Language of VS

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Language of VS

Post by legine »

Hi there,

I am sorry for maybe asking the obvious. I took a look on the not python code today. (To be happy that I understand something ;) )

In the Files I looked I did not find any class declerations. Since I am not so c / c++ proof (It 's all the same to me.). Is VS written in C or C++ Code. Is there a reason VS does not use Class technique?
If I spontaneously start write code to provide functions for piArmada (ie change the Save algorythm that can handle my needs and the needs of VS) do I need to take care of certain things?

Wouldnt it be great to write that into How to contribute Section Programmers as general codeing information?

thanks
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

ahhh.... :-D

Okay there are classes (It looks like all game related thingies are OO oriented, and the work around it is "spagetti code".

DO I see this now correctly?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

the python code is intended as procedural scripts for the C++ code to execute.

As for the spaghetti code, we're working on fixing that ...see the roadmap for 0.6
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Oki :-) Thanks.

I changed the Text in the wikki from:

Code: Select all

Coding tasks

Please contact the development team for information...
To:

Code: Select all

Coding task

Vegastrike is written in C++ and uses python as procedural scripting language. The C++ Code is moving to a Object Orientated organization.  Please contact the development team for information...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The code base is very huge. What sorts of helper functions do you need in VS?

Depending on what you are trying to do it should be possible to write everything in Python.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

I am currently only looking at the code to get a feeling for it.

What I am looking for is ideas howto design everything other then the strategic side of the game.

Special concerns are Savegame design (As the current plan says that I need the savegame data only for setting up the battles. Savegames need other data to memory) and system generation (everything has to be from typ base but look and feel of jumppoints bases and planets).

In the long run I want to keep in mind that I may want to be able to access the map within a battle. (i.e. to order in reinforcements) or to make it all RTS like mode. Maybe I want to change the Setup Code bc I am used to more interactive menues like in modern games. Or other stuff. I have some other Ideas too (not concerning all to pi armada also some Ideas that maybe more interesting to VS, but as I dont want to blame myself I just dont want to talk into the blue -> research stuff)

So I am looking how I want to programm and what I want to do in future. :) This is not a streight thing. But I never do things streight. I always look to the left and right. :-P
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

VS's savegame format is basically just a hashtable/map, so each keyword contains a list of strings... you can store any information that you want.

Improving the Nav Map would be cool--yeah feel free to change/add anything in there--it's not all that good code.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

VS's savegame format is basically just a hashtable/map, so each keyword contains a list of strings... you can store any information that you want.
Ahhhh, coool :) Solved one of my problems in the plan :-D
Improving the Nav Map would be cool--yeah feel free to change/add anything in there--it's not all that good code.
I want as much features as possible in a way that other mods can use it. At least in the long run. I think that will improve VS a lot better then everyone fighting on its own ;)