More pretty stuff: atmospheres and planet surfaces

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
wewewewewe
Hunter
Hunter

Post by wewewewewe »

I hate to tell but I would rather stick with the space flight or just flight only in this game because actually, thats actually more of my dream game than anything else.

Trying to have every single aspects in a single sci-fi game is a bit overrated. People like Derek Smark even tried this.

I like your ideas as long as it's not the part of the vegastrike development.

Just me exploring systems while flying a ship using a joystick is my dream space game.

Post by Guest »

wewewewewe wrote:I hate to tell but I would rather stick with the space flight or just flight only in this game because actually, thats actually more of my dream game than anything else.

Trying to have every single aspects in a single sci-fi game is a bit overrated. People like Derek Smark even tried this.

Just me exploring systems while flying a ship using a joystick is my dream space game.
My dreamgame is total freedom as is many people's here. It should definitly be part of the vegastrike development, there are many many games where you can only explore the universe with a ship. If you wanted to you wouldn't have to get out of your ship.

We can do this so we should not limit ourselves. I think once it is done you too will like the freedom.
Nevita
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nevita »

Anonymous wrote: We can do this so we should not limit ourselves.
That being said, we should keep that in mind as a possibility, but we do need to make sure that the features we have now are well-implemented and bug-free. That way, we're not just getting things to the point where they barely work, and then move on to the next idea. Polish is what makes any game (or any software product, for that matter) stand out.
A quick summary of my graduate research: walk into wall, back up a step, repeat.

Post by Guest »

Nevita wrote:
Anonymous wrote: We can do this so we should not limit ourselves.
That being said, we should keep that in mind as a possibility, but we do need to make sure that the features we have now are well-implemented and bug-free. That way, we're not just getting things to the point where they barely work, and then move on to the next idea. Polish is what makes any game (or any software product, for that matter) stand out.
I agree. First comes planets and spaceflight before walking on the planets etc. Got to take things step by step. Foundations are needed unless you want to build on sand. Something worth doing is worth doing well.
wewewewewe
Hunter
Hunter

Post by wewewewewe »

Anonymous wrote:
wewewewewe wrote:I hate to tell but I would rather stick with the space flight or just flight only in this game because actually, thats actually more of my dream game than anything else.

My dreamgame is total freedom as is many people's here. It should definitly be part of the vegastrike development, there are many many games where you can only explore the universe with a ship. If you wanted to you wouldn't have to get out of your ship.

We can do this so we should not limit ourselves. I think once it is done you too will like the freedom.
Oh yes, it's always needed to have LOTS of ships and people flying around when you are exploring the universe. Like frontier elite.
macross
Explorer
Explorer

Post by macross »

A kind of third person mode might be good for doing cutscenes though. This will be necessary if you want to make a Wing Commander like mod (Rylix?). For Privateer stuff it might be unnecessary...

Point is that this comes almost free if you do a first person mode. However I think walking around whole planets is quite boring, but walking in buildings/ships/stations might be worth the effort.

But let's stick to make VS the best space sim ever and then add this as a feature later on.

cu macross
A fight to death between zombies has some inherent problems.

Post by Guest »

Any screenshots? :D
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

i just want the planets to have a unique shape.

the terrain elevation to match their textures... that's all.

i'd be happy with that.

but i'd also like the ability to fly down to a city and land on it.

as far as a first person shoter type scenarion, it's ok, but i'm not keen on it.

i wouldn't mind a 3d 3rd person on-land chat sort of thing. like in freelancer where you go from place to place on the planet and see other people... have those people be other players. and use a klik-to-go-there interface.

-scheherazade

Post by Guest »

We could have both 3rd and first person, 3rd person as standard but if someone want's to move to fist person view then F1. Can't wait to be flying all around a planet around buildings etc :D (and into the water yay).
Anonymous wrote:i just want the planets to have a unique shape.

the terrain elevation to match their textures... that's all.

i'd be happy with that.

but i'd also like the ability to fly down to a city and land on it.

as far as a first person shoter type scenarion, it's ok, but i'm not keen on it.

i wouldn't mind a 3d 3rd person on-land chat sort of thing. like in freelancer where you go from place to place on the planet and see other people... have those people be other players. and use a klik-to-go-there interface.

-scheherazade
Alaskan
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Alaskan »

For that to be exceptionally cool, we definately need variable geometry wings. Or else!?!?!
/me waves fist
2 133t for joo!!!
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Variable geometry wings, as in animations? That can be done already, we would just need some artists to create ships capable of it. A certain someone who has too many people bugging him already is working on a ship with retractable landing gear which should be a good reference. Replace landing gear up/down with wings retracted/extended and there you go

Unfortunately as I understand it you can't really seperate the two.. if you wanted extendable wings and lowerable landing gear they would both be bound to each other (ie, wheels would go down whenever you extend the wings) From what I understand it is really only possible to have one user triggered animation. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Anonymous@67.***.***.94 wrote:Wrong, We want to get out of the ship and it is simple to program that :)
Wow I didn't realize how trivial it would be to add it! So you'll be doing it then? And we can expect it after, say, a couple days? And I'm sure no one will forget being able to crash your ship into the water ;) it's been mentioned so many times.
Powo

Post by Powo »

well you see, this game is supposed to be a space flight privateer game is what got me interested in this game at the first place. I'm a flight sim jocky.

As long as theres no first person shooter combat in Vegastrike, that would be fine for me.

I would like to see flying on planets as well.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

all i can say, is macross. not the guy... the series :D

-scheherazade
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

as soon as planetary flight is ok, we need to tweak earth with devels/contributors locations
I see dead polygons....

Post by Guest »

scheherazade could you post a screen shot or two of the new code in the wip photo dir?
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

well, the planet code is right now making simple flat-projected spheres in a little GL app that i made to test the code. there is nothing in VS. it's all outside VS. i have dummy classes with the VS names that return known information so later i can just paste it in... but there is nothing to see in vs right now. and nothing to show off other than a plain white sphere that changes detail levels on demand...

-scheherazade
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

i should be clear about stuff, i'm also doing :

working on a fighter model
a model tutorial made with it
gathering info for capship models
making visible upgrade models
making visible missile models
making commodity models
designing a new explosion effect and preparing code for it
fixing up the AI scripts
making a custom computer case
SCHOOL
skating
and seeing my girlfriend :)

my time divides.
among those things i work what i'm motivated to work on at the time.
so for any of those things you can't expect me to make constnat progress.
usually i get a chunk done on stuff at a time, and then work on other crap for a while.

-scheherazade
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

scheherazade,

Would you mind if I add something to the pile?

I'm gathering 128x128 pixel pics of cargo, upgrades, weapons, missles etc for the CoreVS game. Can't extract the files from VS for nuts at the moment. If you happen to be working on those items (say in wings with UV map or somesuch) could I trouble you for a pic of the item? Would be most appreciated.

P.S. Also be interested in your commodity models too...

Actually, this request does go out to the community at large too.

With hope and thanks
Silverain
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

i have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the commodities modelled in 3d.
none have diffuse maps yet.
so there isn't anythign worth rendering. unless you want 1-colour shapes.

-scheherazade
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

I'd like to see one of the shapes to get an idea of what you have (my own curiousity), but put that low down on your list of things to do :) .

I don't know if it would be useful, but maybe this page Cargo Descriptions may help for inspiration. Its a gathering of proposed cargoes and associated pics to be used in the cargo screen.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!

Post by Guest »

Hope we have civillains (of diff types) running around on the planet :P

Hehehe.
Jaxx

Post by Jaxx »

Could you post some screens of the sphere changing detail level as you get closer?

Post by Guest »

Please?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

patience young grasshopper :)

dran, every time I see a new guest post in this post I get really excited thinking scheherazade has posted something new :wink:
Jaxx

Post by Jaxx »

I hope we get goodies for christmas, or some code in CVS :)