Suggestion: make rocket pods act like guns

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Suggestion: make rocket pods act like guns

Post by Miramor »

Unguided rockets are a cheap way to increase your firepower, but being treated as missiles makes them a bit of a pain - you have to cycle to the right ones so you don't waste DFs or heatseekers or whatever, and you have to keep pressing the return key or the mouse button. IMHO it would be better to list them along with the guns, or at least make them fire when the gun key rather than the missile key is pressed, like with the Gauss and Hephaestus cannons in VS 0.4.x.

(Or maybe add a new category for "special" weapons, and a corresponding new key...)
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Another fix could (if I understand the complaint) be to have a key bound to fire all selected missiles so you could at least fire all 73 specials on an areus at once. its idiodic to have to fire each hail by itself. and it does nothing => makes them useless.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

That's because holding down the missile key only works for joystick users. I've complained about that in the past, but I think it might actually be better to just make the rocket pods fire along with the guns - that's basically what they're there for.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

either would be a step in the right direction (and would save wear on enter key on my keyboard 8) )
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That may also be a limitation of SDL in how it handles key presses and joysticks not sure have to dig through the docs.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

So it might be the case that, for SDL, a key has to be either hold-and-repeat or one-stroke-one-action for everything?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I think the once per missile tihng was intentional... I don't know why the joystick code would work differently than the keyboard code, but it is probably a bug in Vega Strike's code since SDL doesn't deal with key repeats.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

That's because holding down the missile key only works for joystick users.
This is not True at least using my Gameport Sidewinder. If i hold down the missile button it does not repeat fire.
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB