XNA Port

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
tbcpp
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

XNA Port

Post by tbcpp »

I'm looking at some point trying to get into the gaming industry. So I recently began work on an XNA based Xbox 360 game. However, I'm a programmer, not an artist. Then I got thinking, why not port VegaStrike to the 360. I could write the engine from scratch, yet still retain the art assets.

However, I have a few questions. First of all, the engine is GPL. Now I'm happy making my enigne GPL, but at some point I'd like to make this an XBox Live Arcade game, and doing that with GPL may not be possible. On the other hand, I'm rewriting the entire game in C#, so would this be an issue? If I use the C/C++ code for "inspiration" will that make my code GPL?

Just some questions.
tbcpp
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Re: XNA Port

Post by tbcpp »

Hmm...from what I'm seeing it looks like the art is GPL....but from what I'm seeing on this page: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html I could sell my engine on XBLA even if it is GPL as long as I provide a link to the source code. GPL it is then!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: XNA Port

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard tbcpp you may have also noticed that there's lots of Python data side which may complicate your conversion :wink: But since the C# VM supports Python's byte code you may get some performance boost.But it's a big project for one guy so i wish you luck and hope that you attract a few helpers 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2