Troop Transports and Ground Combat

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Benjamin385
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Troop Transports and Ground Combat

Post by Benjamin385 »

Ok, this is just a thought i had a while back for a game of mine...
So i am passing it on to you guys.

Ok, Troop Transports (Obviously transport troops) but cannot go into the planetary atmosphere. When orbiting a planet they can deploy troops to "hot Spots" on the planet. Where the fighting is very intense.

Now here comes a thought for ground combat. When a Troop transport begins orbit of a planet it can either begin a invasion (if an Invasion is not already in process), Re-enforce Troop Positions (if friendly or allied troops are on the planet), or Attack enemy positions (this will allow Players from the troop transport to deploy to the surface and respawn).

Ground Combat

When Deployed to the surface the troops are not seamlessly attacking the planet. But they can get support from the Troop transports and get support assets (Tanks, Gun ships, Supplies, etc)
Troops can destroy or capture the enemy positions and capture strategic points (Bunkers, Refineries, Command Centers, population centers, etc)

Battles for population centers will be harder to capture due to there size and possible resistance from the local population.

But anyway I would like to see this especially small scale and large scale battles.
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Troop Transports and Ground Combat

Post by Gungnir »

That sounds good, but it would require a ridiculous amount of work; you would have to practically make a separate game, then incorporate it into the engine. Also, the calculations would probably be too much for many CPUs, and load times would doubled...

It might be a good long-term goal, as by the time it's incorporated, hardware will be able to handle it.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Troop Transports and Ground Combat

Post by strook »

ground combat would be fine, im on planet generation right now.
although i dont know how you want to handle ground units right now,
maybe a tactical interface, implemented by seamlessy zooming to the surface
would do.

dont mind me if i reuse much artwork from other games, otherwise it would
take very long to realize it.

another advantage will be diving with your ship through water.
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed