[request] no sound in space

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
azrael300
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

[request] no sound in space

Post by azrael300 »

if this was already requested i,ll just point this out.
i did not see this on the list of feature requests on the wiki.

Sound is a waveform made by the compression and expansion of something called a 'medium'. Usually the medium is air. Sound is caused by vibrations passing through the air. The vibrations cause the air to expand and compress in waves from the source of the sound until it hits our eardrums and transmits the vibrations to the drum, into the ear and to the brain where we recognise it as something we call 'sound'. Of course, sound can travel through other media including water (as in echo sounding) or even in solids (try placing your ear to the end of a broomstick held on a vibrating engine - the sound is really amplified as it passes through the stick).

In the vacuum of space, however, there is no air or any other medium, and therefore sound cannot travel. Light can travel through space because light is a waveform that is part of the electromagnetic spectrum (which includes radio waves, microwaves and x rays) and electromagnetic waves do not need a medium in which to travel.

(i could not explain it myself.... thought it was easy but it was not so i coped and pasted the above ^^^^^^ from wiki answers)

that is why i requested to have no sound in space
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: [request] no sound in space

Post by TBeholder »

(gasp) They also communicate vocally. How unscientifical.
(shrug) And that's exactly what happens if you use pediawiki too much.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

a simple way to do this without changing the code would be to mute your sound. That way people that want sound can have it.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

There is a simple explanation for sound in space. Your ship's sensors pick up the energy discharge from missile launches, weapons fire, etc. as well as ships passing in close proximity, and convert this data into sound so as to increase the pilot's situational awareness. That said, a "Real Sound" option so that only your computer, comms, and things striking your vessel makes sound may be nice.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

travists wrote:There is a simple explanation for sound in space. Your ship's sensors pick up the energy discharge from missile launches, weapons fire, etc. as well as ships passing in close proximity, and convert this data into sound so as to increase the pilot's situational awareness. That said, a "Real Sound" option so that only your computer, comms, and things striking your vessel makes sound may be nice.
Yep, and it wouldn't be difficult.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:There is a simple explanation for sound in space. Your ship's sensors pick up the energy discharge from missile launches, weapons fire, etc. as well as ships passing in close proximity, and convert this data into sound so as to increase the pilot's situational awareness.
Next thing you'll say the glass cockpit is misplaced since pilots aren't supposed to observe laser battles with a naked eye. :wink:
travists wrote: That said, a "Real Sound" option so that only your computer, comms, and things striking your vessel makes sound may be nice.
I don't see toggling this as such to be important, other than as performance saver. Now, making these channels more tweakable definitely wouldn't hurt. Such as more control over maximum sound event range / falloff / volume, for one (currently there's only cutoff distance). With controls improvements eventually turned runtime, because there's no reason not to do it.
klauss wrote:Yep, and it wouldn't be difficult.
It's already implemented, albeit with a few imperfections. There's alreay "audio/ai_sound", "audio/max_range_to_hear_weapon_fire" and so on.
Or, unitaudio/player_armor_hit vs. unitaudio/armor (it will fall back to defaults since units.csv currently doesn't have custom sounds - not that it was a good thing).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I meant an option in vssetup for doing all the required config changes.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

TBeholder wrote:I don't see toggling this as such to be important, other than as performance saver. Now, making these channels more tweakable definitely wouldn't hurt. Such as more control over maximum sound event range / falloff / volume, for one (currently there's only cutoff distance). With controls improvements eventually turned runtime, because there's no reason not to do it.
It is a "realism" option, for those like azrael300 who object to sound in space.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

So, vssetup should present 3 settings:

Absolute realism (see azrael300)
Enhanced reality (realism plus cockpit alerts for situational awareness)
Eff realism, can I haz teh booms? :mrgreen:
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Most cockpit alerts would be present in absolute realism (It is pressurized is it not?), else just turn the sound off. It is the weapons fire, booms etc that get added with the SASS (Situational Awareness Sound System).
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Well yes, jokes apart, what I was calling alerts would not just be classical alarms like missile lock you'd find on current fighters, but the synthetic booms as well; I called it Enhanced reality, but your naming is definitely more... SASSy :D
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

So you have:
No sound
Real sounds
SASS -Player only
SASS -All

I don't recall where, but it was discussed at one point to have the sound set vary based on your sensor model. If SASS is listed, this would almost be needed. Just imagine: low end sensors gun fire sounds like an '80s toy ray gun! :lol:
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Lethally dangerous! Who'd ever feel threatened by a weapon that goes "pew pew" ? :D
(Combat soundtrack by "Evasive Manoeuvres in the Dark" :mrgreen: )
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Check the PC speaker sound days. "pew pew" is every bit as menacing as "zzZZVAHWHHOSH!!" Just because your system lacks fancy sound don't assume that the weapon fired sound is not a threat. Now if the player fails to read his sensors manual... :twisted:
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:So you have:
No sound
Real sounds
SASS -Player only
SASS -All
I thought more like 0x / 0.5x / 1x / 1.5x of basic gain for external event sounds.
travists wrote:I don't recall where, but it was discussed at one point to have the sound set vary based on your sensor model. If SASS is listed, this would almost be needed.
Maybe this needs maximum range dependent on the sensitivity (multipliers may be confvar, of course), not the fixed one...
travists wrote: Just imagine: low end sensors gun fire sounds like an '80s toy ray gun! :lol:
Well, if you remember their chat tree... Never, ever, trust a Rlaan to make human interfaces. :P
CLoneWolf wrote:Lethally dangerous! Who'd ever feel threatened by a weapon that goes "pew pew" ? :D
Star Control 2.
CLoneWolf wrote:(Combat soundtrack by "Evasive Manoeuvres in the Dark" :mrgreen: )
What's this? Never heard of it.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

TBeholder wrote:
CLoneWolf wrote:(Combat soundtrack by "Evasive Manoeuvres in the Dark" :mrgreen: )
What's this? Never heard of it.
Heh, it was just an adaptation of the 80's "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" a.k.a OMD ;)
nayam
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by nayam »

Interesting thread!! It is really wonderful to know about sound in space.
Folgore_202
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Folgore_202 »

Nah, having no sound in space would be realistic, but it's more, MUCH more convenient to have it... It helps situational awareness a lot. Plus, as it's been said by travists, there can be sensors translating data coming from around the ship (blastwaves, heat emissions etc) into sound.

[edit] aaaand I'm a retard, I was tricked by a totally-not-spam account to post in a 2012 thread. Sorry :|
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

How about that inadvertent necromancy no problem but if you listen carefully to cockpit sound stream almost all are ship interior sounds.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2