Faction Colors

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Faction Colors

Post by pyramid »

Factions are hardly distinguishable on todays navigation map. There are too many shades of blue. Therefore I thought it would be pertinent to change that and at the same time took the opportunity to make this color coding a standard for other UI based tools (navigation computer, base screens, VSMap3D, you name it).

The color map here is a small version, where it is hard to read anything beyond the faction and species names. Below each faction/species there is also a color name and the 3 different types of RGB values for reference (float 0-1, int 0-255, hex). A larger version of the map will be put into svn under modtools.

Please not, this colors shall not be confused with the artstyle guidelines for vessel textures or any other real universe faction colors. They are purely for codification and representational purposes.

Please also note that though some of the factions/species did not find their way into the game data, they a re still represented here since their colors might come in handy for use in the universe history.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

may be late to change now, but I think aera and aera mercant marine should be closer together in color (like the rlaan and its factions). Make them similar shades of green, because telling them apart doesn't matter much ingame, but telling the aera merchant marine from the ancients is more important.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Not sure I am getting you. The AMM is (as the other Aeran factions) in the green hues (Dark Green) while the Ancients are in yellow hues. Are you sure you've got your monitor gamma and rgb saturations correctly set?
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Hate to say it, but even with the wider selection of colors, its all still as confusing as hell. Unless you're a mantis shrimp, there just aren't enough colors and shades to represent all these mini-factions.

I think the only way to make this work is to allow groups of factions that have little or nothing separating them share one color or have very similar colors. Like make every Confed department and division dark blue. Make Andolians, Klkk and Purth medium blue. Make all Rlaan factions purple except for maybe the workers and salaheeblabla. Et cetera.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Having less colors would bring us back to what we have today. i.e. you can hardly distinguish any faction from another. With the proposed color coding there is the advantage of having distinguishable hues for each faction, while still maintaining the higher abstract level of basic hues for the different races.

If you don't want to remember the different shades, just keep in mind: Aera - green hues, Rlaan - Mgenta hues, Confed - blue hues and brown hues, Independent - red/orange hues. That's the base line and I don't see how making different factrions the same color would help you in anything (but brain memory consumption :) ).