Radar technologies

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Radar technologies

Post by breese »

The current batch of sensors all use the WC radar. Given that the different species have different technologies, and that this is reflected in the choice of weaponry, it may be a good idea to have different kinds of radars as well.

I have done some experimentation on this, and with my recently posted radar patch it is quite easy to create new kinds of radars. So I suggest the following kinds (the percentage shows how much I have done)

Confed radar: The current WC radar. Spheric type. 100% done. My earlier patch made some extensions to this radar (such as showing the object size), but I suggest that these be moved to the Rlaan radar.

Highborn radar: The Elite radar. Cartesian type. 90% done.

Rlaan radar: A "bubblish" radar. Spheric type. 80% done.

Aera radar: Still undecided. 0% done.

In addition to these radars, it should be possible to buy a shady mechanics upgrade for threat assessment.

The different radars should differ in how they display blips and threat assessment, and how they react to damage, nebula, and ECM.

One final comment: If I am to stay motivated to make the above additions (or any other contributions to VS for that matter), I would like a more speedily reaction to my patches, or perhaps write access to SVN. Currently it is a major hassle to maintain my patches and making sure that they work with other changes committed to SVN.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Radar technologies

Post by klauss »

Sorry for my delay in reviewing your patches. I've been with connectivity issues at home (where I do VS development), which I've only just resolved yesterday.

So I'll get back to reviewing them (and eventually committing them) shortly.

By all means go on improving the radar, but you should perhaps take a few moments to design (on paper or whatever way you want) the many aspects, as style, capabilities, their effect on gameplay, etc.

I like your "object size" patch a lot, so I'd like to get that committed into the engine. As for the rest... will have to review it, remember VS has to serve a couple of mods with very different requirements each.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe