Crosshair (feature?)

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Crosshair (feature?)

Post by vodalian »

Hey guys. I notice that in the recent SVN build, the crosshair changes shape based on it's screen coordinates. The closer it is the vertical center of the screen, the more the crosshair sprite is scaled down in that direction, the same applies to the horizontal center. My guess is that this is to make the crosshair smaller as it gets closer to the center of the screen. As it is now though, often the crosshair is an oval shape which really looks bad. My suggestion is that if you want to scale the size of the crosshair, you should use an algorithm to scale the entire sprite equally based on it's distance from the center, instead of just along one coordinate at a time. That way the crosshair will never be an oval, which looks more like a bug than a feature right now (assuming this is a feature).

bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

That one did throw me off the first time I saw it, but after you get used to it it can be helpful to know your ship will only turn along one axis as opposed to diagonally as you move the mouse. That can be important when flying capships with extremely weak orthogonal thrusters.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

i'm sure the thrusters are plenty strong. The mass of the capship just comes into play. It just has slow angular acceleration. Probably slow linear acceleration too.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Nah. If you turn while in motion, it can take several minutes to half an hour to come to a complete stop, while stopping parallel to your direction of travel will only take 30 sec or so. That is purposeful though, just one of the difficulties of flying a capship.

Edit: I wasn't complaining about the stats, actually, I find flying a clydesdale an interesting challenge. Just commenting on the possible uses of a new feature.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I made it an oval for the x and y deadbands because it was really simple to modify the code that way...

The idea is that you are in the deadband either for both coordinates, or for one, and it can be helpful to know when you are exactly at the center.
huginn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by huginn »

Hello,

I'm looking for the Angular Acceleration Indicator as mentioned in http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... _Indicator and it seems the green crosshair in the pictures is exactly that.

However, I haven't encountered it yet during my flights. Is it turned off right now in svn HEAD? Is there a key binding I'm not aware of? Is it only available on certain ship types?

Edit
I'm playing Low Detail and No Shader.

The wiki-post http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... aneuvering mentions, "there is currently no indicator of exact heading", so I'm confused. What is the current status?

Thanks.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

If you use a joystick you wont see the green cross-hair at all as it's the mouse cursor so no Angular_Acceleration_Indicator for joystick users :twisted:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
huginn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by huginn »

Ah, so this green crosshair is the mouse glide cursor.

That still leaves my original question. But I opened a separate topic for that.