Crew

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
iaindaddy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Crew

Post by iaindaddy »

Has anyone asked about crew?

As more, and bigger, ships are added to the range it must come to a point where someone has a huge cargo hold and can just fly around making loads of money. Now this is not a bad idea with a single player game but it causes a few problems in a multi player game.

The large ships are hard to control (mass and maneuverability)so forward facing cannon are next to useless.
Multiple weapon systems (turrets) need to be manned.
There is no limit to the profit... upgrades... etc.

My thought is that, for larger ships, you need crew. You can pick up crew from three places...

1) the adverts on the computer system (like wing men)
2) the bar (another option here for some characters)
3) do it yourself ... or become a crew member ... fly a mission by piloting or manning a turret on a large space frailer belonging to someone else...

there is a lot of AI already running in this game it would not be much of an overhead to put a little of that AI to use manning a turret gun or flying the ship while you shoot the hell out of bandits.

In a multi player game a player can then crew/fly wing man for another player!!!!

But crew come at a price... good pilots/gunners will demand a higher percentage of the profits made from the trade run. There is always the chance of a mutiny and the captain, you, having an "Accident" with an air lock .... :D .... so getting good crew, the best food and good accommodation will help.

Working this way anyone who just wants to "trade" can fly a large ship with a good crew and not have to play the "shoot-em-up" side of the game so much.... unless they want to go for high profits and fly to dangerous planets with minimal crew!!!

Any thoughts?

All the best

Iain
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is an AI routine for when you are in your ships turret not that sophisticated but there.AS for crew the current code does not support them as the capital ship that would require them are currently not purchasable by the player the largest ship that you can buy ATM is the Clydesdale.crew for cap ships has a long history of requests so lots of ideas but no code :(

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I actually like the idea of hiring better gunner to improve the turret AI's. It should be fairly doable too. 8)