Capital Ships

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
DeathJesterUK
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Capital Ships

Post by DeathJesterUK »

Im not just talking about a fighter with Turrets, I man proper, full on capital ships. Frigates up. You could implement a rank or prestige system in order for the game to limit what ships the player can get...IE to get a battleship you need to be say...a Captain. This would then lead to full on fleets etc. It would require new HUD elements. Infact, it would require that a bridge be made and all navigation be done through navpoints, all ship systems would be accessed from the bridge, view screen, tactical, engineering, etc. And, you could give these ships a crew to manage too.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Capital Ships

Post by Fendorin »

interressant!
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Well, the idea is interesting, I dunno if it has been said before, but...

in Vega Strike Universe, capships are restricted almost exclusively to military. To get one, player would have to become fulltime member of military, and with that, all you could do is to fly missions. You'd have to script special both enough random and hardcoded (story) missions to keep player interest.
Another possibility would be "homemade" conversions of civilan huge ships like Clydesdale or Ox...possibly the only thing you'd need for that are money, and maybe a "reputation" with certain fraction to convert your ship to that and hire crew.
And about bridge...well, if I get it right, what you mean is that even when piloting Clydesdale or Ox (two biggest player available ship I think), you don't get the feeling of piloting a capship because you have to do everything yourself. Well...does anyone here remember ST:Bridge Commander? You had just that kind of control of your ship in it, issuing orders, telling helm what maneuvers to use, etc...you did not have to touch manual control at all, but there was the option of manual control. And you know what? I ended using that all the time. I just don't think that in battle, people would stick to such control, because it happens to be less effective than old good manual.
DeathJesterUK

Post by DeathJesterUK »

It doesnt have to be something that you FORCE onto players. You just have the option there to fly capital ships, either in the military of your choosing or a juggernaught of mixed parts from other ships to make a capital ship. And as to the control, well, whatever. I would personally make it impossible for a player to take manual control and make them use the crew to pilot the ship...as it should be. Requires a new set of skill and strategies.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

could you help for code/write this improvement??
DeathJesterUK

Post by DeathJesterUK »

I wish that I could. Im not a coder, or an modeller or artist.