind	key="B"	modifier="none"	command="TurretAIFireAtWill"	/>
	<bind	key="b"	modifier="ctrl"	command="TurretTargetKey"	/>
	<bind	key="v"	modifier="none"	command="TurretAIOff"	/>

<!--	NAVIGATION	-->
	<bind	key="keypad-8"	modifier="none"	command="UpKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-5"	modifier="none"	command="DownKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-4"	modifier="none"	command="RightKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-6"	modifier="none"	command="LeftKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-7"	modifier="none"	command="RollLeftKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-9"	modifier="none"	command="RollRightKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-1"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustLeft"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-2"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustUp"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-3"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustRight"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-0"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustDown"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-enter"	modifier="none"	command="SheltonKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-8"	modifier="ctrl"	command="ThrustFront"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-5"	modifier="ctrl"	command="ThrustBack"	/>

<!--	VELOCITY	-->
	<bind	key="H"	modifier="none"	command="ToggleWarpDrive"	/>
	<bind	key="h"	modifier="none"	command="ASAP"	/>
	<bind	key="function-12"	modifier="ctrl"	command="SetVelocityRefKey"	/>
	<bind	key="function-12"	modifier="none"	command="SetVelocityNullKey"	/>
	<bind	key="j"	modifier="none"	command="JumpKey"	/>
	<bind	key="y"	modifier="none"	command="SwitchCombatMode"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-minus"	modifier="none"	command="DecelKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-plus"	modifier="none"	command="AccelKey"	/>
	<bind	key="/"	modifier="none"	command="StopKey"	/>
	<bind	key="*"	modifier="none"	command="StartKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-divide"	modifier="none"	command="StopKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-multiply"	modifier="none"	command="StartKey"	/>
	<bind	key="tab"	modifier="none"	command="ABKey"	/>

<!--	WING COMMANDS		-->
	<bind	key="u"	modifier="alt"	command="CommFormUp"	/>
	<bind	key="p"	modifier="alt"	command="CommBreakForm"	/>
	<bind	key="o"	modifier="alt"	command="CommHelpMeOut"	/>
	<bind	key="i"	modifier="alt"	command="CommAttackTarget"	/>

<!--	CAMERA POV		-->
	<bind	key="cursor-up"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::PitchDown"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-down"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::PitchUp"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-left"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::YawLeft"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-right"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::YawRight"	/>
	<bind	key="function-1"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::Inside"	/>
	<bind	key="function-2"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::InsideLeft"	/>
	<bind	key="function-3"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::InsideRight"	/>
	<bind	key="function-4"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::InsideBack"	/>
	<bind	key="function-5"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::Behind"	/>
	<bind	key="function-6"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::Pan"	/>
	<bind	key="function-7"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::OutsideTarget"	/>
	<bind	key="function-8"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::PanTarget"	/>
	<bind	key="function-9"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::ZoomIn"	/>
	<bind	key="function-10"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::ZoomOut"	/>
	<bind	key="function-11"	modifier="none"	command="SwitchControl"	/>

<bind	key="cursor-pagedown"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::ScrollDown"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-pageup"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::ScrollUp"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-home"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SwitchRVDU"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-end"	modifier="ctrl"	command="EjectCargoKey"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-insert"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SwitchLVDU"	/>
	<bind	key="cursor-delete"	modifier="ctrl"	command="EjectNonMissionCargoKey" 	/>

<!--	MISCELLANEOUS	-->
	<bind	key="return"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SkipMusicTrack"	/>
	<bind	key="+"	modifier="none"	command="VolumeInc"	/>
	<bind	key="-"	modifier="none"	command="VolumeDec"	/>
	<bind	key="="	modifier="ctrl"	command="MusicVolumeInc"	/>
	<bind	key="-"	modifier="ctrl"	command="MusicVolumeDec"	/>
	<bind	key="m"	modifier="alt"	command="Screenshot"	/>
	<bind	key="m"	modifier="ctrl"	command="Cockpit::NavScreen"	/>
	<bind	key="l"	modifier="alt"	command="Respawn"	/>
	<bind	key="k"	modifier="none"	command="DockKey"	/>
	<bind	key="l"	modifier="ctrl"	command="SuicideKey"	/>
	<bind	key="L"	modifier="none"	command="EjectKey"	/>
	<bind	key="N"	modifier="none"	command="Enslave"	/>
	<bind	key="n"	modifier="none"	command="FreeSlaves"	/>
	<bind	key="backspace"	modifier="none"	command="PauseKey"	/>

<!--	UNBOUND COMMANDS
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::MapKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="UnDockKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TurretAIKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TimeInc"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TimeDec"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TimeReset"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="DopplerInc"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="DopplerDec"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="SetShieldsOneThird"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="SetShieldsTwoThird"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="ThrustModeKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="JoyStickToggleKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="ToggleGlow"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="ToggleAnimation"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="CommHelpMeOutCrit"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="CommHelpMeOutFaction"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="JoinFlightgroup"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="BlinkLefKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="BlinkRightKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="HeadlightKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="SirenKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TurretPickTargetKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TurretNearestTargetKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="TurretThreatTargetKey"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::ViewTarget"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SwitchMVDU"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SwitchURVDU"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SwitchULVDU"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::SwitchUMVDU"	/>
	<bind key=""	modifier="none"	command="NoPositionalKey"	/>	-->

<!--	#	Netcomm	related	key
	<bind	key="C"	modifier="none"	command="ChangeCommStatus"	/>
	<bind	key="X"	modifier="none"	command="UpFreq"	/>
	<bind	key="V"	modifier="none"	command="DownFreq"	/>
	<bind	key="W"	modifier="none"	command="SwitchWebcam"	/>
	<bind	key="S"	modifier="none"	command="SwitchSecured"	/>	-->	
Posts will follow examining my reasonings for the selections.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<!--	COMMUNICATION	-->
	<bind	key="1"	modifier="none"	command="Comm1Key"	/>
	<bind	key="2"	modifier="none"	command="Comm2Key"	/>
	<bind	key="3"	modifier="none"	command="Comm3Key"	/>
	<bind	key="4"	modifier="none"	command="Comm4Key"	/>
	<bind	key="5"	modifier="none"	command="Comm5Key"	/>
	<bind	key="6"	modifier="none"	command="Comm6Key"	/>
	<bind	key="7"	modifier="none"	command="Comm7Key"	/>
	<bind	key="8"	modifier="none"	command="Comm8Key"	/>
	<bind	key="9"	modifier="none"	command="Comm9Key"	/>
	<bind	key="0"	modifier="none"	command="RequestClearenceKey"	/>

<!--	RECORDING TARGETS	-->
	<bind	key="1"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget1"	/>
	<bind	key="2"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget2"	/>
	<bind	key="3"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget3"	/>
	<bind	key="4"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget4"	/>
	<bind	key="5"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget5"	/>
	<bind	key="6"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget6"	/>
	<bind	key="7"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget7"	/>
	<bind	key="8"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget8"	/>
	<bind	key="9"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget9"	/>
	<bind	key="0"	modifier="alt"	command="SaveTarget10"	/>

<bind	key="1"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget1"	/>
	<bind	key="2"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget2"	/>
	<bind	key="3"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget3"	/>
	<bind	key="4"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget4"	/>
	<bind	key="5"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget5"	/>
	<bind	key="6"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget6"	/>
	<bind	key="7"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget7"	/>
	<bind	key="8"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget8"	/>
	<bind	key="9"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget9"	/>
	<bind	key="0"	modifier="ctrl"	command="RestoreTarget10"	/>

<bind	key="esc"	modifier="none"	command="Cockpit::Quit"	/>
The only change here was moving keys 0 and esc to a different area. Otherwise same as 4.3.
Last edited by Silverain on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<!--	NAVIGATION	-->
	<bind	key="keypad-8"	modifier="none"	command="UpKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-5"	modifier="none"	command="DownKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-4"	modifier="none"	command="RightKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-6"	modifier="none"	command="LeftKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-7"	modifier="none"	command="RollLeftKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-9"	modifier="none"	command="RollRightKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-1"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustLeft"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-2"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustUp"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-3"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustRight"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-0"	modifier="none"	command="ThrustDown"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-enter"	modifier="none"	command="SheltonKey"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-8"	modifier="ctrl"	command="ThrustFront"	/>
	<bind	key="keypad-5"	modifier="ctrl"	command="ThrustBack"	/>
Big changes here. The assumption is the right hand resting on the keypad, and accessing all the keys there. Basic moves to pitch up/down, rotate and roll left/right are six keys together, placed so that fingers can straddle keys to get multiple directional movement. Also included the previously unmapped four thrust keys (your maneuvering thrusters). Note that multi key straddling played a piece here to, and the thumb accesses keypad 0. KP Enter is the shelton slide key (as this must be held down to use) - using the right pinky. Note that lack of keys resulted in thrust front and back being ctrl modified versions of forward and backward thrust - fairly intuitive since they are essentially the same functions.