Mining

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
SCghst1
Merchant
Merchant

Mining

Post by SCghst1 »

Hey everyone. This has probably been said before but i think it would be awesome to be able to mine an asteroid or a moon. it could use (possibly) the same system as the tractor beam. Buy a mining laser, and then aim it at an asteroid and then slowly you pull whatever is in that asteroid to your ship into your cargo hold. What do ya think?
~VS Forever~
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Mining

Post by loki1950 »

It has been requested and it would indeed provide an other source of income for the player.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

a better mining perspective would be to either 1. have the ship orbit an asteroid, while a small vehicle lands and mines, and then launches back to the main ship; 2. the main ship lands on the asteroid and a mining vehicle mines the asteroid and then comes back to the main ship (starflight anyone?); or 3. the ship lands and mines. I personally prefer the starflight alternative :D
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
SCghst1
Merchant
Merchant

Post by SCghst1 »

That would be very far off maybe version 1.0 or later i was just speculating for the present:)
~VS Forever~
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

we have to think the future :wink: I think this engine has the potential to do all of my previous proposals :twisted:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
SCghst1
Merchant
Merchant

Post by SCghst1 »

You think so? i havent read most of your stuff since i come and go around here but i have to disagree that the same engine could do interplanetary flight and landing straight on the planet as it is right now
~VS Forever~
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

For an immediate source of mining, destroying asteroids and then tractoring in the rich ore debri should be really easy to do, because this is how the game already works with ships- you destroy them and their cargo blows out everywhere for you to harvest. And after looking through units.csv I saw that there is already data in place for just this kind of feature.

I assume the reason it isn't actually working in game though is because none of the coding developers have gotten to updating the asteroids model in a good long time. This seems unfortunate since asteroids are the only naturally occuring things in space you can actually interact with and that give a sense of scale and speed. Asteroid mining and asteroid field navigation and combat would add alot more depth to the VS engine. Hopefully someone with the necessary skills will look into it in the near future.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I believe it should be possible to destroy individual asteroids, assuming that they are represented by subunits. Then, you could give each of those subunits a "Ore" cargo, and with a tractor beam you can bring in the cargo.

The only weird thing is that cargo is normally in the yellow striped crates so that wouldn't make sense for one of those to come out of an asteroid.

It might be possible to display an alternative mesh instead of a crate--such as a smaller scale asteroid or something like that.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

ace123 wrote:I believe it should be possible to destroy individual asteroids, assuming that they are represented by subunits. Then, you could give each of those subunits a "Ore" cargo, and with a tractor beam you can bring in the cargo.
Yeah, that is exactly what I meant.
The only weird thing is that cargo is normally in the yellow striped crates so that wouldn't make sense for one of those to come out of an asteroid.
It might be possible to display an alternative mesh instead of a crate--such as a smaller scale asteroid or something like that.
Well it is also weird that those same yellow striped crates fly out of the hulls of Aera and Rlaan ships as well as Human vessels, so making the 3D cargo system more flexible as to what models it can use when removed from different categories of units, would be a good feature to have anyway, methinks.

So is the main hurdle for this that there isn't anyone who has the time to make this happen on the code side, or are you folks just waiting for someone to provide the 3D content to represent ore and such?
SCghst1
Merchant
Merchant

Post by SCghst1 »

Dues, thats exactly what i meant :). I knew it was already implemented and i think thats what should happen by atleast 0.6.5
~VS Forever~
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

SCghst1 wrote:You think so? i havent read most of your stuff since i come and go around here but i have to disagree that the same engine could do interplanetary flight and landing straight on the planet as it is right now
Well maybe not right now, but the future with Ogre sounds promising.
SCghst1
Merchant
Merchant

Post by SCghst1 »

Definitely :)
~VS Forever~