Unified slot system

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Unified slot system

Post by TBeholder »

At least between weapons and other equipment, if not with subunits. This would allow more control than just "N upgrades of subtree S".
Right now it would enable at least better handling of thrusters and more elaborate ship equipment handling and wider variety of ship properties.
In the future it would allow things like handling of equipment hits depending on the place hit, better armor handling, things like antennae, placing thruster fires in proper places, up to having killed thrusters dim.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Unified slot system

Post by loki1950 »

The whole upgrade system is data side Python to accommodate the various mods but it will need close attention in the near future as the current code was written pre version 2.5 of Python there are already several Python errors because of this just have a look at stdout/err most aren't fatal but it sure clutters the logs making bug stomping much harder ATM :twisted:So any Python hackers willing to take it on would be welcome IMHO.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Turbo Beholder wrote: In the future it would allow things like handling of equipment hits depending on the place hit. . .
I was thinking of proposing that things like engines, weapons, sensors, etc., be tied directly to fully modeled sub-units on ships, and the sub-units could be destroyed separately.

The only reason I haven't already brought this up though is because such heavy use of sub-units puts some limits on how artists can define smooth areas for how their models are shaded and lit in the game. Might stand out especially for the Aera with their highly integrated style of design.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Deus Siddis wrote:I was thinking of proposing that things like engines, weapons, sensors, etc., be tied directly to fully modeled sub-units on ships, and the sub-units could be destroyed separately.
Yes, it's fairly obvious approach, as it would imitate sane weapon control system, allow to stick scripts to upgrades (subunit AI)... here was "replace autotracking mounts with autotracking subunits" proposal already. Problem is in engine: subunits are not handled well right now. Look at your ship with turrets, hit "SPEC", wince. And that's the least of all troubles.
Deus Siddis wrote: The only reason I haven't already brought this up though is because such heavy use of sub-units puts some limits on how artists can define smooth areas for how their models are shaded and lit in the game. Might stand out especially for the Aera with their highly integrated style of design.
Subunits are placed to pre-defined spots. Big deal, now there are turrets, and later there will be antennae as well. Also, subunits' size and look are just as arbitrary as ships'. E.g.: Franklin's Pd with only barrels sticking out.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter