Self-defense shouldn't piss off factions.

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
ilikepie
Explorer
Explorer

Self-defense shouldn't piss off factions.

Post by ilikepie »

I know it's reasonable to be hated if you blast away a ship for no reason, but I don't understand how defending oneself constitutes an offense against the attacking party's faction.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It has been been mentioned before lots of times :roll: and some relief is planed when that will happen though is in the hands of free time for the devs to actually get it coded with all the other priorities that are clambering for attention.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

It would be a "he said she said" type thing. Best situation you can go for would probably be some means of disowning ships that kill outside of a mission. But really, if you're an ace and you're racking up kills, nobody is going to like you who isn't on your side, whether they're strict "enemies" or not.

Perhaps we could also do some type of fading system. Where some ships are allowed to cause a faction to be angry at you for a limited time, others are as things are now (permanent unless you do good deeds). This way you get a localized outrage at killing a comrade, but if you wait it out, things will cool down. Yet, if you destroy a military ship or an important trading vessel, they'll be pissed at you and looking for you forever unless you bring the relation level back to positive some other way.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
Keller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Keller »

I would suggest making the cool off time proportional to the number of ships of the given faction previously killed. I realize it'd make for more variables needing storage in the save file, but it would also make somewhat less predictable a faction's behavior toward the player.
Nothing is uninteresting. ;)
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

I have something to add to Keller's idea: when one of a faction decides to do something against faction orders, and the faction offers a bounty or is not offended by killing them :twisted: . They would notify you if the 'one' comes near, though.
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

also would like to see some kind of system that can determine when it's not your fault... like when i was flying a big slow cruiser and this little tiny fighter decided to cut me off and well, made a nice big splatter on my hull. :lol: They dont like me anymore... lol.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

yeah.. a better faction system would be nice..
"on one hand, he destroyed ten of our biggest frigates.. on the other, he did kill 30 of those pirates we hate... so lets invite him in to our port!"

do it with a legal system..

every ship has a 'legal' aspect to it.. and so does every system..
so you go in to one faction's system, they have a set of laws you have to abide by.. some might be 'no fighting zone' so.. you fire a weapon.. you just broke a law..

however that isnt a law against ramming.. :P

but a military ship would have their own zone of control.. within that area.. if you broke one of their laws.. such as ramming or being rammed by one of their fighters.. well.. if your in the path of a military convoy.. they have the right of way :P

if your part of the military convoy.. then it was just an accident.