Moving parts and other unreasonable requests :)

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
primate
Explorer
Explorer

Moving parts and other unreasonable requests :)

Post by primate »

1. I just wanted to request that in the distant future moving parts are added to models so the following can be included:

Bay doors that open when you approach
Robotic arms
Inhabitant activity on stations, like a little monorail on the commerce centre

Perhaps this can be accomplished through the turret system or something related?

2. Also a more visual site of hitting the afterburners, like doubling engine glow? Freespace2 was cool effect for that (sound plus cockpit/hud shake)

3. Turrets move randomly to draw attention for purely aesthetic reasons.

Well hope that wasn't too pointless :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Good ideas a few not new but you can't read all of the posts in a reasonable time frame :wink: moving parts we can not do ATM with the OGRE back-end we maybe able to if the overhead doesn't get in the way lots to do between frames :? now the over-drive animation , sound and cockpit shake are possible just need the sound files and modify the current exhaust ani and add the activation of it to the "tab" key event.
Not pointless every little bit helps may be ignored but it helps.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

animations regarding deformation of the ship's mesh is easy if the deformation doesn't really affect the mesh such that we would need to generate a new collider for it. What i mean is, bay doors opening would be fine, so long as the door didn't extend out of the ship enough so that we now have something we should be able to collide into that wasn't there before.

Any animation that would not thus change the general shape of the mesh, is infinitely easier to do than one that does. Not simply in a coding sense either, but in an overhead sense.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Moving parts and other unreasonable requests :)

Post by TBeholder »

primate wrote:1. I just wanted to request that in the distant future moving parts are added to models
Llama has clearance lights, it's animated texture. Technically, there can be more such things, just to show minor activity.
primate wrote:Perhaps this can be accomplished through the turret system or something related?
I'm trying to make big dish "turret" to be placed on MiningBase instead of static one. Maybe special AI could aim it at planets and far stations (and discharge from time to time), when not trying to brutally jam some flying pest. :) With different activities for planets and ships set in VegaEvents.csv this should work.
Can be used as extra-long range radar with narrow beam, if VS will support subunits radar data.
After which turning MiningBase's domes into stationary subunits, so i'll check whether subunits can do for parent anything good (like repair and energy supply) save shooting around. Even if not, this can be added, right ?
And when something turns into module, it can be easily used on other bases.
primate wrote:2. Also a more visual site of hitting the afterburners, like doubling engine glow?
Separate jets (so any maneuver would not look like acceleration forward), too. Basically, the same engine-glow placement, only with thrust vectors. Maybe, with damageable devices added there — then maneuver upgrade is replacing jets in slots.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter