Add drop shadow or bg to menu text

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Add drop shadow or bg to menu text

Post by charlieg »

The 0.5 planet navigation menus are scrumptious but somebody forgot to put their usability hat on before finishing them. Ya'see, white text looks great on dark colours, but not all the planet screens are pure dark colours. In fact, some of them are positively bright with almost-white areas.

So there I am trying to navigate a base and, oh wait, some of the areas are hiding in white. White text, white backdrop, can't see them. Damn, I'm lost, and my mummy is back in Sol oblivious to my galaxy spanning adventures so it looks like I'm going without dinner tonight.

Seriously though, white text -> either drop shadow or put a box around it with a dark fill.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I believe we added a slight transparent background (alpha transparency value of 0.1 or 0.2) behind all text rendered.

There might be a config variable to set this, but you should at least see some shading in a rectangle shape unless your monitor gamma is way off.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Also, you can right click to move your mouse among different points of interest in the base interface.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

bgaskey wrote:Also, you can right click to move your mouse among different points of interest in the base interface.
Wouldn't the tab key be a better choice in this case?
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Wouldn't the tab key be a better choice in this case?
For some reason base interfaces don't take keypresses atm. buying and selling cargo would be much easier if it were hot keyed, but only the mouse interacts with the python base interfaces.
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Post by vodalian »

In my opinion, the bases really lowers the quality of this game. To me, this game would be more enjoyable and probably even more immersive if those retro looking low quality static images that you have to endlessly click through were replaced with just a simple text menu. You could also point the camera at the station/planet from a distance and use that as the background. But that's just my opinion.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Actually, they do now take keypresses... I suppose it should be easy to add this.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I'd take a look at it but my spring break was last week :(