Super-features of future releases

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.

The most important superfeature is?

Dynamic and believable economy
17%
Dynamic and believable economy
17%
VS on Ogre
11%
VS on Ogre
11%
Ability to build/buy stations/planets/star rings/star spheres
4%
Ability to build/buy stations/planets/star rings/star spheres
4%
Lua implementation instead of/together with Python
1%
Lua implementation instead of/together with Python
1%
P2P MORPG
3%
P2P MORPG
3%
Seamless planetary flight (most likely requires Ogre)
4%
Seamless planetary flight (most likely requires Ogre)
4%
Station internals, walking around (most likely requires Ogre)
2%
Station internals, walking around (most likely requires Ogre)
2%
RPG elements for pilot/ship/faction
3%
RPG elements for pilot/ship/faction
3%
Faction interaction/management
3%
Faction interaction/management
3%

Total votes: 90

Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

massive multiplayer, 3d bases where i can meet other player characters, smooth planetflight, weapon-grouping.

and i ihink python is one of the finest programming/scripting languages around atm.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Economy, THEN mmorpg

Post by drinkypoo »

I voted for economy because without it an MMORPG is going to be lame and pointless. The actions of players should influence the world! If worlds need gas mined, then there need to be enough gas miners out there to produce it... but if there are too many, the price of gas needs to fall... until someone goes out and blows up some gas miners.

I feel the real potential of VS lies in persistent, shared universes. Doesn't really matter if it's four players or four hundred players; persistence and being able to BUY and BUILD things (like starbases, planets, whatever) is really key. But none of that is meaningful without a working economy.

I realize how much is really implied by having a working economy. I would expect a lot of fudging to go on at first. I am not much of a programmer (certainly not python) and absolutely no economist, but I'll do anything I can to further the goal of having a working economy in VS.
bengreenwood
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bengreenwood »

I'd like to see better weapons and a combat system that's easier to get into. Right now it's hard to figure out what to do. Also RPG elements would be nice.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

bengreenwood wrote:I'd like to see better weapons and a combat system that's easier to get into. Right now it's hard to figure out what to do. Also RPG elements would be nice.
I think the combat issue could largely be solved through an improved user guide... perhaps one which applies to 0.5.x :)

I'm working on a professional-style keyboard template right now, like something that might have come with Freespace 2 (retail) or something. I got the keymap out of xmodmap or something and am working it over in scribus and inkscape. I think documentation is one of the areas in which the game is weakest as compared to a typical commercial offering. (The extent to which that matters is a matter for a debate which I don't want to be involved in.) :)

What do you mean RPG elements? Do you mean character development, or a storyline? You can develop your own missions - look in the data/missions directory. See http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... t_Missions (FWIW) for what info there is on missions :) also http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... ent:Quests for quests.
DangerousDave
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by DangerousDave »

Had to go for the underdog. Seamless planetary flight got my vote. Simply because solving this is a hell of a challenge and no recent modern space sim has managed to crack it yet.
bengreenwood
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bengreenwood »

drinkypoo, yeah that's what I meant, more missions etc. I'll take a look at making some sometime.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We are working on a campaign but the forum is hidden :wink: don't want to give too much away while we work it out if you feel like joining the effort http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10532

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Super-features of future releases

Post by legine »

so I picked my vote for OGRE.

Why?
Because it is something that cannot be done step by step. Ogre has to be implented in one big jump. Or at least Klaus goes that way.

Economy system can be imho done in small steps if we make a concept first. that goes too for
- Ability to build/buy stations/planets/star rings/star spheres
-Seamless planetary flight (most likely requires Ogre)
- Station internals, walking around (most likely requires Ogre)
-RPG elements for pilot/ship/faction
-Faction interaction/management
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

There's one feature I'd like to see that isn't listed. Unexplored/uninhabited systems and exploring. You could be, for example, hired by government or some corporation to survey certain star sytem. That would include detailed scans of all planets, moons etc...(and not just by flying around, most prolly you'd have to spend some time at orbit, or, if planetary flight is implemented, flying in and landing on certain interesting places), mapping of jump points, etc...and possibly deploying some machines to geological survey and mining...or just go exploring, gather some interesting data and then sell them.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

There's a bunch more listed here.

[edit]
BTW, I totally agree with the poll results.
Breakable
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Breakable »

Shark wrote:There's a bunch more listed here.

[edit]
BTW, I totally agree with the poll results.
Dont mix features with SUPERFEATURES! ;)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Albert Einstein