Ability to Set SPEC multiplier and see 'real world' speed

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Ability to Set SPEC multiplier and see 'real world' speed

Post by Xit »

I was thinking it'd help a great deal if we could limit our SPEC multiplier to a sane number, as the problem I experience during (admittedly lazy) flying is as follows:

1) Trying to get to some jump point or base

2) point roughly in it's direction because the latency of moving the ship via keys is too awkward to get it precisely every time

3) Get distracted and miss the base by about 3 degrees, and go shooting off at allegedly 100x the speed of light, ending up around 2 light minutes away before SPEC can be shut down again.

If we had control over the multiplier then we could keep SPEC velocity down to something realistic for our intended journey. Also since SPEC is supposed to use more energy to compress space more, it makes sense to control velocity this way and keep our real world speed the same - it means we don't have to accelerate and deccelerate (which takes time).

Also I thought we should be able to see real world speed and not just effective SPEC speed, it would dissolve some of the confusion about speed, and tell us what our exit velocity will be when we leave SPEC (no more going splat into the fighter barracks) :wink:
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Your speed is a meaningless number it's velocity that matters(speed + direction) forget earthly habits it's all relative to a reference point in our case the system primary ATM or any other point that match velocity with.All that aside your velocity exiting SPEC is the same value as it was when you entered it so you want to avoid the splat slow down :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
cap601
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cap601 »

Which version are you currently using? The 0.5 beta/SVN, by default, uses an autopilot to steer you towards your target, making it much less likely to miss and overshoot your target. In your situation you'd just need to select the target, press a, and then wait until you get dropped out of SPEC at a reasonable distance from the target.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

one thing we do need to fix about spec is what happens when you hit a and you are stopped.

If autopilot changes your speed, yet keeps the set speed at 0, then this should be reflected when you exit spec as the ship should slow to a stop, not exit spec stopped, which is what it currently does i believe.

if autopilot doesn't change speed, then spec has a serious bug in that you shouldn't go anywhere when your speed is 0 and you turn on spec.

and like mentioned above, velocity is kind of abstract when in spec. Spec compresses space, meaning rather than actually going 100x the speed of light, you're just reducing the distance between you and your target such that if you were traveling normally, you'd have to go 100x the speed of light to be reducing the distance at the rate you are reducing it. So if you want to get really realistic, you could see the spec multiplier as a distance divider rather than having anything to do with your speed, since your speed remains constant throughout and SPEC doesn't alter speed at all. It's just a lot harder for people to visualize what that means.

Maybe it would be less confusing if we just used the multiplier value as our SPEC speed, and had an ETA , leaving the velocity alone.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
spiffariffic
Trader
Trader

Post by spiffariffic »

Maybe it would be less confusing if we just used the multiplier value as our SPEC speed, and had an ETA , leaving the velocity alone.
I agree with that idea. ETA would be a nice addition. And with the way SPEC works, changing the velocity indicator just doesn't fit in with the idea. If I remember right, .4.3 didn't change the velocity only the multiplier. (been a few weeks since I had it installed)

Then I could get up to do things while traveling in the game and not miss the destination... not like I've done that before, nooo. :oops:
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

There is a lot of confusion about this, everyone always seems to get the wrong end of the stick whenever I mention it. To clarify:

@ loki1950 - at the moment I generally get up to a good high velocity to escape from gravity wells, and then go right into SPEC. Right now I just use the afterburner because it's a fast way of doing it, and I can leave the set speed at 0, so during SPEC I drop to 0 over time. It works okay, but it's a silly way of doing it IMO.

I have controlled SPEC in the past (0.43) by slowing down my (lets call it thruster velocity) but this is slower and expends fuel, wheras just turning down the multiplier would be much more efficient, and allow us to choose thruster velocity separately, which is why it should be visible in cockpit.

@ cap601 - it's the SVN from about 2 weeks ago, I do use the autopilot when I'm lazy but it makes mistakes and I don't like it much. It doesn't feel like flying.

@safemode - when you say "leaving the velocity alone" do you mean the reported velocity will be the same as before entering SPEC, and then we'll have a multiplier for SPEC alongside? That's pretty much what I'd like to see....

The autopilot does all kinds of cheating and oes indeed need a fair bit of work, does it still toggle SPEC rapidly to cheat on capacitance?

As for the ETA, does this come back to the debate on whether course change during SPEC should be allowed?
Save The Economy

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Xit wrote:There is a lot of confusion about this, everyone always seems to get the wrong end of the stick whenever I mention it. To clarify:

@ loki1950 - at the moment I generally get up to a good high velocity to escape from gravity wells, and then go right into SPEC. Right now I just use the afterburner because it's a fast way of doing it, and I can leave the set speed at 0, so during SPEC I drop to 0 over time. It works okay, but it's a silly way of doing it IMO.
that's the kind of bugs i'm talking about. 0 velocity should result in no movement, no matter if spec is on or not. If we want to give autopilot the ability to change velocity that's another story.
I have controlled SPEC in the past (0.43) by slowing down my (lets call it thruster velocity) but this is slower and expends fuel, wheras just turning down the multiplier would be much more efficient, and allow us to choose thruster velocity separately, which is why it should be visible in cockpit.
controlling spec to that degree is really a bandaid over a problem that should get fixed, not swept under the rug. The problem is that we treat the ship as if it was moving at the velocity that SPEC has you percieve.

Rather than doing a transform in space of the ship moving while in spec, we should just be decreasing the distance,between the ship and it's destination. When that distance is 0, we drop out of spec and appear at the edge of the object's gravity well. We can handle objects getting in the way by doing a ray collision every frame between our current position and the destination and the same distance behind us. When we have a collision, we drop out of spec at the distance we had at that moment that an object got in our path. Each frame we do a transform to the new distance we are from the target.

This works logically even when something passes us from behind where we would drop out of spec, because technically, to compress space, we have to expand it, and we would be just as blocked from doing that if something was behind us as if it was in front of us. This also makes any sort of overshoot impossible, as autopilot would drop out of spec at 0 distance, so we know exactly where we'll be when we do the transform.

@ cap601 - it's the SVN from about 2 weeks ago, I do use the autopilot when I'm lazy but it makes mistakes and I don't like it much. It doesn't feel like flying.
every space fighter game has autopilot, many just hit a cutscene. All our autopilot really does is take the shortest route out of a gravity well and then spec to the destination. That's all you'd do without autopilot anyway. Unless you dont like the idea of being able to move around while specing. The whole dynamics of moving around while in spec is really really complicated if we want to stay consistant.

We ought to just say that the principles of SPEC make it impossible for the navigational computer to make it's realtime course corrections regarding the curvature of space at the distances we'll be heading in if spec flight is not mainaining a single direction. We would have to drop out of spec, make the course correction, and then spec off. Consequently, we cant spec without a target, because the spec engine requires two points of reference to make it's calculations and create a stable SPEC warp. Right now, the nav computer doesn't allow the input of coordinates, so we have to select targets. The target itself isn't what we spec to though just it's position at the time we start spec, so if it moves, we dont move with unless we drop out of spec and spec again.

that's how it should work in safemode land.

@safemode - when you say "leaving the velocity alone" do you mean the reported velocity will be the same as before entering SPEC, and then we'll have a multiplier for SPEC alongside? That's pretty much what I'd like to see....
reported velocity would be what it is if you were in plain space. You could alter your set speed, and that would change your apparent spec speed, giving you your ability to slow spec down, or speed it up. setting your speed to 0 should cause you to slow to a stop, even while still being in spec mode. Of course set speed and actual speed are different, thus using afterburners in spec should increase your apparent speed even more.
The autopilot does all kinds of cheating and oes indeed need a fair bit of work, does it still toggle SPEC rapidly to cheat on capacitance?

As for the ETA, does this come back to the debate on whether course change during SPEC should be allowed?
spec capacitance i believe has been effectively disabled, by making spec caps un-diminishable.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

safemode wrote:that's the kind of bugs i'm talking about. 0 velocity should result in no movement, no matter if spec is on or not. If we want to give autopilot the ability to change velocity that's another story.
This is the kind of misunderstanding I'm talking about. :lol: The thruster velocity decreases over time beacuse the ship brakes, and then I become stationary in a SPEC bubble short of my destination, as we'd all expect that I should.

controlling spec to that degree is really a bandaid over a problem that should get fixed, not swept under the rug. The problem is that we treat the ship as if it was moving at the velocity that SPEC has you percieve.
It doesn't really make any difference to me though whether we perceive it as shrinking the distance or increasing the speed though, I know which is correct, but I would still like to be able to control the degree to which SPEC shortens travel time, and do it separately to my real world speed. That may just be me though.
We would have to drop out of spec, make the course correction, and then spec off.
I can see that maybe this may have some extra time or energy penalty attached to it in future, but at present it's really no different to let the SPEC bubble collapse, turn the ship 2 degrees and then then start SPEC again, if there's no penalty then it may as well be a seamless process...
reported velocity would be what it is if you were in plain space. You could alter your set speed, and that would change your apparent spec speed, giving you your ability to slow spec down, or speed it up. setting your speed to 0 should cause you to slow to a stop, even while still being in spec mode. Of course set speed and actual speed are different, thus using afterburners in spec should increase your apparent speed even more.
Sounds great, that's half of this feature request covered :D
Save The Economy

Culture20
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Culture20 »

cap601 wrote:The 0.5 beta/SVN, by default, uses an autopilot to steer you towards your target, making it much less likely to miss and overshoot your target.
I find the opposite; in 0.5.0, the autopilot flies me past my target more than half of the time. Since SPEC is tied to the autopilot, I'm stuck flying in circles. Then, if I've got a ship with large mass (filled up with goods), the autopilot drops me too close to space stations; and too fast (even if I started out my journey at slow speed), so I always crash (after circling around).
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

The autopilot does seem to spec past targets often on my system. especially if I am approaching from far away at a high speed.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

It frequently SPECs through jump points for me but I assumed that this will have been fixed by now, and the circling round might be caused by the fact that stations are orbiting too fast in some systems, but both these issues are beside the point of this thread.
Save The Economy