a really good idea!...plz check this...

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
premman1994
Hunter
Hunter

a really good idea!...plz check this...

Post by premman1994 »

i think it's could be cool to have missile turrets for cap ship!!!
that would be better for my Clydesdale...plz reply what u think of this idea...
Last edited by premman1994 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Yes, I would like missile turrets in VS very much as well. It is so basic and modern I really don't see how you could not have it in VS.

I thought I read someplace that this type of weapon is planned on being added to the game in the future, but I am unsure about this.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Yes, I would like missile turrets in VS very much as well. It is so basic and modern I really don't see how you could not have it in VS.

I thought I read someplace that this type of weapon is planned on being added to the game in the future, but I am unsure about this.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

Deus Siddis wrote:Yes, I would like missile turrets in VS very much as well. It is so basic and modern I really don't see how you could not have it in VS.

Why missile turrets instead of broadside boxes? Launch something like 20 per box, be able to equip four on a cap ship... granted, they'd have to be lighter missiles, but it'd be pretty cool to dump a broadside of missiles, especially since you can't easily turn and target your torps with a Clydesdale.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

a box on a turret.. able to be shot off.. but very good accuracy.. you wouldnt have to turn your ship.. just turn the turret to pick the angle for your torpedo/missile
premman1994
Hunter
Hunter

Post by premman1994 »

wow u guys look like love my idea...another thing that would be cool it that u can buy every ship of the game even the non-armed...and the bigger one! :D...like the elephant...go check the description:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Vessel:Elephant
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

Neskiairti wrote:a box on a turret.. able to be shot off.. but very good accuracy.. you wouldnt have to turn your ship.. just turn the turret to pick the angle for your torpedo/missile
Ah, see... I recommended the "box" tubes for the simplicity of addition. It could just be treated as a "heavy missile" allowed to go into the tubes, but then would be loaded with med/light missiles for sheer numbers. Also, it would be able to fire a fire/forget missile that would track for itself, thus you wouldn't have to put in turrets, or even really put in anything other than the ability to target in a 360 degree sphere (with vastly decreased range for anything not in the typical sensor 'cone').

Just thought I'd try and make the missile frigate/boat ideas easier with that way, since it even limits having to create totally new gfx/meshes, just making a custom weapon... though that would still pose problems. If I could actually code worth a damn I'd offer to tool around with it and do it myself (I'd probably tweak a plowshare to mount it for testing 'cause I'm just mean that way) and then submit it. Since I'm not up to code, I can just float my ideas forward and let someone else look at 'em and go "hey, that's nifty". Same thing I plan on doing with the whole ship design thing (since I can't model in 3d worth anything as of yet).
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

We got missile turrets in PU. I think it's just a data-side hack, like take a turret and make it shoot missiles, basically. I can come up with a quick model of an MLRS-looking thing, if someone wants to do the integration work.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

chuck_starchaser wrote:We got missile turrets in PU. I think it's just a data-side hack, like take a turret and make it shoot missiles, basically. I can come up with a quick model of an MLRS-looking thing, if someone wants to do the integration work.
Well if it's that "simple", coders not on the project could probably whip up the code for missile turret addons and I'd be happy to test it.

I wonder if I can BS my overuse of cap ships with the excuse of "testing their balance"... >.>
premman1994
Hunter
Hunter

Post by premman1994 »

where is the exit for the misille???and it's would be much better whit medium long tube(double) for lauching...and a littl cabin (cockpit) for the gunner...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

premman1994 wrote:where is the exit for the misille???
That's better done with the texture. Black circles.
and it's would be much better whit medium long tube(double) for lauching...
You mean the tubes should be thinner/longer?
and a littl cabin (cockpit) for the gunner...
There's no gunner for MRLS systems. Targeting and launching are usually done remotely. Accurate aiming is not important, since what's launched from it is homing missiles.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

There's already Swarm and mass-driver turrets. All difference between them and missile turret is tracking radar. But...
chuck_starchaser wrote:We got missile turrets in PU. I think it's just a data-side
How it rearms ?
HoodedWraith wrote: Well if it's that "simple", coders not on the project could probably whip up the code for missile turret addons and I'd be happy to test it.
What's needed is to traverse subunits tree when installing weapons/ammo and append mounts found on turrets to list.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Turbo Beholder wrote:There's already Swarm and mass-driver turrets. All difference between them and missile turret is tracking radar. But...
chuck_starchaser wrote:We got missile turrets in PU. I think it's just a data-side
How it rearms ?
No idea; I don't play PU; only do modeling for it ;-). I only know we have them because I saw them in units.csv.
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

I definitely agree we need missile turrets, i actually coded one a while back for one of my ships (It was real basic though) so all we'd really need is the model. Which brings up one interesting question.. how would you setup there ammo?
Chuck's design looks pretty good but assuming these are regular missiles i don't really see a feed system to load the turret from the ship. You could be do a specialized missile that is contained only in the turret itself and is much smaller (which would make it easier for a fighter to fly past a missile turret too without getting blown into oblivion).
With minor coding it would probably make more sense to make a turret that is fed from the ships inventory. This would also be advantageous if your in that fighter again so if you fly past you don't have 25 missiles chasing you.
That and it would be a much less damaging 'bang' when someone blew the turret up.
*EDIT*
Secondly, if the missile is 'fire and forget' does it really NEED the ability it initially track targets? it could initially maneuver itself to do that.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I put a canopy behind the launch box, precisely to hint as serving as a housing for the reloading mechanisms.

Missiles don't need to be aimed, but doing so extends their range. Most vehicle-mounted MRLS have at least the ability to pivot around.

EDIT:
Looks like my statement about PU having missile turrets was premature...
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 3479#13479
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Seeing this thread gave me an urge to do some low poly turrets too, PEW PEW!

just did them for fun as it looks like they're a long way off :D
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I put a canopy behind the launch box, precisely to hint as serving as a housing for the reloading mechanisms.
I was thinking of it more as a heat shield, (similar to the fighter ones on a aircraft carrier for the catapults), but i guess it would serve well to shield the mechanical components too
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Yeah; both, I guess.

@Rivalin:
Looking good!
premman1994
Hunter
Hunter

Post by premman1994 »

i love the turret of rivalin but put more than 4 missile!!! a little box whit 24 missile should be good! :wink:
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

with little girly rockets as requested :) , not sure if these are actually of use but it's only 5 mins work so whatevs.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Even better; but now the boxes look too far from the turret. Maybe get rid of the middle boxes; and give the zone of attachment a circular profile, so it looks more like the launch boxes rotate up and down.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

what kind of payload would these be too?

simple chemical explosives? pressurized (solidified) hydrogen? (one of my favorite projectiles btw :P) Tactical Nukes? Fullsized Nukes?

anyhow.. some of them wouldnt really explode when the turret is destroyed.. others, it would be like a miniture supernova attatched to your hull :P

anyhow.. Box types generally arnt reloaded, atleast not on the go.. but you could have rack types (with 3 shots primed) encased in an assembly.. and as soon as one fires, the rest slide up in to place.. and you can fire 1-3 at once.. just an idea. plus the Box type.. then larger types such as a directional torpedo tube (the 'tube' is the loading system, slides the armament in to place.. and then a housing holds it and aim's it) maybe a max of 45 degrees off center..

For a broadside I would picture a dozen of those along the side of the ship :P
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Neskiairti wrote: what kind of payload would these be too?
simple chemical explosives? pressurized (solidified) hydrogen? (one of my favorite projectiles btw :P) Tactical Nukes? Fullsized Nukes?
That's a matter of power and total useful energy. And on what exactly you want to do with it, of course.
1) for primary damage : at moderate (on spacial scale) speeds chemical explosives become inefficient (relative to raw kinetic energy) — it's better to have more fuel and more powerful thruster. Powder-like mixes are more energetic, but too slow. Looking at setting we see (in cargo and upgrade lists) that there are fusion reactors and AM cells, hence there could be fusion devices (with "clean" plasma detonator instead of nuke it may cause relatively weak explosion, and is safe until activated) and AM containers (expensive, explodes when confinement system is upset). Nukes, when both lots of power and minimal size are needed. But enriched fission materials aren't likely to be cheap; and it's much less safe than "pure" fusion variants while not as inescapable as AM (damaged AM-cell explodes at full power, damaged implosion device scatters).
2) to dispense fragments (mostly anti-missile weapons) : chemical explosives... or just steam overheated by engine (if slowly expanding shrapnel cloud is chosen over precision). Or remainder of chemical fuel.
3) for AP projectiles (crashes through armor, explodes more or less inside) : anything that can be made to survive hit, from nothing (natural fragmentation by impact) to remainder of chemical fuel to thermite based AP-I rounds heated while in transit and scattered by steam or powder blast. :? Again, AM-magcells (with some modifications).

As a side note, there could be some "special" warheads, and not only crafty targetting single-shot lasers or whatever. :) For slow-approaching warheads (especially in MIRV) magnetocumulative device may be an option, as strong EMF could disproportionally deteriorate shield, maybe even cause shield emitter overload (and sometimes happen to damage other electronics).
Neskiairti wrote: some of them wouldnt really explode when the turret is destroyed.. others, it would be like a miniture supernova attatched to your hull
Even if warhead if safe, there's thrusters: chemical fuel explodes; fusion drives don't, but they are big. I.e. pack of small antimissiles (frag / chemical jet) is more dangerous ammo than interplanetary-range missile (fusion/fusion). :)
Neskiairti wrote: larger types such as a directional torpedo tube (the 'tube' is the loading system, slides the armament in to place.. and then a housing holds it and aim's it)
Submarine torpedo tube is more of a lock chamber made to not interfere with hydrodynamics. For spaceship, construction mostly depends on ammo storage solution. There's not just cormorants' guano and rain. If we plan to enter and exit atmosphere, hermetic magazine and lock are advisable features... if not, greatest concern is protection against dust (at 70 km/s or so dust is bad thing) and radiation (do you have 80 g/cm² of anything between your electronics and yonder star's wind?).

P.S.: hmm, maybe, we deviated enough to another thread ? Like "tech: kinetic weapons" ?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter