How to imply size a disscustion on scale

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

chuck_starchaser wrote:
Ares wrote:It shouldn't be quite as hard to display scale though with aeran ships at the very least, the wiki states they don't use windows. Makes things a little easier.
I abstain from replying, lest I be lynched by an enraged mob of pacifists.
I don't know, I for one am curious. Provided it's not a flame-ish statement...

How do you easily tell scale on Aeran ships? I've seen some stuff that looked tiny at range compared to my llama, got closer and saw a much larger vehicle. Just curious.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Short answer: You can't.
And to make matters worse, accelerations of fighters in VS are absurd, like 40 G's. I mean, electronics for military equipment have to withstand 20 G shock, which is rather astronomical; and here we have *vehicles* that can accelerate at 40G's. Such acceleration as would take you across Manhattan in a few seconds from a dead stop. We can hardly imagine 1G and our minds can't accept a 40G experience, except maybe just at an intellectual level. If you're next to a 5km ship, hit the gas and in 2 seconds you're past the other end, your mind just assumes the ship is maybe 100 meters long. You just can't possibly convince the lower echelons of your brain that you've crossed a whopping 5 kilometers in a couple of seconds. It's a mental exercise that's simply not doable.
On top of that, you can hit a Clydesdale at speeds that, if you consider the size of the ship, you're going at Mack something; and you just bounce off. I mean, how can you possibly believe the size? When I first played Vegastrike I acutally believed that most ships were the size of coffee tables, and I asked at the forum why were all ships so small.
Telling the scales of ships is the biggest problem in VS, and I offered a comprehensive plan to address the problem, but I got nowhere with it. That's the primary reason, in fact, that I'm not involved with VS; only with PU. This is the one aspect of VS that I find completely unacceptable.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Short answer: You can't.
And to make matters worse, accelerations of fighters in VS are absurd, like 40 G's. I mean, electronics for military equipment have to withstand 20 G shock, which is rather astronomical; and here we have *vehicles* that can accelerate at 40G's. Such acceleration as would take you across Manhattan in a few seconds. We can hardly imagine 1G and our minds can't accept a 40G experience, except maybe just at an intellectual level. If you're next to a 5km ship, hit the gas and in 2 seconds you're past the other end, your mind just assumes the ship is maybe 100 meters long.
Alright. I was assuming when you said lynch mob`d that the post might not be quite so reasonable, but I can definitely see where you're coming from in regards to scale. Then again, at least they don't have accel rates like the ships from the Honor Harrington books... 720 gravities at military steam would really just be kind of overdone in this scenario.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hahaha, well, in a book or a movie you can do anything you want; but in a simulation game, doing things that are too unrealistic and/or too far beyond our human experience is very dangerous. By the way, I was still editing my last post (a bad habit I can't seem to get out of) and added a few other things; might want to check it out.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Hahaha, well, in a book or a movie you can do anything you want; but in a simulation game, doing things that are too unrealistic and/or too far beyond our human experience is very dangerous. By the way, I was still editing my post and added a few other things; might want to check it out.
Thanks for the heads up. I just read through it. The 'simplest' (I'm not sure about the code, but usually it's considered relatively simple compared to everything else) would be a readout on your targeting display that lists the size of the vehicle you've got targeted...

I can definitely see how it would vastly bug the system to have V listed that high, I just pointed it out as one of those "it could be worse" bits. I posted my relevant ideas in the features section, I honestly haven't been able to figure out anything else I'd like to see floating around that isn't just ai patching and things like that...

Ship design has always been one of those things I've loved to play with, but I've always included rough scales and easily recognized features to make scale a bit more easily guessed. Call it the lazy way out, if you will.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

My standpoint has been, and continues to be, that visuals are 10% of it, and physics 90%. In fact, one of my long dreams is to find the time to come up with a real good model for a large ship for VS, half a million polies, and not by smoothing but by greebling. Something that JackS cannot possibly deny it "looks its size", just so that he will see that it makes little difference. IMO, in VS such a ship will look like an exquisitly detailed, 50 meter long plastic toy floating in space; --***because*** of the unfathomable accelerations you're capable of.
So the problem is multi-faceted and needs a multi-pronged solution:
  • Increase the detail of ships; and bring back windows.
  • Reduce the sizes of ships to scales we grasp, like 100 meters, 300 meters, 1 kilometer occasionally.
  • Reduce accelerations to like 0.2 G's for large ships, 1 G for small civilian ships, maybe 1.5 G's for military fighters.
IMO, visuals alone won't do the trick.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

chuck_starchaser wrote:My standpoint has been, and continues to be, that visuals are 10% of it, and physics 90%. In fact, one of my long dreams is to find the time to come up with a real good model for a large ship for VS, half a million polies, and not by smoothing but by greebling. Something that JackS cannot possibly deny it "looks its size", just so that he will see that it makes little difference. IMO, in VS such a ship will look like an exquisitly detailed plastic toy floating in space; because of the accelerations.
Better make it nice and huge, I need a new cap to play with. :P

Seriously though, I kinda wish I knew what ya meant by greebling. Like I said in one of the edits here (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=11982), I've played with some of the free 3d modeling tools, but never really managed to get very good at it or even learn most of the terms.

Sorry, Ares, didn't mean to hijack your thread...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Greebling is just adding details that look technical and believable. For movies it is easy, because when you see a battle in space in a movie you see half-second scenes; so they just use random generators that blanket the models with little boxes, like "discombobulator".
http://www.nccn.net/~w_rosky/evan/evan/ ... index.html

For a game, you need greebles that are more believable, since in a game you have the opportunity to follow ships around for hours and study their details.
You don't need to cover a whole ship with details. A few focal points with detail concentrations work even better than wide coverage. This is a model of the WC carrier Bengal, 700 meters long, I was working on a few years ago. I added cargo locks on the sides, and it made a huge difference in the perception of its size:

But then again, I was able to do this for a 700 meter ship; but a 7 kilometer ship then what the hell can you do to convey size?
And then again, here I was stretching WC canon to the breaking point, but what do you do when the canon precludes windows; and specially for Aera ships, which are supposed to have single-piece hulls and few features?

And here's my real baby: Tadpole, a 300 meter long, one crew cargo ship I worked on for another game:

This is a ship you'd eventually own, and live in, and you'd have to suit up and go outside daily to do maintenance rounds, ergo the ladders, scaffolds and stuff.

Anyways, when I showed pictures of the work in progress in this forum, people were saying "it looks huge!". Well, really it doesn't. It simply looks its real size: 300 meters. The moral of the story is, I kept the sizes of my ships to scales that were representable; rather than go ballistic "Oh yeah, this ship is 5km; this ship is 10km, this one is 50 km!", to then have no way to convey such facts except in written form.
(Before you ask, no artificial gravity; but the VASIMR engine provides a steady 0.3 G's.)
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

Mmm confed carriers...

Could you pm me details on it? I'm really curious... I haven't played WC in a looong time and it doesn't look like any of the classes I remember.

The Tadpole looks really awesome. Modeling like that is stuff that I eventually want to learn how to do. Scaffolding was a very nice touch, especially considering the fact that a 'realistic' ship would have things to make it simpler to EVA and fix stuff. And of course, it's a nice place to take a lady (suited up, of course) and watch the stars, since you're among them.

Really stupid question to tack onto the end while I'm thinking of it... can you recommend any free (legal) programs I can start out with, Chuck? My 3d app is... very lacking in control. Simple, but not very useful.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

The carrier is the Bengal, of which the TCS Tiger's Claw was the prime representative in WC1 and WC2.
http://wcpedia.com/dw/doku.php/wc_info/ ... ier/bengal

The last question is the easiest I've ever been asked. Blender. Don't listen to anyone saying "you should start with Wings because it's easier." No advice could be worse. Wings gets you addicted to thinking about modeling in the Wings way, and you get so blindsided by it that when you try to learn Blender you'll find it 6 times as hard.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

chuck_starchaser wrote:The carrier is the Bengal, of which the Tiger's Claw was the prime representative in WC1 and WC2.

The last question is the easiest I've ever been asked. Blender.
Oh I feel really dumb. I should have thought of the Tiger's Claw when I saw it...

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can't throw anything together. By the way, I answered my own question in the Help forum, I see that the Unadorned are lacking in ship schematics and have concept that fit in with some of the stuff that I can see myself designing. Ahem... I digress.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Chuck: you got a website for the Tadpole game?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Yep. We haven't worked on it in more than a year though.
Tadpole Forum
We decided to put our energies on PU first, finish that; then get back to TP.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

chuck_starchaser wrote:My standpoint has been, and continues to be, that visuals are 10% of it, and physics 90%. In fact, one of my long dreams is to find the time to come up with a real good model for a large ship for VS, half a million polies, and not by smoothing but by greebling. Something that JackS cannot possibly deny it "looks its size", just so that he will see that it makes little difference. IMO, in VS such a ship will look like an exquisitly detailed, 50 meter long plastic toy floating in space; --***because*** of the unfathomable accelerations you're capable of.
So the problem is multi-faceted and needs a multi-pronged solution:
    When jackS gets back, you could put one of your two or more highly detailed WC capital ships in the VS game, show him how detailed the ship is and how big it looks from a standstill and then show him what a 40g fly-by makes it look like.
    [*]Increase the detail of ships; and bring back windows.
    This seems like a good idea to me except for the windows, which mostly don't belong on military and transport craft at least.
    [*]Reduce the sizes of ships to scales we grasp, like 100 meters, 300 meters, 1 kilometer occasionally.
    That is Definitely an excellent idea. For gameplay too, super huge ships have to move and turn so slowly that they are too boring to fly and too impossible to kill. There also appears to be too big of a gap between light vessels like interceptors, fighters, assaults and bombers versus corvettes, frigates, destroyers, cruisers, etc. which is probably a result of reaching for a size ceiling that is set so high.

There is no reason for a gap there when both types of craft are in space, simply to conform to the primitive and cliche air force and navy in space concept either.
    [*]Reduce accelerations to like 0.2 G's for large ships, 1 G for small civilian ships, maybe 1.5 G's for military fighters.[/list]
    That is a good idea, but those values are too low, more like a max of 5-10 g's would be perfect I think. You don't want craft unrealistically underpowered for their era or for dogfights to be out of control coast fests like they were last version. Of course you also need to somehow keep dogfighting at very low top speeds, or you will again fall into the coaster trap.

You also Must Have very sparse, very fine dust particles to float across the screen to show that you are going someplace (in addition to more highly 'greebled' large stations and ships that you fly by of course). This could be technically explained as individual molecules being picked up by your sensors and sent to the HUD or just total HUD fabrications. Whatever the explanation, you must have this natural, intuitive and non-intrusive way of displaying to the player just How Fast he is really going or else shitloads of people will complain that the game is too slow and you will have 40g acceleration brought back once again.
    Ares
    Confed Special Operative
    Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

chuck_starchaser wrote:The carrier is the Bengal, of which the TCS Tiger's Claw was the prime representative in WC1 and WC2.

The last question is the easiest I've ever been asked. Blender. Don't listen to anyone saying "you should start with Wings because it's easier." No advice could be worse. Wings gets you addicted to thinking about modeling in the Wings way, and you get so blindsided by it that when you try to learn Blender you'll find it 6 times as hard.
    Ya ya know i definitly thing this is gotta be true, i'll give ya i'm kinda oversimplifying things likely due to wing's.... simplified interface, but lacks any real usefullness for serious work. It's still not all bad though, i maintain with determination you can do 90%.... well Ok maybe not...
    loki1950
    The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

t's still not all bad though, i maintain with determination you can do 90%.... well Ok maybe not...
    BTW Fendorin uses Wind3D so add talent to determination :wink: there are a few other free modelling apps that you might look at Misfit 3D and K-3D come to mind at the top of the list IMHO or just persist at blender till you grok the interface at which point you wish other apps behaved the same way :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
    my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
    Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
    Phlogios
    Confed Special Operative
    Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Fendorin seems to be willing to learn Blender, at least he was excited when he used it the first time.
    "Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
    HoodedWraith
    Merchant
    Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

loki1950 wrote:
    t's still not all bad though, i maintain with determination you can do 90%.... well Ok maybe not...
    BTW Fendorin uses Wind3D so add talent to determination :wink: there are a few other free modelling apps that you might look at Misfit 3D and K-3D come to mind at the top of the list IMHO or just persist at blender till you grok the interface at which point you wish other apps behaved the same way :lol:

I'm usually pretty good at picking up software quickly (the low end 3d modeling program I was using to make myself stuff for Orbiter I got the hang of in three hours) but Blender just has me stumped. I'm currently downloading both of those apps that you recommended to give them a try, then I'll keep working at learning Blender in the background. I don't need a texture capable program yet, once I've gotten good enough at modeling I'll probably just import it into Blender or something and then texture it after I've gotten the hang of playing with 'em all.
    chuck_starchaser
    Elite
    Elite

Deus Siddis wrote:
    [*]Reduce accelerations to like 0.2 G's for large ships, 1 G for small civilian ships, maybe 1.5 G's for military fighters.[/list]
    That is a good idea, but those values are too low,
    I actually think they are too high. My initial proposal, years ago, was for sub-G accelerations; but I had support from nobody. So I finally decided to bring it up a bit, and gain the support of at least a few people.
    more like a max of 5-10 g's would be perfect I think.
    Well, I think 10G's is almost as absurd as 40 G's. Let me put it this way: The Space Shuttle does about 7 G's, or 9 G's, can't remember, going up to orbit, using gargantuous, *disposable*, chemical engines. Because stages detach, the craft doesn't have to worry about cooling them; which is the main problem in space.
    Secondly, the engines are huge, and yet the whole structure is pushed almost to the limit of material strengths. How on Earth or in space could you have ships with little engines --not to speak of wing-tip-mounted engines-- withstanding the stress to push the whole craft at 5 or 10 G's?
    Morover, in a chemical engine you got a fairly even stress/pressure distribution; but if we're talking about ion engines or vasimr's your whole stress stands upon a anode grid (a wire mesh) or a magnetic field containing a plasma. But also from a point of view of economics and futurology, the future of space propulsion will be towards low but steady accelerations, and ultr-high efficiency, as distances in space are so huge that there's no point in making engines that have huge, but short-term power ouputs. Then, from the point of view of space combat, which you bring up, most combat would be beyond visual range, anyways. Well, the way we plan combat in Tadpole is using small, detachable, chemical propulsion fighters. Pirates put themselves on an intercept orbit with you, but your sensors catch them early enough that you have at least an hour to a) study them (using a telescope), b) negotiate with them and/or c) plan what you're going to do. And if you decide to fight, you got a small, chemical, light-weight fighter under the belly of your cargo ship. You get on it and fight. For efficiency, the fighter doesn't carry missiles or beam weapons. You target what you want to target, and remotely order the lauch of missiles from your cargo ship. Your fighter has liquid fuel engines, as well as a number of one-time solid fuel propulsors you use for evasive maneuvers. Plus machine guns, pretty conventional except in terms of symmetry and special cooling equipment.
    You don't want craft unrealistically underpowered for their era or for dogfights to be out of control coast fests like they were last version. Of course you also need to somehow keep dogfighting at very low top speeds, or you will again fall into the coaster trap.
    Ditto. The problem with VS is that historically it was meant to be a "better Privateer", but following the same gaming paradigm, of having dogfights, which was a totally unrealistic, typical WC universe fantasy; but then tried to make other aspects of VS more realistic; and there's a deep mismatch... A wrinkle that you you push it here and it shows up there.
    You also Must Have very sparse, very fine dust particles to float across the screen to show that you are going someplace (in addition to more highly 'greebled' large stations and ships that you fly by of course). This could be technically explained as individual molecules being picked up by your sensors and sent to the HUD or just total HUD fabrications. Whatever the explanation, you must have this natural, intuitive and non-intrusive way of displaying to the player just How Fast he is really going or else shitloads of people will complain that the game is too slow and you will have 40g acceleration brought back once again.
    I disagree almost completely. At the speeds we're talking about, you wouldn't see those partics. Not enough time to impact your retinas. Enough energy, instead, to make your craft explode. And there are no such particles in space. Privateer's particles are a mixed blessing. If you're seeing the particles pass at a given speed, and behind them you see asteroids going 20 times more slowly, you assume the asteroids are 20 times further away, right? But if the particls seem to be passing a meter away, then the asteroids would be 20 meters away? Well, they are supposed to be like a kilometer away, or something like that, but they actually look like they are small and 20 meters away, precisely because of the stupid particles.

But what I did propose, once, was that we had actual garbage in space; and I even started modeling garbage :)
    But the garbage would be concentrated towards (slowly orbiting) space stations, originating from illegal disposal. It would include all kinds of junk, including dead cats and rats that made the mistake of chasing one another into airlocks :)
    The advantage of this "Garbage Proposal" is that it put speed references where they would be,
    a) logical to be found
    b) where you're flying at low speeds, ready to dock or undocking
    c) where you NEED speed references
    Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    charlieg
    Elite Mercenary
    Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I'm not sure chuck is right about the scales.

Think about it. We already have 0.5km long boats in the sea. Once you get into space, a lot of the problems with massive vehicles become a lot less important - various forces (e.g. gravity) that cause stress, reduced resistance (no air or water to move against), and plenty of space (not restricted in terms of going anywhere). If we already have 0.5km long oil tankers then I can imagine that we'll quickly have mega-giant space ships.
    Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
    FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
    chuck_starchaser
    Elite
    Elite

I was only talking from the point of view of making sizes artistically representable. I was making no explicit or implicit assumptions about realism of having large ships. In Tadpole, there will be cargo ships many kilometers long, but they will be like very long trains of identical "wagons", or of a few different types, each modeled with enough detail to make them look their size (and each having its own LOD dynamics ;-)). So you fly along and count the stages and they add up to kilometers. But making a single model to represent a single hull ship kilometers in size is a superhuman tall order. Well, no; it IS doable; but very, very hard.

EDIT:
    Found my garbage!
    http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 7534#57534
    There all the pieces of garbage were arranged in a cubic grid; but the idea was for the individual pieces to be instanced at random locations.
    The project was pending "shader instancing"; a feature that was planned but never made it into the engine AFAIK.
    HoodedWraith
    Merchant
    Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

charlieg wrote:I'm not sure chuck is right about the scales.

Think about it. We already have 0.5km long boats in the sea. Once you get into space, a lot of the problems with massive vehicles become a lot less important - various forces (e.g. gravity) that cause stress, reduced resistance (no air or water to move against), and plenty of space (not restricted in terms of going anywhere). If we already have 0.5km long oil tankers then I can imagine that we'll quickly have mega-giant space ships.
    Err... umm... you still have to worry about forces that cause stress in space, they're just a different breed. For example, your engine placement with larger vehicles (or anything really) in space becomes a LOT more important than most anything you can find dirtside (except aircraft, but even those aren't nearly as distressingly hard to work out). For example, a 'framework' style ship, something completely realistic to think of that hauls rocks from the K belt back to Earth orbit for processing, has to have the engines placed in a very specific way to keep from torquing the frame with every burn. Even that's not as scary as the retros it would require, and most sci fi tugs like that are only a couple hundred meters long. When you start talking capital ships, the engines themselves actually need to be a lower g accel to keep from having the frame rip itself apart while under power... not to mention the various logistical issues that arise like maintenance, micrometeorite impacts, and air/waste purification. A ship like something from the Space Oddesy series, with two people, would still face major problems with air scrubbers over an extended flight.

Ahem. >.> <.< Sorry. Not trying to start a flame war, just chiming in with something that might prove useful.
    Deus Siddis
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I actually think they are too high. My initial proposal, years ago, was for sub-G accelerations; but I had support from nobody. So I finally decided to bring it up a bit, and gain the support of at least a few people.
    Well that is probably because most people consider gameplay at least marginally more important than realism. If it takes even 1 minute to slow down from your chase speed in space combat or get back up to it (which you have to do to change direction) then probably most players are going to find combat unsatisfying and boring.

The real question is can any balance be found between somekind of high technology space realism and combat gameplay balance at all.
    Well, I think 10G's is almost as absurd as 40 G's. Let me put it this way: The Space Shuttle does about 7 G's, or 9 G's, can't remember, going up to orbit, using gargantuous, *disposable*, chemical engines. Because stages detach, the craft doesn't have to worry about cooling them; which is the main problem in space.
    You are talking about a modern technology, VS is set 1000 years in the future. Given how technology has been advancing exponentially over a long time now, there should be alot more powerful powerplants and methods of recycling what would otherwise be waste heat energy or there won't be any waste heat in the first place.
    Secondly, the engines are huge, and yet the whole structure is pushed almost to the limit of material strengths. How on Earth or in space could you have ships with little engines --not to speak of wing-tip-mounted engines-- withstanding the stress to push the whole craft at 5 or 10 G's?
    Beyond our horizon materials advancements is one explanation, electromagnetic reinforcement of structures might be another.

Where engines are placed on a craft is a content issue, you can take this up with jackS, but it is an adjacent topic, it is not totally related to in game physics realism and gameplay balance.
    Morover, in a chemical engine you got a fairly even stress/pressure distribution; but if we're talking about ion engines or vasimr's your whole stress stands upon a anode grid (a wire mesh) or a magnetic field containing a plasma. But also from a point of view of economics and futurology, the future of space propulsion will be towards low but steady accelerations, and ultr-high efficiency, as distances in space are so huge that there's no point in making engines that have huge, but short-term power ouputs.
    Efficient in a competition-less environment maybe, but when you need to get to a system before the Aera do, or outrun them, fuel economy becomes much less important.
    Then, from the point of view of space combat, which you bring up, most combat would be beyond visual range, anyways.
    For capital ships that is or is almost the case anyway.

But anyway we don't know that that will be the case in 1000 years, there's alot of factors.

What if you cannot detect the exact location of something so small and far away until you are very close to it because it is using technology that evades, disrupts or distracts your sensors like you and klauss are discussing in that other thread?

Or what if you have to FTL your whole warship up close to a target to be able to fire on it without it just evading your directed energy beams or outlasting your missiles?
    Well, the way we plan combat in Tadpole is using small, detachable, chemical propulsion fighters. Pirates put themselves on an intercept orbit with you, but your sensors catch them early enough that you have at least an hour to a) study them (using a telescope), b) negotiate with them and/or c) plan what you're going to do. And if you decide to fight, you got a small, chemical, light-weight fighter under the belly of your cargo ship. You get on it and fight. For efficiency, the fighter doesn't carry missiles or beam weapons. You target what you want to target, and remotely order the lauch of missiles from your cargo ship.
    I don't understand why the fighter has to spot for the ship or why you have to man the fighter, it seems you should fire as soon as you see the pirate or there should be USVs in the future to do dangerous work like that fighter does. More importantly though I don't understand how the pirates actually intercept you if there is no top speed limit in space, how do they not go right past you in the blink of an eye or have enough fuel left when they do catch you to get back to anyplace.
    Your fighter has liquid fuel engines, as well as a number of one-time solid fuel propulsors you use for evasive maneuvers. Plus machine guns, pretty conventional except in terms of symmetry and special cooling equipment.
    This would be a good fighter model if we were 100 or maybe even 300 years out, but VS is so far in the future that technological advancement would have to have totally leveled off in the near future for folks to still be using a warship with those modern technologies.

It is like going to war with a fleet of ships-of-the-line today- your dead, I don't care if wind sales are more fuel efficient, you won't live long enough to save any money.

Look, I am not trying to bash tadpole, I know only what you have told me about it, but it is just one possible approach in a thousand for simulating future space travel and combat at somepoint in the future, since it doesn't solve the realism issues or account for not yet invented or theorized technologies and its gameplay I don't think has been balance tested yet (unless it builds off of Space Combat, but I haven't played that game either). So it might not be a good fit for VS.

Any examples of other games that might have dealt with this problem should be those that have a similar focus to VS. Like Infinity, and its "bubbles" system for space combat, where the closer you get to another ship, the more your velocities are sort of 'averaged' together until you reached a certain range or relative speed that is acceptable for combat maneuvering.
    Ditto. The problem with VS is that historically it was meant to be a "better Privateer", but following the same gaming paradigm, of having dogfights, which was a totally unrealistic, typical WC universe fantasy; but then tried to make other aspects of VS more realistic; and there's a deep mismatch... A wrinkle that you you push it here and it shows up there.
    Well not necessarily, in the '60s people thought that the age of dogfighting was over, with the advent of the radar guided missile and interceptor. But they were wrong, their model was flawed and unrealistic and today we still have dogfighting capable aircraft.

But less specific than dogfighting, there has always been an advantage to phyiscally maneuving yourself so that you are a harder target to hit and/or your opponent is an easier target to hit. And there probably always will be. We just need to find a form or forms of this that makes sense in a distant future space engagement.

Because if this game goes in a modern-realistic direction it will be much less fun and popular and it will have abandoned its niche between the two types of games that you are working on (PU and Tadpole).
    I disagree almost completely. At the speeds we're talking about, you wouldn't see those partics. Not enough time to impact your retinas. Enough energy, instead, to make your craft explode. And there are no such particles in space.
    Like I said though, they could be completely fabricated by the HUD to give you an idea of your velocity in navigation and combat especially. Thus you could have keymapping to toggle this effect on and off.
    Privateer's particles are a mixed blessing. If you're seeing the particles pass at a given speed, and behind them you see asteroids going 20 times more slowly, you assume the asteroids are 20 times further away, right? But if the particls seem to be passing a meter away, then the asteroids would be 20 meters away? Well, they are supposed to be like a kilometer away, or something like that, but they actually look like they are small and 20 meters away, precisely because of the stupid particles.
    Have you tried adjusting the size, frequency, speed, etc. of the particles to find a less deceptive looking effect? Like having them stand absolutely still regardless of how the player's ship is moving and then making them bigger so that they can still be seen?
    But what I did propose, once, was that we had actual garbage in space; and I even started modeling garbage :)
    But the garbage would be concentrated towards (slowly orbiting) space stations, originating from illegal disposal. It would include all kinds of junk, including dead cats and rats that made the mistake of chasing one another into airlocks :)
    The advantage of this "Garbage Proposal" is that it put speed references where they would be,
    a) logical to be found
    b) where you're flying at low speeds, ready to dock or undocking
    c) where you NEED speed references
    The problem with that is it doesn't help you when you are navigating or fighting in orbit or deep space, only when you are close to a station. And then it might look weird and distracting seeing all of this garbage floating around that you don't see anywhere else.
    chuck_starchaser
    Elite
    Elite

Deus Siddis wrote:
    chuck_starchaser wrote:I actually think they are too high. My initial proposal, years ago, was for sub-G accelerations; but I had support from nobody. So I finally decided to bring it up a bit, and gain the support of at least a few people.
    Well that is probably because most people consider gameplay at least marginally more important than realism. If it takes even 1 minute to slow down from your chase speed in space combat or get back up to it (which you have to do to change direction) then probably most players are going to find combat unsatisfying and boring.
    The real question is can any balance be found between somekind of high technology space realism and combat gameplay balance at all.
    Well, you're either for realism or you're not; and I don't mean it in an uncompromising sense, but rather in the sense that you either care or don't. You can still make compromises afterwards; but, as with economics, the first step is to brainstorm without any preconceived conclusions or implementation assumptions. In other words, the one question a realist needs to answer first of all is how WILL space combat be? Because it WILL be. Certainly not in our lifetimes, given the way we've been dragging our feet about conquering space since Apollo. But anyways, there's trillions to be made in space, asteroid mining and the like, and it's plain collective stupidity we haven't got there yet, but get there we will, and there will be space elevators and stations at all planets and their Lagrange points, and there will be competition, there will be wars, there will be pirates... And so the first question to answer is one of futurology. Once we answer such a question we could THEN judge whether such future space combat is fun or boring, implementable in a game or not; and what to do about it, if anything. But to start off from the conclusion that "realism would not be good for gameplay", as the phrase "gameplay comes before realism" implies, is putting the cart a mile ahead of the horses.
    You are talking about a modern technology, VS is set 1000 years in the future. Given how technology has been advancing exponentially over a long time now, there should be alot more powerful powerplants and methods of recycling what would otherwise be waste heat energy or there won't be any waste heat in the first place.
    Here we're making Futurological assumptions that are well proven fallacies. If you aseked a 12th Century European to imagine the world of 900 years into his future, she'd probably say "We'll be making Gothic cathedrals taller than mountains! Glory to the Almighty!" Are we? No. History doesn't extrapolate linearly. Morover, your extrapolation extrapolates from two, very popular points in history that yield the highest rise in technological innovation: From the start of the industrial revolution to the "space age", which ended with Apollo, and the landing on the Moon. No, I'm not saying there haven't been advancements since then; just that the advancements have been incremental rather than revolutionary. The same can be said about all technology in general. Looking at it objectively, the past 40 years have been a disappointment. Sure telephones are smaller and work better than the old disk dials making gurgling noises; but they are still telephones. You don't have to dial numbers, but you still have to punch numbers; and more of them.
    Computers keep getting faster, and as they do, OS's grow bigger to slow them down; and the fans die faster too, and they don't sell you replacements. Commercial aviation broke the sound barrier with Concorde, only to then take timidly step back. The flying car never happened. And now the one country on Earth that we all expected was going to put the first "man" on Mars is bankrupcing itself in a war without a purpose. Goodbye Mars.
    Last but not least, technology can't possibly advance ad-infinitum. There are limits dictated by physical laws. And efficiency has theoretical limits dictated by thermodynamics.
    And, anyways, the next several hundred or several thousand years will be about surviving at all, as a race, through the climatic catastrophe coming. We will probably forget all our science and technology, and have to start again from square zero.
    Beyond our horizon materials advancements is one explanation, electromagnetic reinforcement of structures might be another.
    Where engines are placed on a craft is a content issue, you can take this up with jackS, but it is an adjacent topic, it is not totally related to in game physics realism and gameplay balance.
    But our discussion was not about realism or balance; it was in fact about content.
    Morover, in a chemical engine you got a fairly even stress/pressure distribution; but if we're talking about ion engines or vasimr's your whole stress stands upon a anode grid (a wire mesh) or a magnetic field containing a plasma. But also from a point of view of economics and futurology, the future of space propulsion will be towards low but steady accelerations, and ultr-high efficiency, as distances in space are so huge that there's no point in making engines that have huge, but short-term power ouputs.
    Efficient in a competition-less environment maybe, but when you need to get to a system before the Aera do, or outrun them, fuel economy becomes much less important.
    Perhaps, but I wasn't talking about efficiency in terms of cost, but more in the sense of can you carry enough fuel to get there at all? In a trip to the moon, you could throw out efficiency for speed; but in a trip to Saturn, wasting half your fuel on getting 10 G's of acceleration at the beginning of the trip means you're probably going to have to coast at that speed for the rest of the trip. But with a highly efficient ion engine pushing you at a constant 0.1 G you'll get there a lot faster.
    Then, from the point of view of space combat, which you bring up, most combat would be beyond visual range, anyways.
    For capital ships that is or is almost the case anyway.
    But anyway we don't know that that will be the case in 1000 years, there's alot of factors.
    Exactly.
    What if you cannot detect the exact location of something so small and far away until you are very close to it because it is using technology that evades, disrupts or distracts your sensors like you and klauss are discussing in that other thread?

Or what if you have to FTL your whole warship up close to a target to be able to fire on it without it just evading your directed energy beams or outlasting your missiles?
    Exactly. All these possibilities would need to be discussed in one huge "Brainstorm Andrew" or whatever name, and, of all possibilities, one has to be decided, before even game development begins. With Tadpole we spent well over a year brainstorming, and the work was far from done.
    Well, the way we plan combat in Tadpole is using small, detachable, chemical propulsion fighters. Pirates put themselves on an intercept orbit with you, but your sensors catch them early enough that you have at least an hour to a) study them (using a telescope), b) negotiate with them and/or c) plan what you're going to do. And if you decide to fight, you got a small, chemical, light-weight fighter under the belly of your cargo ship. You get on it and fight. For efficiency, the fighter doesn't carry missiles or beam weapons. You target what you want to target, and remotely order the lauch of missiles from your cargo ship.
    I don't understand why the fighter has to spot for the ship or why you have to man the fighter, it seems you should fire as soon as you see the pirate or there should be USVs in the future to do dangerous work like that fighter does. More importantly though I don't understand how the pirates actually intercept you if there is no top speed limit in space, how do they not go right past you in the blink of an eye or have enough fuel left when they do catch you to get back to anyplace.
    Well, precisely, our brainstorming about space combat only got started, and we put it on hold, because we felt we needed to brainstorm other aspects (historical, political, economic, social and technological) before we could answer certain critical questions about weapons in general. In any case, all our brainstorming for Tadpole was done in private forums, so I'm not technically at liberty to even be talking about it as much as I did already.
    Look, I am not trying to bash tadpole, I know only what you have told me about it, but it is just one possible approach in a thousand for simulating future space travel and combat at somepoint in the future,
    Exactly, and that's how I presented it, as an example of other possibilities. I wasn't trying to convert VS into Tadpole. I was just trying to say that there's no reason why one should preclude any paradigms other than dogfights from consideration.
    since it doesn't solve the realism issues or account for not yet invented or theorized technologies and its gameplay I don't think has been balance tested yet (unless it builds off of Space Combat, but I haven't played that game either). So it might not be a good fit for VS.
    Well, low accelerations don't preclude dogfighting. Much to the contrary: With low accelerations, dogfighting would be a lot more close and personal.
    Well not necessarily, in the '60s people thought that the age of dogfighting was over, with the advent of the radar guided missile and interceptor. But they were wrong, their model was flawed and unrealistic and today we still have dogfighting capable aircraft.
    Aircraft. We don't have dogfighting tanks. We don't have dogfighting boats. Only aircraft. Why? Because of air. In space there's no air.
    But less specific than dogfighting, there has always been an advantage to phyiscally maneuving yourself so that you are a harder target to hit and/or your opponent is an easier target to hit. And there probably always will be. We just need to find a form or forms of this that makes sense in a distant future space engagement.
    That's putting the cart before the horses. Well, no; that is a truism; I mean, all combat vehicles do that to some extent. Even large warships turn to dodge torpedos, and carrier fleets take random turns at sea so as to not give a potential enemy time to plan an attack from last seen location and heading data. You could say that every fight is a dogfight. Anyways, I'm not sure what we're arguing about, anymore.
    Because if this game goes in a modern-realistic direction it will be much less fun and popular and it will have abandoned its niche between the two types of games that you are working on (PU and Tadpole).
    Tadpole doesn't exist, and nothing like it does, so it IS a niche, rather than create one on its side.
    I disagree almost completely. At the speeds we're talking about, you wouldn't see those particles. Not enough time to impact your retinas. Enough energy, instead, to make your craft explode. And there are no such particles in space.
    Like I said though, they could be completely fabricated by the HUD to give you an idea of your velocity in navigation and combat especially. Thus you could have keymapping to toggle this effect on and off.
    I missed that.

Anyways; post too long; I'm exhausted.
    loki1950
    The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Much as i enjoying the turn of tone of this thread it is a hijack :roll: so do i have permission to split it out to a topic of it's own :wink: but where as it is a bit of brainstorming but still very important for to explore.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
    Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2