Feature Request "Walkable ship interior"

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Pirx
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Feature Request "Walkable ship interior"

Post by Pirx »

Wiki Feature Request "Walkable ship interior"
In a perfect implementation this might be like this:

You are able to detach from your pilots seat by a hotkey. You suddenly find yourself in a FPS like environment standing next to your pilot seat. Now you can walk around and explore the ship.

Every ship has it's own interior. A small fighter probably has no more than an engineering panel behind the pilots seat, and a small living area with a bunk, small galley and most likely a plumbing unit. An airlock which might be functional if you have landed on a planet? (see "walkable planets and bases")

If the vessel becomes bigger and bigger, there is obviously more and more to explore. Living room for a small crew, sick bay, hallways to different sections like engineering, hangar bays, gun turrets, cryo chambers, prison, elevators to other levels and huge cargo compartments. For bigger ships the pilots seat might be placed at a bridge containing big screens displaying data about the ship and the environment. They could seriously help to make strategic descisions.

It's important that the interior fits to the exterior appearance of the ship, it has to be believable. This would greatly add to the perception of the size and type of your ship.

You can go to damaged sections and repair them. You could visit captured pilots in the prison and talk to them, they might have important information. You could fight intruders. You could go to your hangar bay and select one of your small vessels for a quick interception while your ship remains where it is.
This might be easy to implement after the Feature "Walkable 3D Bases" is added. Technically seen the ships interior is quite similar to a base.

Regards, Pirx
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Feature Request "Walkable ship interior"

Post by JsnMtth »

What intrigues me about it is the complexity of observing a pilot while he is in combat; rendering the "interior" of the ship at the same time as rendering the exterior of the ship viewable from the viewport/viewscreen/cockpit. I suppose the same thing applies to bases, but nobody would notice if they were stationary.
jasonkarllees
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jasonkarllees »

there is an Ogre version going on so it is possible :D
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Hellcatv and ace123 work current on sirikata project that become the base for the next version of vega strike.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

www2 wrote:Hellcatv and ace123 work current on sirikata project that become the base for the next version of vega strike.
Yeah and looking at the Sirikata demo vid, it looks to my untrained eye like interiors are now very possible.
GlasShadow
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by GlasShadow »

although im new to this game that would be a cool feature, id equate it to the virtual cockpits in Microsoft combat flight sim 3, as i have some experience making planes for that game, how that is done tho its not a walkable interior but u can change to various seats such as bomber, pilot, gunners etc. in that game they use two versions of the cockpits one from the outside, obviously less polys and then one from the interior. I would add that this would complicate the modeling/designing process for the ships quite a bit, but if it works well from a performance standpoint id think it would be well worth it.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hi GlasShaddow and welcome
You have some concept draw but not yet modelized
Have a look to Gallery as the Gallahad :
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... fullsize=1
for the poly count budget i gues is between 15000 and 20000 polys
Or a ULN resupply ship:SQUIRE
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 60#p113149
Polys can reach 30000

Any question don't hesitate to PM me or Email

Thanks and Welcome again
Breakable
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Breakable »

This seems like yet another superfeature. It would not be easy to implement, of course it might be a somewhat easier if some sort of 3d framework is used (such as Ogre or sirikata).
Of course it would be really nice if it would be implemented as a unified framework (and not as separate mode) and in case a weapon hits your vessel or it is damaged you can see the impact inside. It could also enable a lot of features such as disabling a ship using a precise shot to a specific component. I hope I can live another 20 years to see it :D
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Albert Einstein