direct interplanetary journey

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

direct interplanetary journey

Post by dagg »

hello. has part of my involvement in vegatrek, we need to match the interplanetary journey to the star trek model, already addressed the warp issue, now I'm addressing the actual journey.

testing the vegastrike 0.5 interplanetary journey reveals the engine plots a route depending on the nearby systems what causes unneeded voyages to unrelated systems and every arrival to system results in an instant speed drops, when the max speed is 1C thats ok, but when you get to warp 2 (equivalent of speed of about ~10C) or even warp of 9.9997 (equivalent of speed of about ~199515.91C) it's very problematic.
I guess that direct interplanetary journey is not possible in the game currenty (didn't tried the svn version), so my question is, is it possible to add this feature to future release of the game?
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: direct interplanetary journey

Post by MC707 »

maybe I'm wrong, but do you mean traveling through a planet's atmosphere? If thats what you are asking, that is going to be implemented first in VS with Ogre (hopefully it will :) )
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

I think he means interstellar travel, and that it isn't seamless.
What they could do is to put everything into one system.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

He very much means interstellar Jump points are not part of the Star Trek canon :wink: And if i remember where use very rarely as plot devices as Worm holes a different kettle of fish entirely.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

right, imagine this, I want to get from a to b, using direct interstellar travel I can achieve it, but using the current engine I have to get to point c first, the problem is that point c is hostile... which will get me killed... now I can see how it can be done, but I'm not a vs developer, I don't want to fork vt...
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

I think that inorder to get it to work, a travel based on coordinates should be added to the already existing traveling system.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

I think I've got a workaround without a need to change the engine or minor.
every system configuration has a list of nearby star systems.
now if vs supports different distances in that list then it is all set, I'll try to explain using an example:
let say I am at Sol and I have a few nearby systems each have different distance from sol, in the current vs engine, will these distances show up? if I add a system to that list which is across the galaxy? I'll be able ti fly the in one jump but will I see it's distance differently then the others?

if not, it is a small code to modify in the engine.
any thoughts?
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

just tried that and ended up in a different system without the ability to fly to any other systems (list was empty) and when I've hitted the shift + m to see the onboard computer and selected nav computer I've got the nav computer window with error written at the top left end and no buttons to click.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

For a while that feature was the main way of traveling between systems. Not sure why it would have broken.

For the warp bug, does it act like you turned warp off and back on (if you hit the key twice), and then start accelerating again?
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

hey ace, thanks for the answer.
yes, the minute I've get to a system, the speed drops and I need to rehit the key
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Interesting, so the warp drive physically turns off upon arrival. Then it may mean that some code is intentionally disabling warp upon entering a system.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

ace123 wrote:For a while that feature was the main way of traveling between systems. Not sure why it would have broken.

For the warp bug, does it act like you turned warp off and back on (if you hit the key twice), and then start accelerating again?
actually, for now, I'm interested in making the ship go where I've selected in one jump and not take the long route.
the relevant file is unit_generic.cpp, how if I'll offer a fix that enables it depending on a settings in the vegastrike option file, will it be inserted into the game?