VegaStrike race?

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

VegaStrike race?

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

I was wondering if its possible to do races in vega strike. I imagine it could be set up as a race, where you have to get with in a certain distance of a object before you can move to another check point. Maybe fly through gates (docking squares have to be flown into...) ala air race style. It would be neat for online but also to make money. It could be seperated by ship size maybe or something along the lines
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: VegaStrike race?

Post by CLoneWolf »

Something like what was discussed here? :wink:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Possible it would be, done it is not.

Yoda aside, it has been discussed, and it is indeed possible, it would have to be scripted in python, and quite a bit of scripting indeed. So it's a lot of work for rather limited gameplay value (races are icing on the cake - for that we first need a cake I'd say).

That is not to say that if a volunteer came with a workable patch it would be rejected, on the contrary, but most people don't realize just how much work is involved (or what type of work).

So lets list it:
  • Buoys and other prop units should be created. That's art.
  • A "racer AI" should be implemented, if it were to be a competitive race (not just against time). That's probably doable with the AI XML files, but it might require custom engine-level code (that would be C++). Clock-only races would be free from this.
  • A race mission script coded. It would be a director script, much like those found in data/modules/missions. The script would be responsible of:
    • Spawning prop units on arrival to the site.
    • Spawning the "race arbiter" unit, ie, someone to do the "1, 2, 3, go!"
    • Spawning viewers. A race without viewers isn't really fun.
    • Marking each checkpoint as you "touch" it.
    • Timing you
    • Choosing the winner when you touch the finish line
    • Handling cheating
    • Handling bailouts
    • Handling hazards - that is, adding hazardous units along the way, if appropriate, or preventing hazards during the race, if appropriate.
  • Anything I'm forgetting
If it seems like much it is because it is much.

I myself consider things like a proper campaign and story arc far more valuable than races, so I'd focus on that first. But again, newer mission types, even if just a race, are quite valuable. In fact it could be a build block for the campaign. So it's more like a gray area.

PS: And lets remark this important point chuck made:
chuck_starchaser wrote:And you're still left with the problem of races being won mostly by technology, not skills...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Having a battle arena with spectators like in Tachyon: The Fringe might be fun too.

But again, there are higher priority things.