Docks (and Scoop)

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Docks (and Scoop)

Post by TBeholder »

1. Check dock sizes. No, really*...
    If ship cannot fit in, AI should not even try this dock. In case of PC ships, only proper docks should be made visible.
    At this stage here's only generic "size" for dock and cargo size for ship, just compare latter with some sensible* function of former... And free hold volume (for internal docks), of course.
    * I.e. Ox should never try to "dock" through interceptor garage pod of fighter barrack or inner dock of medical station. I could illustrate this point with handful of rather ridiculous screenshots, but i have vague suspicion that you all saw it more times than you wanted. ;)
  2. Scoop via dock.
    On all ships of decent size place one of those "SPECIAL" mounts behind main dock, so tractor beam could be installed here.
    Forced scoop happens when target enters dock area and is moved by tractor beam. And use the same check function as (1), instead of separate enigmatic mesh measurements. ;)
  3. Eject cargo via dock.
  4. Docks! More docks!
    There's no reason why even Shroedinger should not have dock, though only good for small cargo containers and lesser drones.
    That is, if dock sizes are really checked and Ox will not try to dock here. ;)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I've no idea how docks are coded; but if they are a class, as they should be, a simple private method bool check_it_fits(ship const & it) should do it.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

because of deficiencies in the AI code it can't dock you may see AI controlled ships go through stations if there velocity is to great for capture.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I've no idea how docks are coded; but if they are a class, as they should be
Hahaha*... you gave me a real laugh.

* Because VS always follows good OOP guidelines... right...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Alright, let me guess: ports are probably instances of "unit" and there's a "port flag" that identifies them as ports.
:o
Or is it even worse? :roll:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

And that's where they are defined as well location and size 8) all part of a units stats you really must have a close look at units.csv :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

"It's not what you think... it's much, Much worse"

I don't know the code myself, but just judging by how docking appears to work and the topics that have talked about docking issues on stations and large ships... it's probably worse... they're probably just co-ordinates on the mesh and docking is a matter of proximity to that point when requesting to dock.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

it's probably worse... they're probably just co-ordinates on the mesh and docking is a matter of proximity to that point when requesting to dock.
Yeap that's exactly what happens and if those co-ords are inside the mesh good luck docking i've fixed a few stations with that problem :shock: the Factory model my first.

Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

you know.. it just struck me..

docking objects..

you need like 3 objects.. for 3 different styles of docks..

so you got a ship? well stick a 'dock' on it as something like a turrets done.. subobject..

for stations its easier... just put a second object in space there, lodged inside the station (no collision detection or anything here)

could even automate it.. but anyhow.. <.< an object you can place would.. to me.. seem easier than other ideas.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I've had some very cool ideas on how to handle docks a while ago. But writing the software to produce the required anciliary data (navigation graphs) isn't as easy, but I'd gladly do it if writing an AI that will utilizes it wasn't outside my domain (I never could understand AI code).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Couldn't be that difficult to write AI code from scratch. Probably much easier than try to understand the existing code. Maybe we can work on that after CineMut.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

thats something I would be interested in pitching in on... would get my feet wet a little before I start writing my own AI :P
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Docks (and Scoop)

Post by TBeholder »

Also, if docks were just normal explicit sub-units (with some flag), auto-docking would be a bit easier to implement: sub-units have direction vector. Then once you placed dock so it points into free space, docking ship would just arrive at some point along that vector, then turn and move in, and unlikely to ram anything in process.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter