better mouse control mode?

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
hacked
Explorer
Explorer

better mouse control mode?

Post by hacked »

am i the only one who finds the current mouse controls a little uncomfortable?

whenever i think of maneuvering a ship in first person, i think fps style.
move mouse up a little, look up a little.
move mouse down a lot, look down a lot.
with VS, i thought maybe i could move my mouse toward the enemy to turn my ship toward my enemy. no more no less

in the settings i find this:

mouse glide- great, great. enemies move constantly so my ship should spin constantly, right? cool but how about when im not trying to give myself a headache, like docking or whenever im not using SPEC. i really hate elbowing my mouse on accident only to find my ship twirling like a drunken ballerina. this mode causes more problems than it helps.

mouse warp- maybe an fps mode just for ppl like me? so i tried it out, and it felt a little.. no, not even a little. it was horrible, like wearing your sneakers on the wrong foot. the nasty surprise was aiming for the enemy a little to the northeast but hitting the friendly [powerful ship name] farther up. i don't think anyone uses this mode, but at least when i bump my knee against my desk, my ship doesn't go berserk.

im really looking for a mouse control scheme more natural for a first person game like this. maybe something like mouse glide, but the cursor moves back down to center as the ship approaches your rotational target? i doubt anyone has played TA Spring, but its an rts with an fps mode for each unit. it handles different unit rotation speeds perfectly
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome hacked looks like your are having mouse sensitivity problems more than anything else pop open vegastrike.config with a XML aware text editor Notepad++ is a good windows one or any of the Linux default editors will highlight XML syntax scroll down to about line 1020 and you will find this

Code: Select all

#end -->
<!-- #glide_mouse no_mouse inv_glide_mouse -->
			<var name="warp_mouse" value="false"/>
			<var name="mouse_sensitivity" value="40"/>
<!-- #end -->
<!-- #warp_mouse inv_warp_mouse
			<var name="warp_mouse" value="true"/>
			<var name="mouse_sensitivity" value="120"/>
#end -->
			<var name="warp_mouse_zone" value="200"/>
			<var name="mouse_exponent" value="1.5"/>
			<var name="deadband" value="0.05"/>
			<var name="debug_digital_hatswitch" value="false"/>
			<var name="force_feedback" value="false" />
<!-- #joy_throttle joy_t_a_rev joy_throttle_and_axis joy_axis joy_normal -->
Experiment with exponent.sensitivity.and deadband values should grt you something workable for you 8)

As i mentioned the file is XML and the game is a bit finicky about it :wink: so back it up first just in case

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
hacked
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hacked »

my problem isn't the sensitivity
i guess the easiest way to describe what im looking for is a mouse warp that takes into consideration how FAR you move the mouse instead of just yes or no. so when i move my mouse, the "target" point changes immediately and the ship turns toward that point at its own rate
primate
Explorer
Explorer

same problem

Post by primate »

i have also had the same problem (on three different machines and in linux&win) and until now have never really used warp mode (assumed it was broken or something). but i might give the tweaking a go and try again, thanks loki. be good we could set it to a default that works for everyone, is this mode usable for most people?

for the glide mode it would be good to have a centre button that moves the pointer back to the exact middle. its quite hard when not in spec to get the pointer exact center just cruise straight forward without gradually turning. or maybe some kind of tolerance of "snap to" kind of feature (can be turned on/off) so that anywhere near centre = no turning. first one would probably be easier.