bernard's star

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Errol_Summerlin
Merchant
Merchant

bernard's star

Post by Errol_Summerlin »

If this star is 6 light years from earth, it is probably supposed to be Barnard's star. Barnard was the last name of the guy who discovered it. Minor quibble, but I am not sure where to put minor quibbles. This isn't a feature request..nor is it a bug...Besides, having the real names for the stars and planets that reflect current star maps and exoplanet survey results adds something to the game. It is like exploring our own universe..giving the game educational potential as well...oh and fulfilling my life long dream which will sadly not be realized in my life time :( unless this cryogenic freezing procedure works :P

Anyway, I apologize for clogging this forum with a typo fix, but you need a typo fix/fact checker board on here somewhere.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: bernard's star

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I totally agree. There are gazillions of typos I've noticed, in star names, in dialogues, and everywhere; and that's shameful.

But definitely, if you want the job of updating the scripted (non-randomly generated) parts of the galaxy, you got it.
I don't think we have even 1% of known stars in Sol's neigborhood reflected in the game.
Speaking of education, where's Eridani? That's where Spok was from. There should be a planet named Vulcan there :D

Frankly, I think we could use elliptical orbits (non-simulated, but elliptical); like I think I remember reading Eridani has a gas giant with a very elliptical orbit that makes earth-like planets there very unlikely.
OTOH, who's going to stay around one system long enough to see if orbits are circular or elliptic?
Bah, never mind.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

IIRC, the milky_way.xml was imported from a real star catalogue.

I'm not sure what was imported and what was made up, though. The connections most likely were made up, so even if they're physically nearby, the systems may be far apart in the jump system.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Speaking of education, where's Eridani? That's where Spok was from. There should be a planet named Vulcan there :D
Eridanus is a faint constellation close to the celestial equator. Some pretty interesting things going on there, astronomically speaking.
Frankly, I think we could use elliptical orbits (non-simulated, but elliptical); like I think I remember reading Eridani has a gas giant with a very elliptical orbit that makes earth-like planets there very unlikely.
OTOH, who's going to stay around one system long enough to see if orbits are circular or elliptic?
Bah, never mind.
I might. I'm a sucker for realism.

Question for extra credit: Which (series of) video games featured a prominent star in Eridanus as the seat of the Galactic Emperor? :)
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.